GPS to track ship position

oma&opa

I tried using the GPS in my cell phone along with a tracker ap on our last cruise - but it only worked on the balcony. Way too much grounded metal in the cabin.

I also doubt if either a car or handheld unit would work any better - perhaps a commercial one with a seperate antenna.

I’ve taken a GPS in the past and enjoyed seeing the names of communities and islands along the way. There’s a good chance your ship will have a real time map of where you are at on your TV as well as a bridge cam. Still nice to have the GPS though.

Thoughts...

Has anyone brought their GPS device to track the ship as it moves thru inside passage?

What ship, what line?

MickeyLive is on Celebrity Infinity doing the loop from Seattle. He always tracks the ship with GPS, includes the current track as part of his programs. Is also willing to share his track data so you can work with it later. If you are on a different ship, contact him via his Facebook page to ask for suggestions on equipment etc.

Thoughts...

A second plus for maps me

Not my cellphone !! I still have a dumb-phone -- the flip type. Looking for something that would be helpful and enriching for Kindle HD and/or my gps from the car.
Which car GPS model do you have?