NCL bans almost all carry-on beverages

As of 7/15, even a bottle of water bought in a port of call will not be allowed on.:eek: Of course, you can still carry some wine on at embarkation and pay the corkage fee.:rolleyes:

Can Royal be far behind in something like this?

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2016/07/05/norwegian-cruise-line-bans-almost-all-carry-on-beverages.html?intcmp=hpffo&intcmp=obnetwork

I have seen bins at security for Royal Caribbean cruises where people have had to throw out bottles of water they bought in port for years.

Bought in port, OK. What about bought on NCL ship at $5 each+/-, taken ashore, hardly touched then forced to throwaway upon reboarding ?

NCL's Bev Package excludes bottled water.

:eek:

Edited by pspercy

This is about cheapest form of nickel and dimeing I have seen. mMy soft drink of choice is diet Dr. Pepper, which they do not carry. And yes, it is enough to make a difference if I am sailing from a US port. I will opt to go with a line that will let me bring a 12 pack on board. Don't tell me it is security when it is actually profit margin.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Officially this is already the case...

And has been for years.

I have seen bins at security for Royal Caribbean cruises where people have had to throw out bottles of water they bought in port for years.

Yep, us too. Have seen the bins, have seen the security personnel take the bottles, have had to throw away our bottles.

I was surprised any line would let you bring water, sodas etc with you considering it's something they sell onboard. Maybe a six-pack but I've seen whole cases tagged for boarding.

I think Carnival got it right when they stopped it, they then lowered the onboard price of bottled water to something reasonable.

I feel like they had to do something. The terminal begins to look like a Walmart check out line with CASES!!! of water and soda being hauled on board. Some people had more groceries than luggage when arriving at the dock.

Does this really affect me or my cruise....nope, I don't care. RCI cares very much though and I can understand it.

I was surprised any line would let you bring water, sodas etc with you considering it's something they sell onboard. Maybe a six-pack but I've seen whole cases tagged for boarding.

I think Carnival got it right when they stopped it, they then lowered the onboard price of bottled water to something reasonable.

This is different then what royal or carnival has done from what I've read. Number one a 24 pack of water with ncl is almost $80. I get they need to make money but I can buy a case of water for under $4. That is crazy. And number two apparently their beverage packages don't include soda or water which is crappy.

I'm not familiar with ncl but it sounds like this is added to a list of pretty crappy changes including taking what once was a free restaurant on board and make it for fee.

I am really surprised that in this day of security that any liquids are allowed to be brought on in hand luggage at all. Why is it different than going on a plane which accepts only hold liquids so that they can be scanned/searched. To me, for security, it would make sense if they banned all liquids in hand luggage but instead provided an on board shop with a more reasonable mark up for water & soft drinks

Edited by fragilek

True, this is already the official policy but like MDR dress codes, Royal's enforcement is anything but consistent.;)

I have noticed the barrels for liquids at the terminal on embarkation day, but at ports of call, we have never been asked to dispose of a bottle of water. Guess we've been lucky!

I think part of the problem is luggage handling. People had started bringing so much on board it became a problem with weight... Also soda cans bursting all over loading area etc...

That being said, I don't mind if I can't bring my own, but they really need to address the cost of bottled water onboard.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Does it really matter? How many restaurants let you bring your own liquor or sodas in with you?

If you can afford a cruise, you can afford drinks. :cool:

A ship is more comparable to a hotel than a restaurant and there aren't many hotels that stop you from taking in drinks.

And it isn't always about affordability. People just like to feel like they are getting value for their money and not being ripped off. And if they don't feel something meets those criteria then they will look for ways around it. Some will have the attitude that they are on vacation and don't care how much they spend. Some will smuggle and some will choose to go without.

One thing is for sure, you have no idea what someone else's position is and what they can, and cannot, afford.

Does it really matter? How many restaurants let you bring your own liquor or sodas in with you?

If you can afford a cruise, you can afford drinks. :cool:

Lots of restaurants are BYOB

A cruise ship isn't a restaurant

Choosing to afford a cruise and choosing to afford the often significantly overpriced drinks on-board have nothing to do with each other (14.00 for a bad margarita? no thanks).

I always get the premium drink package, so water and soda are included. I also bring a case of water and a 12 pack of coke with me for the room. I like the availability of having something in the room while I'm getting ready or waiting on the wife.

If Royal enforced the rules, I would simply get extra bottles of water on the first day and fill my cabin. Coke would be an issue, but I still would never buy something out of the mini fridge.

We mainly cruise Royal but did go on the Getaway last year and had a wonderful time. I did notice that on Royal I'd see the odd case of water and maybe a 12 pack of some type of soda on boarding day. On the NCL Getaway it seemed everyone had cases of water and multiple 12 packs of soda.

As others have said above, it probably just got to be too much. All the cruise lines make their money off drinks and gambling, at some point enough has to be enough. I think NCL just went a bit over board on the rule change, they should have removed the soda and allowed one case of water per cabin and been done with it. Or dropped the price of their bottled water to $1 per bottle, that's $24 per case that anyone can by for $2.99, still a hefty profit.

....................even if I was promised a case of any booze or beverage I wish I would never set foot on any NCL ship again...............also isn't this a RCL site?..........moderators PLEASE flush any mention of NCL down the toilet............;)

The NCL water thread is going crazy. Many people are ready to jump ship over a case of water. I cannot imagine how bad cruising would suck, for me, if the greatest part of the vacation was being able to carry on a case of water. Comical to say the least.

The NCL water thread is going crazy. Many people are ready to jump ship over a case of water. I cannot imagine how bad cruising would suck, for me, if the greatest part of the vacation was being able to carry on a case of water. Comical to say the least.

Like everything else. 99% of people that say that will never jump.

I've got a whole list of tagged threads where people said no smoking on balconies would make them jump, make Royal go bankrupt, etc.

I tag a lot of threads where people make those claims. Those same posters keep going on Royal ships. They never quit.