Buffet to cabin - Questions

knotgillty

Wife and I prefer eating breakfast & lunch on our balcony. No crowds and we enjoy the privacy & leisure of having a meal while watching the water from our balcony. The room service menu is limited, so we prefer bringing food from the buffet, to our room.

Does anyone use food trays to hold multiple plates & drinks for the journey from the buffet, to the cabin?

What do you do to keep food warm on the way back to the room?

Any other tips for transporting food/drink onboard the ship?

Wife and I prefer eating breakfast & lunch on our balcony. No crowds and we enjoy the privacy & leisure of having a meal while watching the water from our balcony. The room service menu is limited, so we prefer bringing food from the buffet, to our room.

Does anyone use food trays to hold multiple plates & drinks for the journey from the buffet, to the cabin?

I travel with my Mom and wife. Mom is 92 and needs food to take her medicine, and my wife suffers from migraines and also needs food for her meds. I have a plastic bento container that i got that has 2 levels to it. One has 4 cups in it, and the other doesn't. I can put fruit, eggs, whatever in the cups, and toast, pastry in the other. The 2 have a strap that attaches them together. It's like a tupperware lunch box. My wife uses her hydroflask for her hot water for her tea. You could also just use the room door hanger to get breakfast. I get up early and exercise, so I do it this way to my Moms room and back to ours. We always try to stay as far aft as we can. We like the ride there and the proximity to the lido buffet.

No trays in the buffet.

You may have to call room service to get one.

I've been on a couple cruises and if my memory serves me, in your room, the glasses, napkins, and things are sitting on a tray on top of the refrigerator cupboard. Could that be used?

I've been on a couple cruises and if my memory serves me, in your room, the glasses, napkins, and things are sitting on a tray on top of the refrigerator cupboard. Could that be used?

Yes. Take the tray from your room with you to the buffet and then take the food back down to the room. People do it all the time. Don't forget to take some forks, etc. with you when you leave the buffet.

I've always asked for a tray and have been given one.

Sorry, I realize I wasn't clear. I ask for one in the buffet and get one. They usually have them sitting in a corner by the drinks station. Just tell them you are taking food to you room.

The tiny trays in your room are hardly worth the effort. They're not much larger than the size of the large plates as I recall and possibly even smaller. ;)

Also- take a handful of forks, knives & spoons & napkins at the beginning of your trip & store them for future meals. You won't have to worry to take some each time.

Edited by floridalover5623

For those rare occasions when taking food from HC, etc., like afternoon balcony snacks - we take along a few sheets of heavy duty foil wrap. Cover plate(s)...fold over (tray optional) and presto a great "back-to-cabin-take-out" for hot/cold stuff with no elevator/passageway spills.

For those rare occasions when taking food from HC, etc., like afternoon balcony snacks - we take along a few sheets of heavy duty foil wrap. Cover plate(s)...fold over (tray optional) and presto a great "back-to-cabin-take-out" for hot/cold stuff with no elevator/passageway spills.

I like that idea.:D

You could buy a box of the individual sheets of foil and bring however many you think you'll need. I have plastic "envelopes" that are the size of 8X11 paper sheets. These could easily transport the foil (maybe folded once or twice to fit) and keep them from getting wrinkled during packing.

We've done this on rare occasion. You can cover your hot food with a inverted plate. Not the best, but it will work.

I always pack a stainless steel thermos for coffee (or hot tea). You could buy large plastic glasses with lids for cold drinks. But I truly enjoy my coffee and it stays warm for a long while. Often. I'll use a coffee card or pay for a coffee at IC... Just very handy.

No trays in the buffet.

You may have to call room service to get one.

This is interesting. We are going on our first Princess cruise in October (we've been on Royal, X and NCL) and this is the first time I've ever heard that there are no trays in the buffet.

This is interesting. We are going on our first Princess cruise in October (we've been on Royal, X and NCL) and this is the first time I've ever heard that there are no trays in the buffet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wrong - many trays stacked at entrances to Horizon Court buffet. No worries.

No trays stacked in the lido on any princess ship that I've been on.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are correct - another senior moment - it's plates not trays.

I have never seen food trays offered anywhere in the HC. If you go to the drink area, they have trays that the glasses are on and you might be able to snag one of them. Usually though they watch the area to keep it clean etc and take away the trays as soon as the glasses are removed.