Bayonne exit 14a construction

Finabear

Thanks for posting those pictures. That helps so much. we will be heading through on Aug 6 so hopefully nothing changes:)

Thanks again for taking the time to take these pictures! The visual is such a help!

I'm glad I was able to help. :) I don't think anything will change anytime soon, but I go through the toll plaza almost daily, so I'll be able to fill you in on any changes.

Sorry to rehash some of this but this is our first time in this area and frankly I am a bit nervous. Yes, Google Maps says to get on Avenue E. If its possible to get in the 440 lane is taking the 440 a better/easier route to the port? We are coming from Western NY and staying in Parsippany the night prior coming down NJ-24 to I-78.

Sorry to rehash some of this but this is our first time in this area and frankly I am a bit nervous. Yes, Google Maps says to get on Avenue E. If its possible to get in the 440 lane is taking the 440 a better/easier route to the port? We are coming from Western NY and staying in Parsippany the night prior coming down NJ-24 to I-78.

You can, but with the current configuration, until they get the completed ramps to 440, it's easier and quicker to take E.

With 440, you go up & over to 440, merge with trucks, and you have to do a U-Turn to get into the port. NJ is the land of no left turns.

No matter which way you go, you'll get there, so please don't worry. Waze was updated, too, and has current information.

With the 14A construction does that impact at all leaving the port to get on I-78 West? We will be returning from our cruise Aug 11th and driving from the Port back to The Pittsburgh, PA area. Just wondering if getting to I78 West from the port has changed at all? As always any information is appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
Turnpike pictures! I went to IKEA tonight and on the way home I asked my husband to drive so I could take pictures of the approach. We were on the Turnpike's Newark Bay Extension heading east, exited at 14A, and this is what our toll plaza currently looks like:

13659111_10154217837970149_7996618009921178091_n.jpg?oh=0f6e33e09811c33ea1eddb10f3617332&oe=57EEFCD5

13709803_10154217838030149_5961969670571881533_n.jpg?oh=b480948df1e0adad2a7a864389aedf88&oe=57EFCC5D

So, for anyone who hasn't been here before or hasn't been here in awhile, this is it. You can see that over to the right are three lanes marked 53rd St, then two marked Avenue E, and then two marked 440. It's hard to jockey over to 440 when you're approaching from this direction when there's traffic. I hope this helps explain things a bit for anyone who needs it.

Ok... I am all kinds of confused. I thought 440 was to the right (west) of Avenue E after you come through the toll booth. I was under the impression it was up that ramp on the right that curves around to the left, but if thats right, why do they have the booths all the way to the left market for 440 ?

Just when I though I had t all figured out too :(

It's because of the construction. 440 used to be in the center - the ramp would go up - with 53rd to the right and Avenue E all the way left. Now they are diverting people around that old ramp so that's why 440 is all the way left and Avenue E is on the right.

Don't worry, though. It really is easy to get to the port. If you take Avenue E, turn left at 40th St, right onto Chosin Way, and left onto the road into the port.

Carol is right, Fall, 2018. Of course there could be delays. The Bayonne Bridge project is currently 2 years behind schedule.

wow that is a long time, we are cruising in January 2017, but figure by then who knows what it will look like

I'm not an engineer, but I'm sure every construction project has its own unique challenges. The Bayonne Bridge is having its elevation raised to allow larger shipping vessels access to area Ports. The New Jersey Turnpike Authority is rebuilding Interchange 14A, which I think everyone who knows it would agree that it badly needs the upgrade. The Turnpike undertook a very large widening project between Interchanges 6 and 9 in central jersey. That project was larger and more expensive yet they finished on time. So history tells me that the Turnpike is pretty good at keeping the delays to a minimum.

Are you using GPS? The best route is Route 3 to the NJ Turnpike South, to the 14-A-B-C exits (Turnpike's Newark Bay Extension/Route 78) to Exit 14A. Local roads are more likely to have closures but you shouldn't be affected.

Looking at Google Maps right now, I don't see route 3.

You do NOT want to get off at exit 15E and take route 440. That is a truck route and you will not be happy with it. Spend the money on the turnpike tolls and follow the signs to Exit 14A.

I'll second that. 440 is a nightmare, I'm on it every day.

It's because of the construction. 440 used to be in the center - the ramp would go up - with 53rd to the right and Avenue E all the way left. Now they are diverting people around that old ramp so that's why 440 is all the way left and Avenue E is on the right.

Don't worry, though. It really is easy to get to the port. If you take Avenue E, turn left at 40th St, right onto Chosin Way, and left onto the road into the port.

We were not familiar with the area and We followed these instructions on a Sunday morning 10 am ish and it was a breeze via Ave E.

We will be driving to the port from Secaucus. What's the best route to take? We board on Thursday. One of the routes on Google Maps exits at 15E to route 440. Is that the best way to go?

We followed the instructions from route 3, NJ turnpike, turnpike extension towards Holland Tunnel( ? The 78) to exits 14 A, B, C to the 14 A toll plaza, Ave E cash, and to port via Chosen Few Way. It was very easy , and well signed.