Bayonne exit 14a construction

Finabear

• 2 months later...
Going on the Anthem out of Cape Liberty Feb. 26th 2017, is all the construction done on the roads? We are driving in from South Jersey. Port direction signs up yet?

I'm going through there on Tuesday and will report back. It's a long term construction project, so I don't think it's done yet.

I'm going through there on Tuesday and will report back. It's a long term construction project, so I don't think it's done yet.

Don't worry folks. It is as good as it's been in a long time. The trip over the bridge is a snap now, and if you choose Avenue E (to the right of the bridge, and straight from there), you can take the left turn at 45th Street or 40th, make the right at the end of the road, pass the fire department and the left at the end takes you down to the port. The only time it is really bad, is early morning (before 10) because of all the trucks going to the marine terminal, but no on should be arriving that early.

Don't worry folks. It is as good as it's been in a long time. The trip over the bridge is a snap now, and if you choose Avenue E (to the right of the bridge, and straight from there), you can take the left turn at 45th Street or 40th, make the right at the end of the road, pass the fire department and the left at the end takes you down to the port. The only time it is really bad, is early morning (before 10) because of all the trucks going to the marine terminal, but no on should be arriving that early.

Sounds reassuring. Thanks!

Going next Sunday on the Anthem, do you still stay all the way to the left after the toll? Are signs up now for the port?

Here is an update on 14A. The exiting pattern has changed again. If you are coming eastbound there are three toll lanes. Farthest to the left will be the easiest to get on 440 south to the port. The middle toll will be the easiest to go Avenue E (basically straight ahead through the toll). You can then take Ave E to 45th or 40th Street and make a left. Make a right at the bottom past the fire house, to the end, and a left will take you down the port.

Here is an update on 14A. The exiting pattern has changed again. If you are coming eastbound there are three toll lanes. Farthest to the left will be the easiest to get on 440 south to the port. The middle toll will be the easiest to go Avenue E (basically straight ahead through the toll). You can then take Ave E to 45th or 40th Street and make a left. Make a right at the bottom past the fire house, to the end, and a left will take you down the port.

Thanks for the update Joe. I went through there last week on a shuttle bus and was surprised at how easy it was. Our driver took the Ave E route which I had never done before. He went through the middle toll and straight ahead. Just a little up the road there was a choice between curving left and bearing right onto Ave E. I didn't think this choice was well marked ahead of time, but perhaps I just didn't see the sign.

Anyway once you're on Ave E, you're on a local street with a few traffic lights. Very straightforward. You just watch the street numbers and make a left at the traffic light by 45th St. There is a small bridge over the light rail and you go to the end, bear right, go to the end, and make a left onto Goldsborough Drive. The route is signed.

Don't know what the 440 route is like now, but in my experience there were always big trucks on it and long traffic lights. The Ave E route is not big truck accessible and is probably a better car experience overall.

NYNJ Port Authority announced that the Bayonne Bridge will be open tomorrow (Monday) and the long term constuction work in raising the bridge by 64 ft. has been completed. Cashless toll using EZ-Pass or Payment-by-Mail systgem will be used - it should the congestion in the area, both on weekdays & weekends.

http://abc7ny.com/traffic/newly-raised-bayonne-bridge-to-open-to-drivers-monday/1762325/

Whether there will be and any/all changes in traffic patterns remained to be seen - been avoiding that area in general, not to mention that well-known problems with GPS navigation systems going nuts. This should be a welcome news for Cape Liberty cruisers and even those indirectly using EWR, and reduce traffic on SI's Outerbridge crossing. Just a quickie heads-up to allow all of the CL & NJ experts to fill in the details - have a great President Day / holiday weekend.

NYNJ Port Authority announced that the Bayonne Bridge will be open tomorrow (Monday) and the long term constuction work in raising the bridge by 64 ft. has been completed. Cashless toll using EZ-Pass or Payment-by-Mail systgem will be used - it should the congestion in the area, both on weekdays & weekends.

http://abc7ny.com/traffic/newly-raised-bayonne-bridge-to-open-to-drivers-monday/1762325/

Whether there will be and any/all changes in traffic patterns remained to be seen - been avoiding that area in general, not to mention that well-known problems with GPS navigation systems going nuts. This should be a welcome news for Cape Liberty cruisers and even those indirectly using EWR, and reduce traffic on SI's Outerbridge crossing. Just a quickie heads-up to allow all of the CL & NJ experts to fill in the details - have a great President Day / holiday weekend.

That's terrific and unexpected news! I just got off the Anthem where I met two life long residents of Bayonne/Jersey City. I quizzed them about the expected time line for completing the Bayonne Bridge construction and they basically said there was no firm completion date! Go figure.

What was scary for me yesterday was to hear about the Bayonne plane crash on Ave E near 41st St yesterday just after 10 am as I was driving home. I went right through that area around 8 am! Many transports are using 41st or 45th Street to get to Ave E to get to the Turnpike.

Opening of the new raised roadway deck to traffic doesn't mean work on the bridge and its approach roads has been completed. As you can see from the Port Authority's Bayonne Bridge advisory web page, there are numerous closures scheduled for this week including overnights on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and a continuous 25 hour closure from 9 pm Friday until 10 pm Saturday. Travelers should still visit the PA's website to get the latest closure schedule:

http://www.panynj.gov/alerts-advisories/advisories-bayonne-bridge.html

I want to clarify something here. The Bayonne Bridge is not Exit 14A on the Turnpike. It is at the other end of Bayonne and the only people it should affect would be anyone coming from either Staten Island or Long Island. Anyone else would still be better served by using Exit 14A. Refer to my recent post #109 for the latest configuration.

Thanks for this info. We leave on the Anthem this coming Sunday. We are coming up the turnpike from Philly. When we get to 14A, would you suggest taking 440 or Avenue E? Is there signage on 440 or Avenue E?

Thanks for this info. We leave on the Anthem this coming Sunday. We are coming up the turnpike from Philly. When we get to 14A, would you suggest taking 440 or Avenue E? Is there signage on 440 or Avenue E?

Living in Philly I would assume you do know that the PA/NJ turnpike connector bridge is closed for at least the next month or two. This would normally be 1 of the top choices from the NE.

440. There are definately signs. Coming from 14A, You turn LEFT JUST BEFORE the 34th street Light Rail station, which is the second station on the right side. There's a Left-Trun bay.

If you pass the Supermarket on the left (I think it's Stop and Shop), you went too far. Just find a U-turn and head back on 440 North. The pier will then be on your right.

I tried to put pictures from Google maps in, but it failed (Probably too big) sorry.

Don't worry, it sounds a lot more complicated than it is.

Either works easily on a Sunday. If you want to take Avenue E just stay to the right of the bridge right after the tolls and go straight. This is Avenue E. Don't make any turns here. You will end up back on the turnpike if you make the U-turn on your left. You will follow it to either 45th or 40th Street. There are bridges at either street. Make a left. At the bottom, got to the right past the firehouse. At the end of the road make the left and you will be on the road to the port.