Bayonne exit 14a construction

Finabear

We followed the instructions from route 3, NJ turnpike, turnpike extension towards Holland Tunnel( ? The 78) to exits 14 A, B, C to the 14 A toll plaza, Ave E cash, and to port via Chosen Few Way. It was very easy , and well signed.

We leave on a Thursday so there will be much more traffic than on Sunday. What do you mean by Ave E cash?

We leave on a Thursday so there will be much more traffic than on Sunday. What do you mean by Ave E cash?

Look at Baileymouse's pictures of the toll plaza in post 20. There is a lane with a header of "Ave E" at the top with "Cash" underneath. Using that toll booth will position you to get on Ave E without having to scoot across lanes after paying the toll.

Look at Baileymouse's pictures of the toll plaza in post 20. There is a lane with a header of "Ave E" at the top with "Cash" underneath. Using that toll booth will position you to get on Ave E without having to scoot across lanes after paying the toll.

We use EZ Pass. Anyway to do that?

We use EZ Pass. Anyway to do that?

Ezpass is always acceptable for paying a NJ Turnpike toll. The toll booths are clearly marked whether they accept Ezpass, cash or both.

Please take the time to look at the excellent pictures in post #20 and perhaps even print them out to reference on your trip to the port.

I tried accessing the pictures using IE and Chrome - no luck! On my phone they are too small to see. Any suggestions?

I can see them using safari on my iPhone and they can be enlarged with a two finger outward sweep.

It dies the really matter since all the toll booths at this exit appear to take Ezpass.

Edited by 138east

From the Bayonne website:08/12/16: Construction Update

Can someone local translate?

We are going on the Anthem the Saturday of Labor Day weekend

Posted on August 12, 2016

The following work is scheduled over the next three weeks:

Toll Plaza

East side (entering 14A): renovation of existing Toll Utility Building continues.

Toll Lane 3 & 4 reconstruction continues.

During the weekend of 08/12 – 08/14/16, northbound Avenue E between 52nd Street and the Toll Plaza will be reduced to a single lane to accommodate Toll Lane construction. The traffic will be reduced from 8:00PM Friday to 8:00AM Saturday. This work will be supported by Bayonne Police.

During the weekend of 08/26 – 08/28/16, Toll Lanes 3 & 4 will reopen and Toll Lanes 5 & 6 will be closed to accommodate staged construction. Toll Lanes 5 & 6 are expected to be closed for 10 weeks. In support of the Toll Plaza work, northbound Avenue E will be temporarily reduced to a single lane between 52nd Street and the Toll Plaza to implement the change. This work will be supported by Bayonne Police.

Ramps between the Toll Plaza and the Hudson County Extension (HCE)

Widening construction continues on the ramps to and from the west bound HCE.

Local street level work at Garfield, Avenue C and JFK Boulevard bridges continues. This work will also be supported by Jersey City and Bayonne Police as needed.

Work continues on a VMS Sign Structure under the Turnpike Bridge over Route 440, near the Newark Bay. Access is being provided from Route 440.

A new work zone has been created along the east bound HCE ramp to the Toll Plaza.During the weekend of of 08/19 – 08/21/16, traffic on this ramp will be reduced to a single lane, 9:00PM Friday to 6:00PM Sunday.

Avenue E / Proposed Roundabout

New retaining wall and roadway construction on Avenue E near 53rd Street continues.

Begin construction of new bridge deck. This work will be supported by Bayonne Police as needed.

Connector Bridge (Bridge from the Toll Plaza to Port Jersey Boulevard)

A two-way traffic pattern has been implemented on the bridge ramp from Port Jersey Boulevard to the Toll Plaza.

Pedestrian usage of the bridge for access to and from Port Jersey Boulevard continues to be prohibited. Please CLICK HERE for shuttle bus pamphlet.

Route 440 and Pulaski Street Intersection / Jughandle

During the weekend of 08/26/16, northbound and southbound Route 440 will be reduced to a single travel lane in each direction and the southbound Pulaski Street Jughandle will be closed, 9:00PM Friday through 4:00AM Monday, for bridge girder erection. In addition, overnight, Friday night and Saturday night, 11:00PM to 8:00AM, Route 440 will be detoured through the area. Bayonne and Jersey City Police will provide assistance as needed.

The southbound Route 440 Jughandle at Pulaski Street has been reduced to a single lane and a median work zone has been established in Route 440.

New bridge pier construction will continue.

Ramp roadway construction will continue.

Ramp Area East of Route 440

New ramp construction continues.

Retaining wall construction continues.

Bridge abutment construction continues.

Oy!

The toll lanes are numbered across, so they're going to be closing some of the lanes that are more to the left. You can still take Ave E to get to the port and avoid all the construction on 440 at Pulaski with that turn-around.

Going back to the turnpike to leave Bayonne, the Avenue E approach becomes two lanes a couple of blocks before the toll plaza. One of those lanes will disappear, meaning it'll be a little more congested getting back up onto the turnpike.

I'm leaving for my own cruise on Sunday so I won't be on for the next week, but I'll try to answer what I can and take more pictures of the turnpike interchange when I return.

• 2 weeks later...

I am assuming if you do not have the EZ Pass, your only other option is cash. Do any of them take credit cards? If cash, is the required amount to be paid in coins? Or will they also take paper currency? Must the amount be exact, or is there personnel who can give change?

Thank you in advance. We will be coming from the Homewood Suites in Somerset on Sunday morning.

I am assuming if you do not have the EZ Pass, your only other option is cash. Do any of them take credit cards? If cash, is the required amount to be paid in coins? Or will they also take paper currency? Must the amount be exact, or is there personnel who can give change?

Thank you in advance. We will be coming from the Homewood Suites in Somerset on Sunday morning.

No credit cards. They take paper currency and give change and will accept coins (not sure about pennies - I wouldn't plan on using pennies)

Not really cruise related, so delete if inappropriate. Any suggestions for a place for 2 young men to stay for a visit to NYC in Sept. Needs to be cheap but safe.

What is your budget? What are your exact dates? Are you flying into EWR? Are you OK with staying in NJ?

What is your budget? What are your exact dates? Are you flying into EWR? Are you OK with staying in NJ?

Sorry should have said! They are driving....almost considering sleeping in car! Is that allowed? NJ is ok as long as safe. We stayed in Lyndhurst which worked perfectly. Hostels would be ok for them, but need to be able to park somewhere. Would be the week of 10th Sept maybe Sun- wed.

Sorry should have said! They are driving....almost considering sleeping in car! Is that allowed? NJ is ok as long as safe. We stayed in Lyndhurst which worked perfectly. Hostels would be ok for them, but need to be able to park somewhere. Would be the week of 10th Sept maybe Sun- wed.

Parking is a problem. Hostels aren't that cheap in Manhattan. How much can they pay for a room? How old are these young men?

Parking is a problem. Hostels aren't that cheap in Manhattan. How much can they pay for a room? How old are these young men?

Late 20s. Wondered if they could park and commute in and stay a couple of nights at a hostel. Saw some at 35-50. Presume per person?

Late 20s. Wondered if they could park and commute in and stay a couple of nights at a hostel. Saw some at 35-50. Presume per person?

What exactly are you looking at? Ditching their car for several days could be a problem.

Nothing in New York is cheap. If it is very cheap there is something wrong with it. Have they looked into YMCA?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What exactly are you looking at? Ditching their car for several days could be a problem.

I don't really know what to suggest they do, just wondered if anyone had any suggestions. They would definately have a car and want to see NYC. Options are flexible but money is short! They may be able to manage the quality inn at Lyndhurst. $121 per night with breakfast.

I just realised this is in the Bayonne exit thread not the NYC thread!

I don't really know what to suggest they do, just wondered if anyone had any suggestions. They would definately have a car and want to see NYC. Options are flexible but money is short! They may be able to manage the quality inn at Lyndhurst. $121 per night with breakfast.

I just realised this is in the Bayonne exit thread not the NYC thread!

Here's the best all round solution I can offer.

LastMinuteTravel has the Robert Treat in Newark for $114.81 plus tax ($397.80) total queen bed. Refrigerator, free wifi, TV, free breakfast, free parking, and free shuttle to Newark Penn Station. PATH trains to NY are $2.75. On Mon, Tues, Wed they can take Path to both midtown and downtown. On Sun path only runs to downtown where they can connect to the NYC subway.

This is a nice hotel - I have stayed there. You will feel comfortable about them staying there. But......it is Newark so you must insist they use the hotel shuttle coming back at night even though the hotel is only 6-7 blocks from the station. I assume that they have cell phones to call for the shuttle.

Direct train to midtown for $5.50/pp is also available, but if they're really on a budget, they can take Path and transfer at Journal square to go to midtown Manhattan where they can walk to lots of places on Mon, Tues & Wed.

This gets them a safe place to stay, safe parking, the cheapest transportation into the city, free breakfast food, and free wifi. If it's still too pricey, maybe you can help them out for your own peace of mind.

Don't forget that the Staten Island ferry is free. Walking across the Brooklyn Bridge is free. Tons of free things to do in New York to amuse yourself if you look for them.

LastMinuteTravel has the Robert Treat in Newark for $114.81 plus tax ($397.80) total queen bed. Refrigerator, free wifi, TV, free breakfast, free parking, and free shuttle to Newark Penn Station. PATH trains to NY are $2.75. On Mon, Tues, Wed they can take Path to both midtown and downtown. On Sun path only runs to downtown where they can connect to the NYC subway.

This is a nice hotel - I have stayed there. You will feel comfortable about them staying there. But......it is Newark so you must insist they use the hotel shuttle coming back at night even though the hotel is only 6-7 blocks from the station. I assume that they have cell phones to call for the shuttle.

Direct train to midtown for $5.50/pp is also available, but if they're really on a budget, they can take Path and transfer at Journal square to go to midtown Manhattan where they can walk to lots of places on Mon, Tues & Wed.

This gets them a safe place to stay, safe parking, the cheapest transportation into the city, free breakfast food, and free wifi. If it's still too pricey, maybe you can help them out for your own peace of mind.

Don't forget that the Staten Island ferry is free. Walking across the Brooklyn Bridge is free. Tons of free things to do in New York to amuse yourself if you look for them.

Thanks so much I will pass this on to them!

When we sailed from Bayonne in 2014 we parked at an airport parking facility, took the patting shuttle to the airport (free) and then took a bus into Manhattan. I cannot recall the name of the bus but it was a service for air passengers so the carry-on we took was easy. We bought round-trip bus fare which is cheaper. Then the could stay at the Y or a hostel, perhaps in Manhattan which is more convenient than travelling back and forth to NJ for a few nights stay.

Thanks for this useful info. Gonna need them in Oct.