Bayonne exit 14a construction

Finabear

A roundabout? That is how they will deal with with increasing traffic to the Bayonne port off exit 14A? Seriously?

Pic:

http://0372ff8.netsolhost.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/A9R8733.jpg

Link:

http://www.njta14a.com/about

Just doing recon for Anthem cruise and found this. There is a simple roundabout near where I grew up that has been there forever and it still confuses everyone including the locals. Oy.

That said, the links may be helpful for others...

Do the Exit instructions for 14A still hold true to get to the Port? Last I had seen it was exit 14A and stay left and follow signs to 440S? Does that still hold true?

Edited by missingyou

We're just going to have to rely on our Bayonne residents to keep us updated on the changes to the Exit 14A traffic patterns. They have been doing a great job ever since this construction started!

As complicated as it looks, I think it will be better than what's there. The first picture of the current configuration shows extremely light traffic, which gives the wrong impression. I used to work out there and I can tell you that during the week with heavy truck and vehicle traffic, it's mayhem. Hopefully, the engineers get it right. Only time will tell.

I used to go to IMTT in Bayonne quite a bit (it is just a bit south of the cruise port for those that don't know) and I always thought the biggest problem was where the stupid toll booth was/is. That to me always seem to mess up the works for traffic going into Bayonne.

When you're approaching the toll plaza, the toll lanes have signs above them for 440, Avenue E and 53rd St. If you can't get over to the 440 one for some reason, don't worry. You can take Avenue E. It's sometimes hard to jockey into the correct lane right now. If you do wind up on E, don't turn around and get back on the Turnpike, I see people making that mistake.

Once you're on E you can turn left at 40th St, right at the stop sign onto Chosin Few Way, and then left on Goldsborough Drive, the road into the cruise port.

Just be careful, things like this seem to happen as people try to cross over to the toll lane/street they want. This was morning rush on July 5:

13612208_10208414743898644_4222497654363475202_n.jpg?oh=6d660c45ab4f3faa478377e10d6dd5ab&oe=57F07073

When you're approaching the toll plaza, the toll lanes have signs above them for 440, Avenue E and 53rd St. If you can't get over to the 440 one for some reason, don't worry. You can take Avenue E. It's sometimes hard to jockey into the correct lane right now. If you do wind up on E, don't turn around and get back on the Turnpike, I see people making that mistake.

Once you're on E you can turn left at 40th St, right at the stop sign onto Chosin Few Way, and then left on Goldsborough Drive, the road into the cruise port.

Just be careful, things like this seem to happen as people try to cross over to the toll lane/street they want. This was morning rush on July 5:

13612208_10208414743898644_4222497654363475202_n.jpg?oh=6d660c45ab4f3faa478377e10d6dd5ab&oe=57F07073

So am I trying to get in the lane marked in blue in the attached diagram? We are coming from Michigan and staying in Parsippany the night before our July 23rd Anthem cruise. Thanks!

http://www.njta14a.com/newtrafficpattern/

So am I trying to get in the lane marked in blue in the attached diagram? We are coming from Michigan and staying in Parsippany the night before our July 23rd Anthem cruise. Thanks!

http://www.njta14a.com/newtrafficpattern/

Yes - but you are doing it on a Sat morning, so it should be easier for you. If you get onto Port Jersey Blvd, you stay to the right, make the first right, make the next right, and go to the traffic light at route 440. You make a left, stay to the left, and make the first left onto Goldborough Drive. If you pull up a google map of Bayonne, you can see the bigger picture of where you are going.

Perhaps someone from Bayonne can confirm that this hasn't changed since I did it in March.

Yes - but you are doing it on a Sat morning, so it should be easier for you. If you get onto Port Jersey Blvd, you stay to the right, make the first right, make the next right, and go to the traffic light at route 440. You make a left, stay to the left, and make the first left onto Goldborough Drive. If you pull up a google map of Bayonne, you can see the bigger picture of where you are going.

Perhaps someone from Bayonne can confirm that this hasn't changed since I did it in March.

Yes, still like that, but it's slightly harder to get into exact lanes coming off of the Turnpike. Coming east on 78 into Bayonne, you're more likely to be dumped onto Avenue E because (right to left) the toll plazas are E. 53rd, E 53rd, Ave. E, Ave, E, then 440, 440. The two right-most lanes are EZ pass only. Then the next Ave E lane is usually cash so out-of-towners are jockeying over.

If you wind up on Ave E, take Ave. E to East 40th, make a left, make a right at the stop sign onto Chosin Few, then make a left at the next stop sign onto Goldsborough (which merges with Port Terminal Blvd) and you'll go straight into the port.

Right now Google Maps is saying to take E instead of 440, probably because of the construction.

Yes, still like that, but it's slightly harder to get into exact lanes coming off of the Turnpike. Coming east on 78 into Bayonne, you're more likely to be dumped onto Avenue E because (right to left) the toll plazas are E. 53rd, E 53rd, Ave. E, Ave, E, then 440, 440. The two right-most lanes are EZ pass only. Then the next Ave E lane is usually cash so out-of-towners are jockeying over.

If you wind up on Ave E, take Ave. E to East 40th, make a left, make a right at the stop sign onto Chosin Few, then make a left at the next stop sign onto Goldsborough (which merges with Port Terminal Blvd) and you'll go straight into the port.

Right now Google Maps is saying to take E instead of 440, probably because of the construction.

Thanks Adele. That makes a lot of sense. If you use EZ pass, you can get squeezed out of the route 440 lane.

Thanks Adele. That makes a lot of sense. If you use EZ pass, you can get squeezed out of the route 440 lane.

It's crazy. When I'm on the turnpike heading west from Jersey City and I get off, I have to go across a bunch of lanes to get to where I need to be. For me it's easier to go Liberty State Park and avoid the hassle if it's rush hour.

Well I don't want that! Do all the toll booths accept the EZ-Pass or there cash only toll booths?

Edited by scottygirl

Well I don't want that! Do all the toll booths accept the EZ-Pass or there cash only toll booths?

All lanes accept EZ Pass, while only certain lanes accept cash.

I wish I could stop long enough to get a current picture of the approach but there's really no way right now.

So if I understand you right, once through the toll there is no "wrong way" and all ways can get me to the port?

Turnpike pictures! I went to IKEA tonight and on the way home I asked my husband to drive so I could take pictures of the approach. We were on the Turnpike's Newark Bay Extension heading east, exited at 14A, and this is what our toll plaza currently looks like:

13659111_10154217837970149_7996618009921178091_n.jpg?oh=0f6e33e09811c33ea1eddb10f3617332&oe=57EEFCD5

13709803_10154217838030149_5961969670571881533_n.jpg?oh=b480948df1e0adad2a7a864389aedf88&oe=57EFCC5D

So, for anyone who hasn't been here before or hasn't been here in awhile, this is it. You can see that over to the right are three lanes marked 53rd St, then two marked Avenue E, and then two marked 440. It's hard to jockey over to 440 when you're approaching from this direction when there's traffic. I hope this helps explain things a bit for anyone who needs it.

Great pictures! Thanks for making the effort to take them and post them for everyone to see.

Thanks, Carol, I really want people to know what they're going to see. I know it's confusing. You used to have to get all the way to the left to get to E and now it's all reversed.

So, for anyone who hasn't been here before or hasn't been here in awhile, this is it. You can see that over to the right are three lanes marked 53rd St, then two marked Avenue E, and then two marked 440. It's hard to jockey over to 440 when you're approaching from this direction when there's traffic. I hope this helps explain things a bit for anyone who needs it.

Thank you so much! The visual really helps!