Istanbul

shot2bits

Email from Celebrity.......

Istanbul Update - updated 30 June 2016

Dear Valued Guest,

As you may be aware, this past year there have been substantial security events in several major global cities, including the recent terror attack at the Atatürk Airport in Istanbul, Turkey.

After reviewing all of the available information and along with discussions with our Global Security team, Celebrity Cruises has decided to cancel all of its upcoming turnarounds in Istanbul, Turkey, and replaced them with Athens (Piraeus), Greece.

This impacts the following sailings:

- Celebrity Equinox: 9 July 2016, 16 July 2016, 25 August 2016, 7 September 2016

- Celebrity Constellation: 10 October 2016, 21 October 2016, 2 November 2016, 14 November 2016

This decision was made with the safety of our guests and crew at the forefront of our minds and in an abundance of caution. We realise this may have an impact on your travel plans and our team is working now on available alternative arrangements from this new port of embark and debarkation.

We understand how important your holiday is and we did not take this decision lightly.

With regard to air travel, please note that:

- If you have booked air transportation through Celebrity Cruises, you will receive modified flights at no cost.

- If you did not purchase air transportation through Celebrity Cruises, we will pay your airline change fee, up to £185. We ask that you please send a copy of the receipt for the change fee, along with a brief note explaining that you were booked on the above mentioned sailing dates to the following email address: customerrelationsuk@celebritycruises.com

We greatly appreciate your patience as we work through the details. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation, we look forward to welcoming you onboard.

Safe call!

So what if you used miles, and there's no availability for Athens? Would they pay for a connecting flight for you instead of the change fee?

We just sailed out of Athens, and it's a super easy port to navigate. Flights were tough, though. We flew into Amsterdam on miles and then paid cash to fly to Athens on Aegean Air.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Safe call!

So what if you used miles, and there's no availability for Athens? Would they pay for a connecting flight for you instead of the change fee?

We just sailed out of Athens, and it's a super easy port to navigate. Flights were tough, though. We flew into Amsterdam on miles and then paid cash to fly to Athens on Aegean Air.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

So, what if you live in Istanbul and have you are forced to buy a complete new flight? And what about the transfer from Athens airport to ship?

In my case, i bought a flight for 350USD (istanbul-athens), called celebrity last week but could not get an answer (told that they will call me), sent e-mail 2 times but no answer yet. Also airport to ship transfer is still unknown.

I hope celebrity will cover all my extra costs and also offer some OBC or FCC to compansate my travel time. I booked this cruise only because it departs from my home city and it is much more different walking to ship from home than spending 6-7 hours to reach to ship.

So, what if you live in Istanbul and have you are forced to buy a complete new flight? And what about the transfer from Athens airport to ship?

In my case, i bought a flight for 350USD (istanbul-athens), called celebrity last week but could not get an answer (told that they will call me), sent e-mail 2 times but no answer yet. Also airport to ship transfer is still unknown.

I hope celebrity will cover all my extra costs and also offer some OBC or FCC to compansate my travel time. I booked this cruise only because it departs from my home city and it is much more different walking to ship from home than spending 6-7 hours to reach to ship.

Why such an expensive flight?

for our cruise Nov

There are tickets available from $75 with a 23kg bag?

business for $300

Edited by insidecabin

Why such an expensive flight?

for our cruise Nov

There are tickets available from $75 with a 23kg bag?

business for $300

This cruise (16 July) is too much promoted and sold in Turkish market by several travel agents. I think they bought tickets before me. Now, all flights are nearly full. There is only 10 days left and its also logic to have high price than Nov. flights.

The 75$ price for economy ticket was a promotion of Turkish airlines for flights on Nov. and needed to be pıuchased on June. I used that promotion for my flights for Italy and Germany on Nov. and Dec. I chekced now, the cheapest one-way flight from Istanbul to Athens on Nov. is 130$.

Have you just got this?

we got our notifications a week ago

I get an e-mail on the 29th june that says something like "Istanbul is cancalled and please be patient as we work on details" and received nothing more.

As i mentioned before, i called and the person i speak told me that my case is something special and they will check what they can do and inform me as soon as possible. I also sent 2 e-mails this week. But still could not get any answer.

If celebrity will do nothing to cover my travel costs, i am planning to remove gratuities from all my future celebrity and royalcaribbean curises until i cover the cost.

This cruise (16 July) is too much promoted and sold in Turkish market by several travel agents. I think they bought tickets before me. Now, all flights are nearly full. There is only 10 days left and its also logic to have high price than Nov. flights.

The 75$ price for economy ticket was a promotion of Turkish airlines for flights on Nov. and needed to be pıuchased on June. I used that promotion for my flights for Italy and Germany on Nov. and Dec. I chekced now, the cheapest one-way flight from Istanbul to Athens on Nov. is 130$.

I just checked and Aegean have business flights on the 16th July for $300

15th regular with bag under $100.

I just checked and Aegean have business flights on the 16th July for $300

15th regular with bag under $100.

As you see, all flights on the 16th july are 300$ or more.

Sorry, but 15th is a business day. Need to work. Even if not, hotel + taxi + food cost aprox the same and lose 1 day by stupid decision of celebrity.

So, what if you live in Istanbul and have you are forced to buy a complete new flight?

I would not be surprised if Celebrity says "sorry, you'll need to take that up with your travel insurance."

I would not be surprised if Celebrity says "sorry, you'll need to take that up with your travel insurance."

I have the insurance sold by celebrity, which is called ASSIST CARD. Tried to call them for the issue, but the spanish guy i speak understand nothing. I explained him the situation several times, but he says "we do not sell flight ticket", "did you lost your luggage" or "do you have a medical emergency" for the same issue. I finally told him that i will have heart attack in few minutes by talking to him on phone but he even did not understand it.

I sent them an email on friday last week, still get no answer. Its absolutely useless.

I get an e-mail on the 29th june that says something like "Istanbul is cancalled and please be patient as we work on details" and received nothing more.

As i mentioned before, i called and the person i speak told me that my case is something special and they will check what they can do and inform me as soon as possible. I also sent 2 e-mails this week. But still could not get any answer.

If celebrity will do nothing to cover my travel costs, i am planning to remove gratuities from all my future celebrity and royalcaribbean curises until i cover the cost.

Withdrawing your gratuities is not hurting Celebrity. It is only hurting the crew that work so hard to serve you.:(

Give Celebrity a chance to make things right for you. Emails take several days to weeks to be answered in situations like this. You need to keep calling. Try the Captains Club. They are having to process all the questions and complaints! There are 3000 other passengers also dealing with logistics problems.

Who knows...Celebrity may offer to give you a full refund if you cannot get to the ship. ;)

Personally, I think that Celebrity is making a wise decision to move the ship.

Edited by Iamthesea

Give Celebrity a chance to make things right for you. Emails take several days to weeks to be answered in situations like this. You need to keep calling. Try the Captains Club. They are having to process all the questions and complaints! There are 3000 other passengers also dealing with logistics problems.

Personally, I think that Celebrity is making a wise decision to move the ship.

There are four sailings on Equinox and four sailings on Constellation that are impacted by the change in embarkation or disembarkation port from Istanbul to Athens... At full capacity--two to a stateroom--it's more like 20,000 guests that are dealing with logistical issues!

Celebrity did tell my Travel Agent that they are working the issues in sailing date order--nearest [9 July] first--but I'm sure the task is overwhelming in any case...

I booked the 7 September Equinox cruise--which was originally expected to start with an overnight in Istanbul; that overnight was cancelled months ago--back in November 2014 precisely because of its Istanbul origin... It's a city I've long wanted to visit--a Bucket List destination--and had planned to spend five additional days there, and in Cappadocia, before boarding the ship... Though my plans have been scrapped, I too think that Celebrity made a wise decision to relocate the origin of my sailing to Athens... And I certainly won't be taking my disappointment out on the magnificent onboard crew...

I was due to return from Istanbul by BA on 7 September. Yesterday my Celebrity agent gave me flight details. I will now be returning to London from Athens by Aegean Air. It's not as convenient, as their luggage size is smaller and carry-on luggage is much less weight, but at least it has been done for safety reasons so we will manage and find a different suitcase somehow.

I was due to return from Istanbul by BA on 7 September. Yesterday my Celebrity agent gave me flight details. I will now be returning to London from Athens by Aegean Air. It's not as convenient, as their luggage size is smaller and carry-on luggage is much less weight, but at least it has been done for safety reasons so we will manage and find a different suitcase somehow.

if that is a UK booking with UK air then they should cover the extra baggage costs if you need them, ABTA and package holiday regulations should cover those costs(under major change rules).

They could counter offer with a full refund saying they don't have an alternative to offer.

Ceck the flight and cruise costs with a new booking if it is cheaper they should refund the difference.

Thank you for that advice. From what I have seen, looking at costs in the last week, the flight cost from Athens costs more than I paid for the flight from Istanbul. I know the cruise has gone up considerably. I bought concierge because it was only about £100 extra. Now it's closer to £1,000 extra!