No medical waivers honored! Past final payment

EOSapril11

:mad: We are less than 30 days to sailing, so obviously passed final payment. If we could cancel, we would. We have been on 7 cruises in the last 10 years, first time with Norwegian.

My TA called Norwegian to see how we can go about getting a medical waiver for certain liquid drinks my husband needs. They said NO MEDICAL WAIVERS ARE GRANTED to bring any liquids on board.:mad::mad::mad:.

My husband is a colon cancer survivor, early 40s and without going into detail has no large intestine. There are certain drinks he needs to keep his hydration in balance. Your large intestine is crucial for water absorption and maintains fluid balance. Since he does not have a large intestine to naturally maintain fluid balance, he must drink certain drinks and water throughout the day. Ok, fine. I will now have to pay $70 for a case of water. But that's not the point. They did confirm that there is another drink on board that we will now have to purchase too.

I understand if they want to change their policy. But I chose Norwegian because of the policy of being able to bring drinks on board. They changed their policy on us AFTER final payment. That's not what I agreed to when I booked & paid in full. AND now they won't even consider any medical reasons for needing it. Shame on Norwegian. This cruise is costing us over $10,000 for my family so we are not cheaping out in anyway. Bringing drinks is a necessity, especially while off the ship.

I don't need any hate, just wanted to vent & let others know that there are no medical exceptions. I do plan on emailing Norwegian, but I doubt it will go anywhere. Thanks for listening.

:mad: We are less than 30 days to sailing, so obviously passed final payment. If we could cancel, we would. We have been on 7 cruises in the last 10 years, first time with Norwegian.

My TA called Norwegian to see how we can go about getting a medical waiver for certain liquid drinks my husband needs. They said NO MEDICAL WAIVERS ARE GRANTED to bring any liquids on board.:mad::mad::mad:.

My husband is a colon cancer survivor, early 40s and without going into detail has no large intestine. There are certain drinks he needs to keep his hydration in balance. Your large intestine is crucial for water absorption and maintains fluid balance. Since he does not have a large intestine to naturally maintain fluid balance, he must drink certain drinks and water throughout the day. Ok, fine. I will now have to pay $70 for a case of water. But that's not the point. They did confirm that there is another drink on board that we will now have to purchase too.

I understand if they want to change their policy. But I chose Norwegian because of the policy of being able to bring drinks on board. They changed their policy on us AFTER final payment. That's not what I agreed to when I booked & paid in full. AND now they won't even consider any medical reasons for needing it. Shame on Norwegian. This cruise is costing us over $10,000 for my family so we are not cheaping out in anyway. Bringing drinks is a necessity, especially while off the ship.

I don't need any hate, just wanted to vent & let others know that there are no medical exceptions. I do plan on emailing Norwegian, but I doubt it will go anywhere. Thanks for listening.

Wow, maybe try putting a call into the corporate office. Good luck.

I'm so sorry that NCL will not consider your husband's medical waivers. It seems to me that if they will allow water for baby formula, they should allow whatever your husband needs for his condition. I think that Norwegian is taking this too far.

You need to speak to the Access Dept. 866-584-9756. This number is also given 1-866-787-5674. I'm sure either could get you to the right person.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Edited by Rhea98

What drinks do you need to bring on board? Have you thought about getting a letter from your doctor and sending it to Mr. Stuart and Mr. Del Rio asking why these items will not be allowed on since there is a medical reason for them and NCL doesn't carry them. Or have you called the access desk and explained your situation and asked that these items be available for your husband on board the ship. If there are true medical reason like your husbands, there is no reason why NCL would not accommodate a person by either allowing them to bring it on board or order it for them and stock it on board.

What drinks do you need to bring on board? Have you thought about getting a letter from your doctor and sending it to Mr. Stuart and Mr. Del Rio asking why these items will not be allowed on since there is a medical reason for them and NCL doesn't carry them. Or have you called the access desk and explained your situation and asked that these items be available for your husband on board the ship. If there are true medical reason like your husbands, there is no reason why NCL would not accommodate a person by either allowing them to bring it on board or order it for them and stock it on board.
I think the issue is that they are on board (bottled water and the other one she said NCL carries)... it's just that NCL will expect her to pay $70 for a case of water and buy the other one by the drink at the bar.

That stinks. I'd do what was suggested upthread and call the disability/access department.

You say your TA called NCL, but did he or she call the special access desk? I agree with the other posters that it's the access desk that you or your TA needs to talk with. I can totally understand your frustration over this--if there's a medical need, then you should be allowed to carry on what you need. Please let us know what happens with your situation. I sincerely hope you get some satisfaction on this. Good luck!

I think the issue is that they are on board (bottled water and the other one she said NCL carries)... it's just that NCL will expect her to pay $70 for a case of water and buy the other one by the drink at the bar.

That stinks. I'd do what was suggested upthread and call the disability/access department.

Sorry, I thought it might be something like ensure. If it is water that they carry, then I don't understand why a medical waiver would work, since it would just be a way for the passenger to save money. If it is something that NCL doesn't carry, then I think a medical waiver would be in order.

There was a poster on Facebook that said she had to have water and juice for her young child that had type 1 diabetes. I suggested that she order extra juice from room service (during continental breakfast hours that would be free) and put it in a water bottles, place it in the fridge and it could be used on the ship and when they went ashore. Even though it was a logical solution to her issue, she didn't seem to want a solution.

Sorry, I thought it might be something like ensure. If it is water that they carry, then I don't understand why a medical waiver would work, since it would just be a way for the passenger to save money. If it is something that NCL doesn't carry, then I think a medical waiver would be in order.

It's none of our business what the second drink is. The bottled water is a medical need so I don't understand why a medical waiver wouldn't work. The OP isn't trying to scam the system to save a few bucks. :rolleyes:

My TA did speak with the Access desk. I explained the situation to her, but I don't know how much detail she gave to them. I think I'm going to try to call myself. I don't even feel like there was a "review" of the situation--just a blanket "we don't grant medical waivers" without really thinking about the situation. My TA had me on hold only for a few minutes before she came back with the answer.

Again, we are past final payment so we are without recourse. That's what really angers me.

When you live with a disability, you shouldn't have to stop living life & doing things, but you do have to plan & assess the situation. When booking, I made sure we could bring things we needed. There are other things we have to make sure are done, like when we go on excursions so planning is essential. I have to make sure certain facilities are available. I make sure AHEAD of time, ask questions before I book & pay. This was a change that would have changed the outcome. If all cruises stop allowing liquids, then we will have to reconsider cruising.

I will keep you posted. I am going to try to call the Access desk myself. Thank you all for your support.

You need to speak to the Access Dept. 866-584-9756. This number is also given 1-866-787-5674. I'm sure either could get you to the right person.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Thank you for that number. My TA did speak to the access desk but I am going to try myself.

It's none of our business what the second drink is. The bottled water is a medical need so I don't understand why a medical waiver wouldn't work. The OP isn't trying to scam the system to save a few bucks. :rolleyes:

All NCL knows is that a TA says that a client of theirs says that it is a medical need.

The client must contact the access desk directly and be prepared to provide documentation from their physician proving the medical need for the guest to bring something that is not available on board. NCL will not have a problem with that.

I can see why they are having problems with granting any exceptions. What happens all the time, is people "report", "oh I have to have this/ that and nothing else" when medically there is NO valid reason, as there are many choices that will provide the adequate nutrition/remedy. Example is the diabetic claim above. NO, that child does NOT have to have "juice" brought on board.

It comes down, many times to- MONEY. People do not want to pay more.

This clearly is a case for the op, since the change is after final payment. There should be something done in those cases.

You may want to take this to FB, Twitter and any or all the others I just don't know about.

Sometimes the social media backlash can help. Now we do know the new CEO has come out and said he doesn't really care what customers say on these sites, as there are always other customers.

Also, I'm no lawyer or anything, but aren't their laws related to people with disabilities and accommodations. I don't know, you entered into the contract with NCL in good faith. They changed the contract. I know everyone will say they have the right to change and we the consumers have no rights, but I'm just wondering.

Sorry you are going through this

I would also call your physician and get a written prescription for the brand of water and other beverage your husband requires. If access says NO DESPITE having a document from the doctor, I would show up at the pier with my fluids, my prescription , a rolling duffel with the liquids, my best charming voice -bypass the porters- and see what happens.

" why, I have a prescription right HEre! -Look!"

I am not belittling your predicament. I deal with ridiculous medical red tape everyday and the patients affected by it. We get very creative at times.

Have a safe and happy trip, and so glad that your husband is doing well.

Edited by Annmeat

I can see why they are having problems with granting any exceptions. What happens all the time, is people "report", "oh I have to have this/ that and nothing else" when medically there is NO valid reason, as there are many choices that will provide the adequate nutrition/remedy. Example is the diabetic claim above. NO, that child does NOT have to have "juice" brought on board.

It comes down, many times to- MONEY. People do not want to pay more.

This clearly is a case for the op, since the change is after final payment. There should be something done in those cases.

It would have been so easy for NCL to say " as of November 1st" there would be a change of policy. That would have insured that nobody past final when the announcement was made ( 120 days prior to cruise for suites) was affected.

Edited by Annmeat

All NCL knows is that a TA says that a client of theirs says that it is a medical need.

The client must contact the access desk directly and be prepared to provide documentation from their physician proving the medical need for the guest to bring something that is not available on board. NCL will not have a problem with that.

Sounds very reasonable. I agree.

Seems to me if NCL changed the contract you should be allowed to be grandfathered into the one you booked and paid under.

Any lawyers here?

None needed...NCL did not change the contract. From item #2 of the Guest Ticket Contract:

The Guest agrees that this Contract governs the relationship between the Guest and the Carrier, regardless of the Guest's age, whether the Guest purchased the ticket on his or her own behalf, and/or whether the ticket has been held and/or presented by another person on behalf of the Guest. The Guest agrees that, except as expressly provided herein, this Contract constitutes the entire agreement between the Guest and Carrier, and shall supersede and exclude any prior representations that may have been made in relation to the cruise to the Guest or anyone representing him/her by anyone, including but not limited to anything stated in the Carrier's brochures, advertisements, and other promotional materials, by Norwegian Cruise Line or NCL America employees or by third persons such as travel agents.

Further, this is all you are paying for in the contract:

The fare paid by the Guest for this ticket includes transportation on the

vessel named herein, full board, and ordinary vessel food, but does not include beer, wine, spirits, sodas

or mineral waters, nor expenses incurred for other incidental or personal services/purchases.
Edited by SeaShark

Sorry to hear that, thats just plain bull****. People are allowed to bring on walkers, scooters and service animals. But your not allowed to bring on the drinks your husband needs because of a medical issue?.........***:mad:

It would have been so easy for NCL to say " as of November 1st" there would be a change of policy. That would have insured that nobody past final when the announcement was made ( 120 days prior to cruise for suites) was affected.

Thats really not the point. Its not like the OP wants to bring on bottles of liquor. This person has a medical condition because of colon cancer, believe me I know all too well about what these people are going thru. Its a crock of you know what

Edited by Laszlo

As harsh as it is, I can understand why NCL is saying this is a blanket policy. If all it took was a doctors note to get cases of water onboard, pretty soon everyone who wants to bring water onboard will be getting a doctors note saying they have a medical need. Unfortunately, the dishonest actions of a few often negatively affect those that have the real need.

Just like the parents who get their doctors to write notes saying that Bobby and Sally have ADHD and can't wait in line, and then BOOM they go right to the front of the line at Disney, no questions asked. I am fairly certain that many of them have no condition whatsoever, other than having entitled parents.

Obviously this doesn't seem to be OP's case but situations like this is probably why NCL is being unnecessarily harsh.

What I don't understand is the reason given for the ban of bottled water was for security reasons. So what makes bottled water for infant formula and cpap machines that are sealed safer than bottled water sealed for the consumer. Also why are bottles of wine ok as long are you pay the corkage fee. If security is an issue what's the difference?

:confused:

What I don't understand is the reason given for the ban of bottled water was for security reasons. So what makes bottled water for infant formula and cpap machines that are sealed safer than bottled water sealed for the consumer. Also why are bottles of wine ok as long are you pay the corkage fee. If security is an issue what's the difference?

:confused:

Another great point. Couldn't have said it better.

As harsh as it is, I can understand why NCL is saying this is a blanket policy. If all it took was a doctors note to get cases of water onboard, pretty soon everyone who wants to bring water onboard will be getting a doctors note saying they have a medical need. Unfortunately, the dishonest actions of a few often negatively affect those that have the real need.

Just like the parents who get their doctors to write notes saying that Bobby and Sally have ADHD and can't wait in line, and then BOOM they go right to the front of the line at Disney, no questions asked. I am fairly certain that many of them have no condition whatsoever, other than having entitled parents.

Obviously this doesn't seem to be OP's case but situations like this is probably why NCL is being unnecessarily harsh.

I do kind of agree with you. But this policy came out 4 weeks before my sail date. They didn't even ask me questions about what was needed or if they had it on board. They do not grant medical waivers--period.

I tried reading through the other thread to see if anyone else had the same response or any issues but I can't read through 1000+ posts!