No medical waivers honored! Past final payment

EOSapril11

I just sent an email. Again, without CC I would not have known about the access desk number or email. We have never had this problem before. We live our lives normally and/or I plan &research before we go. I don't make this issue run our lives. We bring what we need, or make sure it's available.

You have not been able to reach anyone yet?

Have you thought about taking this issue to the media? They are already reporting on the new NCL water restrictions. I would think they would be very interested in your story.

Not really. I'm not the attention seeking type & again don't flaunt this disability. I think there are always exceptions to the rule. They initially didn't even ask what was needed. except that it wasn't for formula or other medical device. I did eventually find out they have the other drink, but my cruise just increased $200-300 because of this policy change. I'm trying to make a point--they make accomodations for many other things. I just looked at there accessible cruising site.

There's probably nothing I can do to change it. I'm not getting a lawyer. But what I can do is expose them here and never give NCL any of my business.

I think that would only work if she actually is travelling with an infant. Thinking outside the box only goes so far.

And as long as we are heavy on cliches, I don't think fighting fire with fire is the solution here. In this case, NCL has a flamethrower, while OP has a matchstick. She needs to try and get them to work with her.

The bottom line issue is that the water costs too much. So maybe Access Desk can negotiate with her can give her some onboard credit to help defray the cost of the water? But, to use a cliche once again, it's a slippery slope. Once they give credit to some people, everyone who wants their water onboard will start calling Access and talking about salinity in the water.

As we all know, what really needs to happen is for NCL to reduce the price of a case of water to something reasonable. However, I have a feeling if it's anything more than the $4.24 that people pay at Costco, that many will still complain.

Do you know this, or are you just disputing the posts for sport ??

The restriction doesn't specify that you must be or have an infant. Compliance with the wording of the restriction is the point.

I just sent an email. Again, without CC I would not have known about the access desk number or email. We have never had this problem before. We live our lives normally and/or I plan &research before we go. I don't make this issue run our lives. We bring what we need, or make sure it's available.

On July 1, 2017, I sent an email (accessdesk@ncl.com) and advised that I had a medical condition (I don't - I simply wanted an answer to my question), and could provide a doctor's note as to why I need to bring "water or whatever" onboard. Their exact response "just have your doctor write a note explaining why it is medically necessary for you to bring water onboard. Then e-mail that note to use (and bring it to the pier) with your reservation number, ship, and sail date. Best regards, Joel Chaifetz, Access Desk Coordinator".

I think the problem here is 1 - a phone call was made; 2 - info was passed second hand and 3 - they are more than likely receiving a TON of emails / requests now, hence the delay. I truly cannot imagine this being an issue, with a doctor's note.

Make sure the note contains your husband's name, your reservation number, your cabin number, the ship name, and sail date. Email the note to the access desk and wait for a response. Instead of all of the back and forth, just do it. Nothing can be done without the note, so regardless of what they tell you, you need the note. I know you are frustrated, but step one is the note.

You have not been able to reach anyone yet?

I know there's too much to read on this thread! Yes, my TA & I both contacted a rep at the access desk. TA was told "no medical waivers". I called myself this morning & rep told me same thing. I persisted, she put me on hold to get a supervisor & they were all busy so one will call me back. That was almost 3 hours ago.

I also just sent an email. This is turning into a full time job.

On July 1, 2017, I sent an email (accessdesk@ncl.com) and advised that I had a medical condition (I don't - I simply wanted an answer to my question), and could provide a doctor's note as to why I need to bring "water or whatever" onboard. Their exact response "just have your doctor write a note explaining why it is medically necessary for you to bring water onboard. Then e-mail that note to use (and bring it to the pier) with your reservation number, ship, and sail date. Best regards, Joel Chaifetz, Access Desk Coordinator".

I think the problem here is 1 - a phone call was made; 2 - info was passed second hand and 3 - they are more than likely receiving a TON of emails / requests now, hence the delay. I truly cannot imagine this being an issue, with a doctor's note.

Make sure the note contains your husband's name, your reservation number, your cabin number, the ship name, and sail date. Email the note to the access desk and wait for a response. Instead of all of the back and forth, just do it. Nothing can be done without the note, so regardless of what they tell you, you need the note. I know you are frustrated, but step one is the note.

After 2 phone calls, I did send an email about an hour ago. I wish the first phone call to my TA, who in turn called access desk which lasted 1 hr 10 min would have told me to send an email!

Good luck, I hope you get a satisfactory resolution. You've planned well, and had NCL not changed the policy effective after your final payment period you would not be having a stressful time right now.

When this issue surfaced with NCL's policy change - I'm surprisd your TA did not then automatically update your reservation with dietary restriction needs when you called TA to contact the Access Department! You mentioned Access Department again today asked why there is not a notation. I suggest having your TA add this ASAP.

Good luck, and I sincerely hope for a good outcome, and a wonderful trip for your family.

The restriction doesn't specify that you must be or have an infant. Compliance with the wording of the restriction is the point.

I'm not disputing just for sport, I'm using common sense. When they grant exceptions to the policy for bottled water used to reconstitute infant formula, it highly stands to reason that the intent was so an infant can consume the formula. I highly doubt you'd be able to print out the wording, bring it with you to port, and say "nyah nyah nyah, you guys said water for formula, and here's my water and formula, so you need to let it on". If they don't see a baby, I doubt you'd be able to get it on.

But since you think that compliance with the wording is all that is needed, try it and report back. :rolleyes:

What OP needs to do is to liken her husband's situation with an infant's situation. NCL seems to be allowing people to take on water for baby formula. Why? I imagine it's because NCL recognises that babies need purified water for health reasons. Well then, OP can say that her husband needs water to reconstitute Gatorade powder because he needs electrolytes.

If they say he can buy his water or Gatorade on board.... then you state, well, then why can't parents buy their bottled water onboard to reconstitute the baby formula? Why are babies a sacred class but not people with medical issues?

I believe I have the same medical profile as the op's husband. It is not considered a disability by the ADA. I have no specific doctor's orders with regard to bottled water or Gatorade.

That's not to say that the op's hubby doesn't have special medical instructions...

We do tend to dehydrate easily and are required to drink about two liters of water a day.

I have cruised several times and have never brought bottled water with me - just can't be bothered.

What we do is bring water bottles (Tervis or something like that), we order two pitchers of water in the morning and in the afternoon and fill our water bottles before we set out for the day. This works for us. We can refill at the buffet when needed throughout the day.

I also have a collapsible water bottle that packs easily into my back pack when I don't want to carry a bulky water bottle.

This doesn't solve the op's issue but it has worked for me for the past three years since I lost my colon.

Hope it all works out for the op and her husband. If I've learned anything it's to roll with the punches.

Marisa

All NCL knows is that a TA says that a client of theirs says that it is a medical need.

The client must contact the access desk directly and be prepared to provide documentation from their physician proving the medical need for the guest to bring something that is not available on board. NCL will not have a problem with that.

A medical need by itself is probably not sufficient, the second part is if what is needed is available on the ship or not. If someone says they need item A and item A can be purchased on ship then the waiver might not be granted. If item A is something that cannot be obtained on the ship then it should be granted.

The poster indicated that the request was for bottled water which can be purchased on the ship and some other drink that they implied could also be purchased on the ship, thus not surprised if the request is denied.

I believe I have the same medical profile as the op's husband. It is not considered a disability by the ADA. I have no specific doctor's orders with regard to bottled water or Gatorade.

That's not to say that the op's hubby doesn't have special medical instructions...

We do tend to dehydrate easily and are required to drink about two liters of water a day.

I have cruised several times and have never brought bottled water with me - just can't be bothered.

What we do is bring water bottles (Tervis or something like that), we order two pitchers of water in the morning and in the afternoon and fill our water bottles before we set out for the day. This works for us. We can refill at the buffet when needed throughout the day.

I also have a collapsible water bottle that packs easily into my back pack when I don't want to carry a bulky water bottle.

This doesn't solve the op's issue but it has worked for me for the past three years since I lost my colon.

Hope it all works out for the op and her husband. If I've learned anything it's to roll with the punches.

Marisa

If Gatorade is required, one can always bring it on board in powdered form and mix it them selves on board. Powders have not been banned only liquids.

A medical need by itself is probably not sufficient, the second part is if what is needed is available on the ship or not. If someone says they need item A and item A can be purchased on ship then the waiver might not be granted. If item A is something that cannot be obtained on the ship then it should be granted.

The poster indicated that the request was for bottled water which can be purchased on the ship and some other drink that they implied could also be purchased on the ship, thus not surprised if the request is denied.

Ummmm...yeah. But didn't I already cover that in my post? (Highlighted for emphasis):

"All NCL knows is that a TA says that a client of theirs says that it is a medical need.

The client must contact the access desk directly and be prepared to provide documentation from their physician proving the medical need for the guest
to bring something that is not available on board
. NCL will not have a problem with that."

Actually Bill, the restriction DOES, in fact, specify that an infant be present.

From the FAQ on the policy:

If I need to bring water or milk onboard for a medical reason or infant, what’s the process?

Guests who have special needs or medical requirements should contact the access desk at
Families with infants
who require water for formula or milk should advise the security team during embarkation and those items will be inspected at the check point.

If Gatorade is required, one can always bring it on board in powdered form and mix it them selves on board. Powders have not been banned only liquids.

Definitely looking into this. Any idea where I might find this? I can't say I've seen it sold anywhere.

Edited by EOSapril11

Definitely looking into this. Any idea where I might find this? I can't say I've seen it sold anywhere.

I have Amazon Prime, so purchase many things through amazon.com since their pricing is often quite competitive. Here's the result from a search there for powdered Gatorade: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_2_14?url=search-alias%3Dgrocery&field-keywords=powdered+gatorade&sprefix=powdered+gator%2Caps%2C206

I can't remember ever visiting a grocery that didn't sell it! We've traveled with it for years. You shouldn't have a problem finding it. Then if all else fails, buy bottles of water on the ship for your husband. He's probably worth it.

Although I believe that NCL should do the right thing and either let her bring the water onboard (or for security reasons, give her a discount on the water to purchase on ship) since the rule change came after final payment, I have wondered since I began reading this thread - why did't the OP already get a doctor's note? There are too many scammers in this world, a doctor's note will bring credibility to her story and provide her with a professional back-up for her claim.

I would also have the doctor state exactly how many liters of water are needed.

I have always purchased it in my local supermarket. Right next to where they sell other powdered drinks. I use it for backpacking trips, thus the need for powdered, not liquid.

Although I believe that NCL should do the right thing and either let her bring the water onboard (or for security reasons, give her a discount on the water to purchase on ship) since the rule change came after final payment, I have wondered since I began reading this thread - why did't the OP already get a doctor's note? There are too many scammers in this world, a doctor's note will bring credibility to her story and provide her with a professional back-up for her claim.

I would also have the doctor state exactly how many liters of water are needed.

I have no problem getting a doctor's note. I called to see if there was a waiver/form that I or the dr had to fill out as well. I called to see what was needed. I already called our dr & can get a note but no one at the access would tell me the procedure. Getting the note is not the issue. Will just a note suffice?? Give it to whom?? Just at the pier?? Emailed/scanned/mailed/faxed to someone before we sail??????? I'VE GOTTEN NO ANSWERS as of yet. 2 phone calls, waiting for a supervisor to call me back & email sent. If it was as simple as getting a dr note I would have no problem but what do I do with it????