More Questions from a Beginner Cruiser

More questions for all you experienced cruisers:

I understand that not all staff members are included in the general gratuities we pay at the end of the cruise. When you tip staff who are not included, do you give them cash on the spot, like when they deliver room service, or do you tip them individually at the end of the cruise, separate from your overall gratuities? Will room service staff expect to be tipped for every interaction, including picking up dirty dishes from our room?

I understand there are health forms to fill out before boarding the ship. I haven't been able to find these on the Princess website. Is it possible to fill them out ahead of time?

How does cell phone coverage work on an Alaska cruise, on the ship and in port? I'm assuming we will not be able to use our cell phones on the ship but will be able to use them in US ports without roaming charges. We are leaving our children behind and would like to check on them daily if we can.

Are swimming pools on Crown Princess heated?

Is hot chocolate available all day and is it free?

Edited by Mrs. Yukon Cornelius

The only people I can think of that we tip who are not part of the standard tip are the ones who deliver room service and the luggage guys. They are tipped at the time of service. We let the room steward deal with removing dirty dishes. You can call room service to have them removed. No, I don't tip for removal of dirty dishes.

Your room steward is part of the standard gratuity. No, they do not expect to be tipped separately from that.

The health form takes 30 seconds and is available only at the terminal. It must be filled out just before you check in. Basically, it asks whether any member of your party has had vomiting or diarrhea within 3 days of the embarkation (and you check yes or no). There are a total of 4 yes/no questions.

Cell service on the ship is provided by Cellular at Sea with a charge of $2.49 (I think) per minute in addition to any charges from your carrier. Hint--buy a small internet package and use Facetime or just e-mail. Forget phone calls while on board! Texting in US ports is just like calling from across the street. It was part of our package and no roaming charges as long as you are in a US port and picking up a US tower.

The only people I can think of that we tip who are not part of the standard tip are the ones who deliver room service and the luggage guys. They are tipped at the time of service.

It is customary to tip a few $'s for room service' date=' it is up to you. you do not need to tip for collection, only delivery.[/quote']Room service staff are food service personnel and do share in the auto tip.

It is not customary to tip room service. It's a personal choice to give the server an additional tip.

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

The swimming pools on Princess are not heated but are fresh water pools. Grand class ships have a covered pool on the lido deck but Ruby does not. The pool area is enclosed in glass but the top is open.

The ship has a cellular tower that will accept voice calls, messaging and data just like at home. If you use the tower, your carrier will bill you for that use. Generally it is $2.49/minute and $.50/text message but the rate is determined by your carrier so call them and find out the rates. Some carriers will require you to set up out of country calling in advance. So again check with your carrier.

You will be in AK ports, part of the USA, so you can use your cell phone just as you do at home and it will be included in your plan. The ship will stop in Victoria, BC which is a foreign port and using your cell phone will incur charges.

It is my understanding that the room service waiters are part of the kitchen staff and not the waiter staff. Therefore they do not participate in the automatic gratuity. We always tip our room service person $3 for our breakfast service - we use the hang tags to order it the night before. Anytime we order room service we always tip them at least $3 or maybe more if they brought quite a few items.

The health questionnaire has been discussed and is easy to fill out. I always get a chuckle thinking about how honest those forms are filled out.

I don't drink hot chocolate and cannot comment about it.

I understand there are health forms to fill out before boarding the ship. I haven't been able to find these on the Princess website. Is it possible to fill them out ahead of time? It's possible to find the forms on the internet, BUT you're supposed to complete them moments before you get on the ship. Some ports have form ladies who will monitor the completion of the forms.

Are swimming pools on Crown Princess heated? Even when the pools are heated the temperature is hit and miss.

see above

When in Alaska, you have to be careful when you make a cell phone call. You want to make sure you are picking up a US tower (service) and not a Canadian tower.

I suggest calling your cell phone company to find out if you can expect to pick up their service in Alaska.

I believe that on the ship any crew members who provide services that are optional (not used by most passengers) such as beverage service' date=' the kids' program, room service, are not included in the auto gratuities.[/quote']

Room service personnel are included in the daily gratuity. I have asked this several times when on board and the answer has been consistent.

Room service personnel are included in the daily gratuity. I have asked this several times when on board and the answer has been consistent.

We've also ask and yes room service personnel is included the the daily gratuity ... but we always tip a couple of dollars anyway.

If they were not included we would tip more.

We've always made our calls and done our texting when on shore in the Alaskan ports. Never had a problem with roaming charges. Our provider is AT&T if that makes any difference. Have a great cruise. Alaska is one of our favorite destinations. :)

Hi-

All I will add beyond what others have shared is that we will give the room steward some extra the last day of the trip if he/she was particularly attentive.

Fyi, we took the Crown Princess to Alaska a few years ago and had a spectacular time. Princess did a great job, with very interesting lectures by naturalists and other guest speakers, a salmon buffet and other treats. You made a good choice on the cruise line.

Have a wonderful trip! - Musing About Cruising

I look at the standard tips that are added to my account as part of the routine pay the crew gets. Of course you can add or subtract from these automatic gratuities. I always plan on tipping individual crew that go above and beyond, even though I know they share in the standard gratuities. These will include, but are not limited to my favorite bar tenders, barista, room stewards, and my waiter and assistant waiter.