Weather on Cruise 9-24 to 10-1

sandcar1

You need one waterproof jacket with a hood. This should be a high tech microfiber such as Gore-tex. This should be large enough that you can wear a good fleece jacket under it. You should also have a couple sweaters, long pants, socks and shoes. You may want a hat and light gloves for out on the deck.

On the other hand it may be quite warm some days and you will not need to wear the jacket, etc.

first time to the east coast from so cal wondering what the weather will be like for packing i'm afraid my wife will pack 2 suitcases of coats and heavy cloths

Being from Southern Cal, I can understand your thoughts on the 'heavy' stuff, but forget them. I'm sure you have heard this many times already, but here it goes once more--LAYERS are the key. You do NOT need heavy clothes. A good waterproof jacket (that can be bought in Walmart very inexpensively, you don't need LL Bean's version) is the #1 thing. Make sure it is breathable, if not you will sweat like the dickens' and then get cold. Bring a sweatshirt or fleece (a hoodie will work best) or buy one along the way. A regular set of clothes after that, you know jeans or whatever you normally wear (no shorts). With layers, you put on if it is cold and take off when it is warm. Just NO HEAVY coats, just no need for it. It isn't going to snow on your trip.

Cheers

Len

Being from Southern Cal, I can understand your thoughts on the 'heavy' stuff, but forget them. I'm sure you have heard this many times already, but here it goes once more--LAYERS are the key. You do NOT need heavy clothes. A good waterproof jacket (that can be bought in Walmart very inexpensively, you don't need LL Bean's version) is the #1 thing. Make sure it is breathable, if not you will sweat like the dickens' and then get cold. Bring a sweatshirt or fleece (a hoodie will work best) or buy one along the way. A regular set of clothes after that, you know jeans or whatever you normally wear (no shorts). With layers, you put on if it is cold and take off when it is warm. Just NO HEAVY coats, just no need for it. It isn't going to snow on your trip.

Just my 2¢'s, I agree with the waterproof jacket, sweatshirt, layers and jeans but not no shorts. I wear shorts to Christmas or a measurable snowfall which ever comes first. There are still warm days at the end of September and beginning October when shorts would be appropriate.

SBtS

Just my 2¢'s, I agree with the waterproof jacket, sweatshirt, layers and jeans but not no shorts. I wear shorts to Christmas or a measurable snowfall which ever comes first. There are still warm days at the end of September and beginning October when shorts would be appropriate.

:rolleyes:SBtS

Ha. To each their own. Our mailman also wears shorts all year long, EXCEPT when snowing.

I just assumed the OP, being from Southern Cal, might be a bit chilly in our northern areas. ;););)

Cheers

Len

first time to the east coast from so cal wondering what the weather will be like for packing i'm afraid my wife will pack 2 suitcases of coats and heavy cloths

Funny, I've only ever been to SoCal once and that was a long day in LAX waiting to fly to Sydney, Australia but I have spent almost all my life in NYC and was born in Newport, RI and autumn is my favorite season. Quite often we enjoy extended summers or just lovely warm-ish days around that time of year, just getting cooler at night...at sea of course, cooler but by no means will it be cold except further north, sure.

You don't mention which ports - this is Canada/NE thread...could be Boston, Maine, Canada...but New England too can enjoy a mild autumn...it's only just starting at the 24th September.

As advised, layers - always. I've even had this work well up in Edinburgh, Scotland in JANUARY. Bring one sweater maybe, or a fleece...the water proof anorak might be a good idea. But with a cotton shirt base and thin layers...you can add/take off as needed and not have over packed suit cases or worry about coats, just comfort.

Also, the further north you get, you'll probably start to see amazing foliage. Enjoy :)

Thanks everyone for the info . the stops are newport,boston,bar harbor,saint johns and halifax. so anyway i told my wife t-shirt and shorts a hoody and tennis shoes is all i need.shes not buying it

You have the right idea. Just add long pants, sweatshirt, and rain jacket just in case.

SBtS

• 2 weeks later...