Is my travel agent shady?

cree13

I've tried to find this information online but am not able so I'm hoping someone here can answer my question. My family member is a part time travel/cruise agent & has booked all our cabins on NCL for an upcoming group trip. There must be at least 15-20 cabins (about 30-45 people) & we have not received any discounts or perks. Meanwhile my family member is staying in the Haven & says they didn't receive any discount or commission ("maybe a few dollars") but I call bull****. I see on the NCL website that if a group books 9 cabins, 1 is free. So my question is - Is my family member shady & getting a free/discounted cabin? Shouldn't our group get some kind of discount or perk? Thanks so much for any help you can give me

Edited by cree13

I've tried to find this information online but am not able so I'm hoping someone here can answer my question. My family member is a part time travel/cruise agent & has booked all our cabins on NCL for an upcoming group trip. There must be at least 15-20 cabins (about 30-45 people) & we have not received any discounts or perks. Meanwhile my family member is staying in the Haven & says they didn't receive any discount or commission ("maybe a few dollars") but I call bull****. I see on the NCL website that if a group books 9 cabins, 1 is free. So my question is - Is my family member shady & getting a free/discounted cabin? Shouldn't our group get some kind of discount or perk? Thanks so much for any help you can give me

Hmmmm :rolleyes:

Duh!!! You just answered your own question. If you're not convinced, do a mock booking for a single cabin. If the prices are the same as the group prices (and without any added amenities), your organizer is not sharing the value of the freebie and/or group perks. Recognize of course that s/he did the organizing grunt work and deserves something more than a $5 bottle of rot gut wine.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

You can call NCL and ask them about the perks for booking 15 to 20 cabins and write down the information you receive. I'd then call your family member, telling him/her you're calling their bluff on this because you've done your homework. Let us know the outcome of this.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

It sure looks like you family member is not cutting you any breaks. She/he is taking every cent they can get their hands on. Probably counting on people's hesitancy to call out a family member.

Note as far as I know a TA is not required to give you any discounts or perks.

Need to find out how perks work on NCL.

On Princess and Carnival the free cabin is refunded after the cruise for the most frequently occurring cabin category. Meaning if everyone else books insides then the free cabin fare will be an inside, not a suite.

Also some group points can be used for extra TA commission instead of group perks- OBC, wine, photos, parties etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

https://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/group-cruises

Options for Group Cruising

Norwegian Cruise Line is thrilled to offer the following new options of benefits and amenities for you to customize your group's needs.

Option 1: For every 14 passengers and 7 cabins, 2 cruise free

-OR-

Option 2: For every 14 passengers and 7 cabins, 1 cruises free

PLUS your choice from the following amenities:

Choose One:

Choice of an Ultimate Beverage Package*

Pre-Paid Service Charges***

OR

Choose Two:

250-minute Internet package

$50 Per Port Shore Excursion Credit**

Four-Day Specialty Dining Package***

20 Image Photo Package

$75 OBC

$75 Fundraiser Credit

$75 Bonus Commission

* For first and second guest in each stateroom . UBP option not available on Norwegian Sky or Pride of America

**Maximum of four ports

***For first and second guest in each stateroom

Hope this helps!

https://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/group-cruises

Options for Group Cruising

Norwegian Cruise Line is thrilled to offer the following new options of benefits and amenities for you to customize your group's needs.

Option 1: For every 14 passengers and 7 cabins, 2 cruise free

-OR-

Option 2: For every 14 passengers and 7 cabins, 1 cruises free

PLUS your choice from the following amenities:

Choose One:

Choice of an Ultimate Beverage Package*

Pre-Paid Service Charges***

OR

Choose Two:

250-minute Internet package

$50 Per Port Shore Excursion Credit**

Four-Day Specialty Dining Package***

20 Image Photo Package

$75 OBC

$75 Fundraiser Credit

$75 Bonus Commission

* For first and second guest in each stateroom . UBP option not available on Norwegian Sky or Pride of America

**Maximum of four ports

***For first and second guest in each stateroom

Hope this helps!

Sounds to me like the travel agent is trying to collect an extra commission ($75 per passenger) if they go this route and don't tell you.

If a group was never created and the cabin were booked independently then there are no group benefits. Are your bookings in a group?

OP posted that the family member aka. TA booked all the cabins...What kind of TA wouldn't know to book all of these as a group...:confused::rolleyes:

Plus the family member/TA receives commission on the booked cabins - appx. 15% - that is her income for doing the grunt work - the group perks really should be shared with the group!

Apparently not a close family member!

OP posted that the family member aka. TA booked all the cabins...What kind of TA wouldn't know to book all of these as a group...:confused::rolleyes:

A rookie "part-time" TA that got their "number" from on of those shady marketing outfits. We have two of these we know socially, what they don't know about cruising is shocking.

Still, highly unlikely that they didn't get a substantial commission if there were that many bookings.

First, are you sure your TA didn't take the discounted or free cabin price into account and spread it evenly between all cabins? Before you get all stressed why don't you ask them that question.

Second, I have booked not a group cruise but I have booked up to 5 cabins at a time and that alone could take allot of hours and time to do everything to the best of each travellers interests. If you were booking a cruise outside of a group would you not want to book it with your family member so they could earn the commission? Just a thought.

Call NCL GROUP desk with a list of your questions. Customarily for each 8 berths one is given free to originating party(you)). With so many bookings you need a good experienced agent. I would also call several discount cruise agencies for group pricing and OBCs. You have a short time frame to change agents. Find timing out from NCL.

Edited by zoncom

First, are you sure your TA didn't take the discounted or free cabin price into account and spread it evenly between all cabins? Before you get all stressed why don't you ask them that question.

Second, I have booked not a group cruise but I have booked up to 5 cabins at a time and that alone could take allot of hours and time to do everything to the best of each travellers interests. If you were booking a cruise outside of a group would you not want to book it with your family member so they could earn the commission? Just a thought.

But the family member/TA is earning the commission PLUS not sharing the group perks.

OP - you are right to call BS!

I would call NCL and ask for group Supervisor.. Tell them problem, ask for a bid, telling them you are asking several discount cruise only agencies also. And you do not want any commission going to shady relative but want to do the NCL cruise with whomever gives best deal. Immediately.Super can advise you how to proceed.

Thank you everyone for all the info. I paid the same for my cabin as if I had booked myself though NCL so no discounts or perks other than the NCL promotions. My family member has not offered any discounts & the only reason I booked though them was to keep the peace. But this has me thinking and it just seems shady. I booked a group cruise through a TA once & the more people that booked, the more discounts the group received. I really don't want to be the one to bring this up but it's bugging the **** out of me so I guess I will call NCL & find out for sure. I'll keep everyone posted. Wish me luck!

I would call NCL and ask for group Supervisor.. Tell them problem, ask for a bid, telling them you are asking several discount cruise only agencies also. And you do not want any commission going to shady relative but want to do the NCL cruise with whomever gives best deal. Immediately.Super can advise you how to proceed.

The OP may be able to get a general idea for a new as of yet unbooked group, but won't be surprised if they won't discuss the booking the OP is part of...Wouldn't they only speak with the TA that has ownership of that booking :confused:

I wonder how many of you have planned, organized and booked a group cruise of this size?! Well I have . And I can say that there is ALOT of time and work that goes into it. It amazes me how so many seem to expect "A Family Member" to do all this for free!

I wonder how many of you have planned, organized and booked a group cruise of this size?! Well I have . And I can say that there is ALOT of time and work that goes into it. It amazes me how so many seem to expect "A Family Member" to do all this for free!

Not doing it for free - family member a TA and will make appx 15% commission on the group! Family member is being selfish and NOT sharing the group perks.

Using bare bones #'s of 15 cabins at $1,400 per - that is $3,150 in commission

t to ask for

I think you answered your own question... FAMILY. I would do that, and have done that and more for my FAMILY and never thought to cheat them or ask for compensation for doing things for my FAMILY. If you cant do it for free for your family, then you need to be honest with your family and tell them you are takign a cut of action.... Why wouldnt someone be totally honest with their family. They are your family after all.

Call NCL GROUP desk with a list of your questions. Customarily for each 8 berths one is given free to originating party(you)). With so many bookings you need a good experienced agent. I would also call several discount cruise agencies for group pricing and OBCs. You have a short time frame to change agents. Find timing out from NCL.

I thought it was 1 free for every 14 berths on NCL. Are you sure your information is accurate?