Connecting iPad to tv in cabin

Austinite1

Curious if anyone has tried to hook up an iPad to a TV set in one of the cabins (so that you can play video on the tv screen?

I looked at the back of the TV set and saw a vga connection and did not have a cable for that. If you have found a way to screen your own video on the TV set, please share the method

Thanks

You should specify which ship as the Royal, Regal and Diamond (or is it Sapphire) have sets with on-demand programming and reports on those have been unsuccessful.

The other ships have reports that it is possible with the smaller HDMI connectors.

This is not first-hand information so again, tell us which ship you're considering.

As long as the TV has an HDMI port, I don't see why it wouldn't work. I don't know that much about Apple stuff, but if you have an Android product or anything that works with Google Chrome, you could bring along a Chromecast device and stream wirelessly to the TV. You'd need both an HDMI port and a nearby electrical outlet for the Chromecast.

Do the remotes for the TVs allow you to change from "cable" to "HDMI"?

I think I read somewhere that the remotes are "locked" and won't allow you to change.

Correct we have found the remote disabled for that.. At least in our experience.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

As long as the TV has an HDMI port, I don't see why it wouldn't work. I don't know that much about Apple stuff, but if you have an Android product or anything that works with Google Chrome, you could bring along a Chromecast device and stream wirelessly to the TV. You'd need both an HDMI port and a nearby electrical outlet for the Chromecast.

On most of the ships the HDMI connection will work but on the Regal & Royal the HDMI connection is disconnected so don't bother trying.

btw- the google Chromecast unit works via an internet connection. The signal goes from your computer/ipad/tablet to the internet & back to the Chromecast unit. This means that you would be using internet minutes to watch your own movies. Hardly worth it.

Can't speak directly to PC, but have done it on Carnival and RCCL. We have hooked up IPhone, IPad, and XBOX. For apple you need the HDMI adapter.

My experience has been the HDMI inputs aren't disabled only the ship's remote is lacking the button to change the inputs. We have brought a cheap universal remote and looked up the code for the specific TV or were able to use the input button on the TV to cycle through.

I am not sure how the Apple TV or Chromecast would work as the have to be connect to the WiFi.

It might be a gamble, but it's only the matter of taking the HDMI adapter and a remote so not much in the way of space taken up.

I would not disconnect any cables as it might set off and alarm or lock you out from other services on the TV.

For our last world cruise we had a mini projector and DVD player that hook up to the MacBook Air, plus a little speaker. We hung a sheet on the wall with curtain clips and magnets that had little carabiners on them stuck to the ceiling. We then watched movies on our "big screen".

Do the remotes for the TVs allow you to change from "cable" to "HDMI"?

I think I read somewhere that the remotes are "locked" and won't allow you to change.

In my experience... No they don't allow you to change.

btw- the google Chromecast unit works via an internet connection. The signal goes from your computer/ipad/tablet to the internet & back to the Chromecast unit. This means that you would be using internet minutes to watch your own movies. Hardly worth it.

TBO never thought about this and just tested it by

turning off the router - Darn it your right, learn something new every day.

Thanks for mentioning that. I was the person who first mentioned the Chromecast and I am so used to using it in hotels that have free Wifi that I didn't even think about the fact that it wouldn't work on a ship (without paying the outrageous internet prices.) Duh!

I would not disconnect any cables as it might set off and alarm or lock you out from other services on the TV.

Disconnecting their cables doesn't set off any alarm. I tried that on the Royal last year & used their HDMI input feeding it with my own movie cable & it still doesn't work. There something special that the TV is looking for and it does nothing with any other signal.

Thanks for mentioning that. I was the person who first mentioned the Chromecast and I am so used to using it in hotels that have free Wifi that I didn't even think about the fact that it wouldn't work on a ship (without paying the outrageous internet prices.) Duh!

I've never used a Chromecast on the ship but use my WD TV unit which doesn't require a WiFi signal when fed with an HDMI cable. It works great on any Princess ship other than Regal & Royal.....and possibly any of the newed ships to come. :(