Thinking of Upgrading to aurora from Fantastice

nikkiw60

As we have not yet booked our drink package and with the pound to dollar rate not being good. Am I correct in thinking that we could get a table for 2 with anytime dining?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Ha ha, you're funny Nikki. The Aurea experience is what we've chosen due to the dining options, at least in part anyway. The experiences listed in Skier52 sticky really caught my eye and seem to have a lot of things we find nice additions to our cruise experience.

In this thread it goes through all of the differences, check out post 1:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2224649

I think we'll be quite pleased with this experience even though it isn't the same as YC, it has a lot of nice perks, an included massage even :D

HTH

Enjoy your cruise.

Or even Aurea experience!

My TA, who is heavily involved in promoting MSC, always refers to it as "Aurora" - drives me mad when talking to her. I soooo want to correct her when it happens :rolleyes:

Will phone tomorrow to book! Have made a list of what cabins are showing as being available. It's worth it also for the spa treatments and adults only area as we have 3!sea days and it's a 9 day cruise. All I want now to make it complete is to see a whale or 2....

We're sailing MSC Musica which does not have the Yacht Club and we have chosen a Aurea suite especially for the drink package and the anytime dining.:D

Next best thing, eh, Mike? We convince ourselves it is but it really isn't - nothing substitutes for YC. I say that as someone who's booked in an Aurea suite on Sinfonia for 24 nights from Venice to Durban. There's also access to the private solarium, which, while it's not the same as the One Pool, it does offer a more relaxing experience to the main pool area.

Next best thing, eh, Mike? We convince ourselves it is but it really isn't - nothing substitutes for YC. I say that as someone who's booked in an Aurea suite on Sinfonia for 24 nights from Venice to Durban. There's also access to the private solarium, which, while it's not the same as the One Pool, it does offer a more relaxing experience to the main pool area.

Yes Bea!!! It's unfortunate that none of the Fantasia class ships are sailing the Eastern route from Venice,:( but we have no problem sailing on one of the Musica class ships,,in fact,,we can't wait to try one of the smaller ships!!:D

Actually wonder if worth waiting a while to see if the price for the Aurea comes down before we have to pay our final balance?

Yes Bea!!! It's unfortunate that none of the Fantasia class ships are sailing the Eastern route from Venice,:( but we have no problem sailing on one of the Musica class ships,,in fact,,we can't wait to try one of the smaller ships!!:D

I was on Magnifica (same class as Musica) in April - first time on an MSC ship smaller than the Fantasia class - it was one of the best cruises I've been on! I really believe it came down to the captain. He attended the Black Card assembly (there were only about 20 of us onboard yet he took the time, unlike other Black Card gatherings on other ships where you were lucky if even officers attended). I can't remember his name but he was the best captain I've met so far! His fantastic attitude seemed to permeate the ship and I really experienced how much the captain can influence the atmosphere onboard. At least, that's my reading of the overall vibe. I hope you experience it on your cruise.

I was on Magnifica (same class as Musica) in April - first time on an MSC ship smaller than the Fantasia class - it was one of the best cruises I've been on! I really believe it came down to the captain. He attended the Black Card assembly (there were only about 20 of us onboard yet he took the time, unlike other Black Card gatherings on other ships where you were lucky if even officers attended). I can't remember his name but he was the best captain I've met so far! His fantastic attitude seemed to permeate the ship and I really experienced how much the captain can influence the atmosphere onboard. At least, that's my reading of the overall vibe. I hope you experience it on your cruise.

We always had a great time onboard MSC Divina when Captain Scala was commanding the ship. He always made himself available whenever we would see him on deck or in Le'Muse,,unfortunately he's not onboard any longer. Unfortunately there aren't many roll calls for MSC Musica so I may have a hard time finding out who the captain onboard might be when it's time for us to sail,,

I've been looking at Northern Europe itineraries for next summer, and it's very hard to find either Aurea or YC for any of our dates. Do they really sell out a year ahead or is there a trick or a time when blocks are released, or does MSC have a better inventory if you call?

As we have not yet booked our drink package and with the pound to dollar rate not being good. Am I correct in thinking that we could get a table for 2 with anytime dining?

There are not many 2 tops and what does that got to do with a drink package?????????????:confused::confused::confused:

There are not many 2 tops and what does that got to do with a drink package?????????????:confused::confused::confused:

I wonder if it's because with the Aurea experience you can choose the size of your table with anytime dining and .... it's all inclusive drinks. ?? It would give OP the options she's looking for with the dining and drinks package and isn't as expensive as the YC.

I know for us, these perks made Aurea very attractive.

Cheers,

Yes that is the reason I am looking at Aurea, the drink package and the tables we had next to us that were all 2's seemed to be anytime dining.

I've been looking at Northern Europe itineraries for next summer, and it's very hard to find either Aurea or YC for any of our dates. Do they really sell out a year ahead or is there a trick or a time when blocks are released, or does MSC have a better inventory if you call?

It's highly unlikely that they're sold out. MSC has a policy of restricting the sale of itineraries to certain regions. It's most likely that they're marketing those particular cruises in Europe. For example, the Seaside inaugural from Europe to her homeport of Miami is not available to book on the UK website or in Ireland. What dates are you looking at? Perhaps someone could check their region's MSC site for you? I can't book MSC online here. I have to call or go through a TA so I couldn't run a dummy booking to see what's available, sorry.

Yes that is the reason I am looking at Aurea, the drink package and the tables we had next to us that were all 2's seemed to be anytime dining.

I haven't experienced Anytime dining in the MDR yet but I believe that if you let them know in advance what time you wish to dine at they can accommodate your request for a 2 top. I've seen signs up requesting people to book their time slots. It makes sense, really, so that they can anticipate the busier times on the night and ensure that people aren't left waiting to be seated. I know that in YC you will be asked on embarkation what time you'd like to dine for the duration of the cruise. They appreciate it if you let them know in advance that you wish to alter it. The concierge in YC arranges it for you. I've seen people held back by the m'D as they had chosen early dining that day but came late. We were standing behind them - he advised them in no uncertain terms that they would have to wait as they had indicated they would be dining earlier! Whether this could happen in the MDR, I can't say, but they may not have a 2 top available if you just turn up without advance booking.

Yes Bea!!! It's unfortunate that none of the Fantasia class ships are sailing the Eastern route from Venice,:(

I wonder if it has anything to do with Venice planning to ban big ships from sailing the Grand Canal? There was a lot of talk about it for a while, it was to be postponed then it all seemed to fizzle out :confused: I've noticed it's all Musica class ships sailing from Venice now.

I am aware re the advance booking but anytime dining is included with Aurea so this seems a good option to change to. We are not into doing the shows as a rule either so will have no problem re timing. I am waiting for a quote now from our TA to find out the difference and then hopefully be able to book a cabin in the 12081 area.

I am aware re the advance booking but anytime dining is included with Aurea

I think you've missed my point. You can show up Anytime between the hours of dinner service just as you can in YC. However, to guarantee that a 2 top will be available you should advise them of the time you'd like to dine. Otherwise they may not be able to accommodate you if all the 2 tops are gone.

Yes I am aware as I have said. I know we need to request a time in advance I am just saying that anytime dining is included so for us we can chose in advance what time we eat rather than having to go at 6.30 or 8.30. I am also aware that there will be limited amounts of tables for 2 in the MDR. That would not be a deal breaker.

Best of luck with your decision, then. Is there a huge difference in the price between Aurea and Fantastica on your itinerary? With Sterling falling the way it is, it might be beneficial to have the drinks package built-in (or maybe pre-purchase it if you don't upgrade). There's also the massage and access to the thermal spa to consider if that rocks your boat! Plus a larger cabin, depending on which ship you're on.

I wonder if it has anything to do with Venice planning to ban big ships from sailing the Grand Canal? There was a lot of talk about it for a while, it was to be postponed then it all seemed to fizzle out :confused: I've noticed it's all Musica class ships sailing from Venice now.

I watched a youtube video of MSC Musica sailing through the Grand Canal during one of those protests. I really can't blame the Venetians for wanting to preserve their waterways though. I remember reading an article about the re-location of the big ship terminals but haven't heard anything about the new proposal since. :confused:

We've just booked Aurea on Divina - included is the 'More for Less' drinks package. Does this work in same way as Alegrissimo ie everything not marked with red asterisk on bar menu is included? A recent review gave pics of drinks menus and I want to be sure of wines/beers/cocktails included. Thanks

We've just booked Aurea on Divina - included is the 'More for Less' drinks package. Does this work in same way as Alegrissimo ie everything not marked with red asterisk on bar menu is included? A recent review gave pics of drinks menus and I want to be sure of wines/beers/cocktails included. Thanks

More for Less is Allegrissimo - just a different name for the US market so rest assured you'll have a comprehensive range of drinks to choose from - not to mention the included gelato ;) The asterisked items are included in the Premium package.