Any Maasdam Out Of The Way Viewing Spots?

SightCRR

If I write it here everyone will know where it is:)

That said, I like the small deck just forward of the gym. If you go up to the gym there is a door on the port side that opens to a small deck that is in front of the gym and goes to both sides of the ship. Use this area when going through the Canal and also on the Voyage of the Vikings. I know they also often open the front deck for viewing in Alaska.

Have a great trip - take the binoculars and a camera with a long lens and enjoy.

I'm especially fond of Lido Deck, out on the aft decking. There's a spot on the other side of the elevator bank that is quite comfy. There's an overhang to protect from the elements, as well as some support structure on each side, to block any wind. The view is vast. I can spend entire days out there just enjoying the fresh air and views.

There is also some stern deck space on Veranda Deck, but I don't know if there is seating out there.

I always like to go & explore when I get on board a ship to find those spaces. That been said there are deck chairs out back under the Lido deck, very few people there but you see things after you've gone by them. Also as mentioned forward out side the gym there two more decks with space to sight see. On a cruise down the Amazon the bow was open every day which I'm sure it will be cruising in Alaska. I spent hours wandering the out side decks watching the world sail past. I think it's better then having a balcony cabin.

Allan

it's not out of the way or secret, but the top forward deck above the Crow's Nest is the only HAL we know that still has the metal grill railings and not obstructed by slanted smoked glass - full view and wind in your hair - our favorite spot and love the Maasdam for this retained open view feature.

We once selected I believe the Statendam because the HAL website photos showed it had similar open rail set up but alas, when we got on the ship it had been glassed in after all. So I don't know if the Maasdam followed suit or not by now.

Agree, the viewing balcony off the gym is a good one too. Go forward on all the upper decks of cabins and see if there are any small forward deck access doors - some ships have these small forward balcony decks but it escapes now me which ones. So just go check them all. However we noticed on the Zuiderdam those forward deck doors were marked "staff only" this time.

I love the Sky Deck (deck 14, above the crow's nest). For glaciers, it's packed, but otherwise I had the place to myself much of the time. It is not glassed in so it does get windy and cold, but the view can't be beat without the obstructions of the Crow's Nest (which is also good if you want to stay warm).

There's a small deck area with a bench and some deck chairs at the stern on deck 9. People rarely go there. Also agree with the lido deck aft, particularly those tables by the rails in the middle.

I was not a fan of the viewing area in front of the gym. True, there will not be many people there, but the railing was too high for me. Not that I couldn't see, it was just awkward.

On our Alaska trip last month, the bow was open anytime during daylight except during adverse weather (which we really didn't have save for about an hour after Icy Strait Point). I was also less of a fan of the bow (also packed during scenic cruising). Access is through the glassed-in stairwells at the forward end of the lower promenade deck (deck 6). Signage was not at all obvious though so I don't think many people realized they could be out there or how to get there.

For my money, that Sky Deck cannot be beat.

Hello,

Have any of the experienced HAL cruisers visited the area on the aft of the ships that is very low and close to the wake? On the Noordam it is on the main deck.

It looks roomy but it doesn't look like it has large window areas. Any info would be great. I'm booked on this deck and use a scooter so it looks handy.

The deck plans show tables and chairs and that is always accurate...right?

Thanks to all

6boysnana

Hello,

Have any of the experienced HAL cruisers visited the area on the aft of the ships that is very low and close to the wake? On the Noordam it is on the main deck.

It looks roomy but it doesn't look like it has large window areas. Any info would be great. I'm booked on this deck and use a scooter so it looks handy.

The deck plans show tables and chairs and that is always accurate...right?

Thanks to all

6boysnana

On the Rotterdam (another class HAL ship than Vista ship) during a 50 day cruise we spent a lot of sea days on the lower aft decks where you could look down the deck stairwell and see (and hear) the wake left by the engines cutting through the seas as we steamed half way around the world.

There were loungers set up back there on both lower aft decks. We thought it was a great way to enjoy our long days at sea, since we were in an ocean view room on that cruise and this was our back yard. Though some got quite territorial about "their" loungers which they dragged into almost a cave and had them stacked up with spent dining trays.

We thought the direct aft view of that much water power movement was far more interesting, than looking at it merely sideways off a balcony cabin.

Hello,

I believe on the Noordam that is not a public area.

One huge problem getting outside with a scooter is getting over any lips at the doorway. Scooters can have a low clearance, and get hung up. Another problem is getting through the doorway. Unless you have someone to hold the door for you, or the door has an electric eye, it's tough.

it's not out of the way or secret, but the top forward deck above the Crow's Nest is the only HAL we know that still has the metal grill railings and not obstructed by slanted smoked glass - full view and wind in your hair - our favorite spot and love the Maasdam for this retained open view feature.

We once selected I believe the Statendam because the HAL website photos showed it had similar open rail set up but alas, when we got on the ship it had been glassed in after all. So I don't know if the Maasdam followed suit or not by now.

Agree, the viewing balcony off the gym is a good one too. Go forward on all the upper decks of cabins and see if there are any small forward deck access doors - some ships have these small forward balcony decks but it escapes now me which ones. So just go check them all. However we noticed on the Zuiderdam those forward deck doors were marked "staff only" this time.

Veendam has the same above the Crows Nest. :D (It can get really windy up there. Coming into Ushuaia, the wind was howling, the deck was wet, and I got blown (skidded) backwards by the wind.:eek: Needless to say, we didn't dock.

Not sure if Maasdam has this, but I found myself up Staircase Oscar and in a wonderful, window filled stairway on Veendam. There were no "crew only" signs so I am assuming it was ok to be there.

(Maybe if Copper sees this, he'll reply.)

There is an aft viewing area on Main Deck, I think also on A Deck. No chairs usually although I have seen some that people brought there. They are covered and reached by the stairs from Lower Promenade or the door from the hallway between the cabins. m--