NCL - MORE - Nickel & Dimming

Last year The new CEO - Frank J. Del Rio, for NCL declared his intention to gouge his already booked passengers for another $50. - $100. per cabin on every cruise. Well he has more than accomplished this.

On the July 1st 2016, cruise on the Breakaway the EXCLUSIVE GATHERING rewards party with Senior Officers, was reduced to 30 minutes. Used to be an hour.

No longer permitted to bring any water or soda onboard. I really dislike Pepsi. How do I get a diet coke?

Passengers absolutely have no way of determining if the people who waited on them are receiving their tips? How do you know there isn't any chicanery or razzle-dazzle involved; because It is up to the whims of NCL Corporate who they pay or not pay!

Disproportionate Cutbacks:

With two Platinum Rewards Members of Latitudes sharing the same cabin:

Only one small box of candy per cabin? Used to be twice the size.

Only one bottle sparking wine per cabin?

No more Platinum Cocktail party on Breakaway or Getaway?

No more fireworks displays on Breakaway or Getaway? Even on the 4th of July, no fireworks on the Breakaway.

No more complimentary lobster tails in the MDR? Now you can pay for it?

No more shrimp cocktails in the MDR?

The New Menu in the MDR is awful.

No more children's pricing in the "Specially Restaurants"

No more free room service, now $7.95 per order?

New 18% surcharge on all specialty restaurants?

New 18% surcharge on all drinks,

New 18% surcharge on all food purchases at the coffee cafe.

This amounts to double tipping!

But, Not called a tip but a surcharge!?

Who is receiving the benefit of this surcharge? Certainly not the folks who waited on you!

The daily tip charge has also gone up twice in one year?

Time in ports shortened, FDR wants you back on the ship spending your money.

Asian noodle bar now complimentary, but very reduced selection.

Now pay taxes on FREE UBP/SDP packages.

UDP IS NOW SDP

Blue Man group gone.

Nickelodeon gone.

Cancellation policy - worst in the cruise industry.

AARP Discount gone.

This is called Excessive GREED!

Everywhere you look, NCL has made cuts to their product and found new ways to charge more money and provide less products to their passengers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you are unhappy, move on.

One thing I am certain about in this life is "things change".

A lot of people in non-suite cabins used to wish for a hot breakfast via room service. Now they can choose that with a fee. Might be worth it to some.

Others wished for a alcohol inclusive package. Now, if they see value in the pricing, they can get it.

I don't know what changes are coming next, but I will consider what value it is for ME. And make my choice.

After your fare is contracted, nobody can make you pay that extra $50 unless you want to.

This Oct. on Breakaway will be my first with NCL and I bet you anything you want it will feel no different than any other cruise I have been on. I bet we notice no real difference in quality or pleasure from this cruise. We usually spend about $1,000 on the ship between specialty restaurants, excursions, merchandise/gifts and drinks except those are free on our first NCL cruise so we might actually end up spending less. People really do have to chill with this stuff. If I didn't actually know better I'd truly think the sky was falling.

This Oct. on Breakaway will be my first with NCL and I bet you anything you want it will feel no different than any other cruise I have been on. I bet we notice no real difference in quality or pleasure from this cruise. We usually spend about $1,000 on the ship between specialty restaurants, excursions, merchandise/gifts and drinks except those are free on our first NCL cruise so we might actually end up spending less. People really do have to chill with this stuff. If I didn't actually know better I'd truly think the sky was falling.

This.

I have noticed absolutely no effect on my onboard experience in the time that Del Rio has been around. It really hasn't made a difference.

That's why I find this list quite amusing. I'm not sure whether I'm expected to ignore my first hand experience because someone has a list that trumps it. :)

If these changes do impact people's enjoyment then they should move elsewhere. Again, that should be based on their experiences, not because of a list of other people's opinions.

I actually like the dimming.....it gives the stateroom romantic lighting.

I have to agree, much more romantic, but I hope they don't start dimming all the lights as they could have an increase in accidents..... Don't want to trip up! :D

I have to agree with those who said you simply need to evaluate what works for you. It does no good to come here and rant about it. I understand some people are upset. I can't think of a single change that has really impacted me except the increase in the DSC, and I don't have a huge problem with that. If NCL makes changes that negatively impact my enjoyment then I'll start looking elsewhere. That's what I did when Carnival started making changes, and I started cruising with NCL. So far, nothing's come close to being a deal breaker for me. I would like to be able to bring a few bottles of water or cans of soda on board, but I just bought a water bottle with a filter so I'm good to go. :D

I have to agree, much more romantic, but I hope they don't start dimming all the lights as they could have an increase in accidents..... Don't want to trip up! :D

I don't know. If people start tripping due to the dimming, there's money to be made due to increased visits to the infirmary. ;)

Last year The new CEO - Frank J. Del Rio, for NCL declared his intention to gouge his already booked passengers for another $50. - $100. per cabin on every cruise. Well he has more than accomplished this.

On the July 1st 2016, cruise on the Breakaway the EXCLUSIVE GATHERING rewards party with Senior Officers, was reduced to 30 minutes. Used to be an hour.

No longer permitted to bring any water or soda onboard. I really dislike Pepsi. How do I get a diet coke?

Passengers absolutely have no way of determining if the people who waited on them are receiving their tips? How do you know there isn't any chicanery or razzle-dazzle involved; because It is up to the whims of NCL Corporate who they pay or not pay!

No more fireworks displays on Breakaway or Getaway? Even on the 4th of July, no fireworks on the Breakaway.

Who is receiving the benefit of this surcharge? Certainly not the folks who waited on you!

UDP IS NOW SDP

Blue Man group gone.

Nickelodeon gone.

AARP Discount gone.

Everywhere you look, NCL has made cuts to their product and found new ways to charge more money and provide less products to their passengers.

I don't see any of this as an issue. I suggest that you find another line. If you want these types of amenities you need to be on the luxury lines.

I'm very new to NCL and contemplating a cruise on the Getaway. I was excited to hear about The Grammy Experience, which sounded like a unique and interesting venue. It has been taken away. I also hear that the affiliation with the Cake Boss guy and Chef Zakarian had ended. Nickelodeon, also. What's with the short contracts made by NCL? It doesn't make any difference to me, I just find it odd that this new(er) ship had already lost so many of its contracted affiliations.

This.

I have noticed absolutely no effect on my onboard experience in the time that Del Rio has been around. It really hasn't made a difference.

That's why I find this list quite amusing. I'm not sure whether I'm expected to ignore my first hand experience because someone has a list that trumps it. :)

If these changes do impact people's enjoyment then they should move elsewhere. Again, that should be based on their experiences, not because of a list of other people's opinions.

I will have to see, but I believe you are correct. Everything will be fine, we'll have a great time and enjoy a gorgeous big beautiful ship, The Breakaway.

I'm very new to NCL and contemplating a cruise on the Getaway. I was excited to hear about The Grammy Experience, which sounded like a unique and interesting venue. It has been taken away. I also hear that the affiliation with the Cake Boss guy and Chef Zakarian had ended. Nickelodeon, also. What's with the short contracts made by NCL? It doesn't make any difference to me, I just find it odd that this new(er) ship had already lost so many of its contracted affiliations.

FWIW-

The Cake Boss bakery items were garbage. The cakes provided gratis by NCL on birthdays were much better.This is no big loss, IMHO.

As for Zakarian- there still is Ocean Blu and the lobster rolls and the food is still amazing. Who is to say that his, as well as Nickelodeon's franchise fees had not sky rocketed? We will have to ask the resident CC conspiracy theorists.:D

FWIW-

The Cake Boss bakery items were garbage. The cakes provided gratis by NCL on birthdays were much better.This is no big loss, IMHO.

As for Zakarian- there still is Ocean Blu and the lobster rolls and the food is still amazing. Who is to say that his, as well as Nickelodeon's franchise fees had not sky rocketed? We will have to ask the resident CC conspiracy theorists.:D

I'll add to that. People complained about the shrimp cocktail in the MDR all the time on this site. No great loss there either. The 18% gratuity on drinks is not new, just an increase from 15%. Tax on UBP/SDP? Wasn't aware of that. True, no more fireworks but that was pre FDR. There are still AARP discounts. Was checking prices a few days ago and saw some available for some cruises.

I realize the OP wanted to vent and I agree, there are some changes that are disappointing. But some of what was stated is a bit misleading. the The biggest change that concerns me is that fares seem to have increased so much, but that's true across the industry.

Quilting Cruise

I don't know. If people start tripping due to the dimming, there's money to be made due to increased visits to the infirmary. ;)

Dimming, saves more fuel, generators don't have to run as hard to supply electricity more money in someone's pocket. :p

I'm very new to NCL and contemplating a cruise on the Getaway. I was excited to hear about The Grammy Experience, which sounded like a unique and interesting venue. It has been taken away. I also hear that the affiliation with the Cake Boss guy and Chef Zakarian had ended. Nickelodeon, also. What's with the short contracts made by NCL?

I sailed on Getaway last year and the Grammy Experience was pretty much empty, all the time. No surprise an experience of limited interest was removed.

Anyone can bake a good cake and Ocean Blue was much better this year without Zakarian.

The cake boss contract had the cakes made in New Jersey (or wherever the guy is), and shipped to the ship. NCL got a LOT of complaints because they had to be frozen, then thawed, and they got mushy, and some that were not completely frozen were moldy. They decided to make them onboard (fresh) instead. That is why they terminated the contract.

The NCL contract with nick finished up - it was in place before the newer ships - they decided to change contracts to one with the Kings Association (?), which is sports oriented and freed the youth counselors from having to spend time doing meet and greets dressed up as Dora.

Don't know about Zakarian, but the others were in place before the new ships

I sailed on Getaway last year and the Grammy Experience was pretty much empty, all the time. No surprise an experience of limited interest was removed.

Anyone can bake a good cake and Ocean Blue was much better this year without Zakarian.

What replaced the Grammy Experience?

OP: I do agree with you. There have been way too many cutbacks/cost increases in quite a short period of time. I couldn't believe NCL increased the daily service charge twice in just 5 or 6 months last year.

It would be nice if both platinums in a cabin got bottles of bubbly--not just one per cabin.

NCL's no longer serving lobster one night "included in fare" is annoying. It had become part of the fun of cruising over the years. Other lines still include it!

The "free" UBP is not by any means free. And they are not forward enough with the actual cost. A friend booked Breakaway and was very surprised that she had to front the 18% on the beverage package.

I'm glad we have a variety of cruise lines to choose from. :cool:

Edited by mizLORInj

Okay, I get it, OP misspelled "Diming" Happens a lot with Auto Spell-Check.

Anyway, the OP came to the NCL boards to vent. It is after all a community to share helpful advice, brag, nit-pick, and yes, complain. It always amazes me when a person expresses dissatisfaction with a cruise line the number of people who automatically say "If you are not happy, go someplace else." Followed by "The new beverage policy doesn't affect me, so I don't care" or "I never use room service, so I don't care if there is now a charge." Apparently, a number of people do care, which is why there are so many threads about what some perceive as deal breakers. If people don't express their dissatisfaction every cruise line will continue to chip away at services until they finally drive a sizable number of customers away. Everyone has a point that they would no longer cruise with a particular line. For example:

Smoking-If a ship banned ALL smoking on board it would drive some customers away (And probably attract others). If a cruise line allowed smoking anywhere and everywhere on a ship, it would drive away some customers, and probably attract others.

To OP-Continue to share your opinion with your voice, your pen, and your pocketbook (Or wallet). You may want to consider another cruise line to spend your hard-earned vacation dollars with, or you may decide that despite the changes of the past year or so, in the end, NCL delivers the best overall experience for you. I for one appreciated your list. While not personally affected by much on this list, I found it an enlightening read.

I have been following the controversy about the new ban of bringing bottled water/soda on board with interest. I have never personally done such a thing, but had considered bringing an 8-pack of Coke when we sailed on the Escape in December (I despise Pepsi-just a personal preference). I can't do that now, and not a deal breaker by any stretch, but then I read the outrageous price for pre-ordering bottled water for your stateroom (Much higher than Carnival & Princess) and the fact bottle water is NOT included in the drink packages (Included in Celebrity's premium drink package) and I realized I don't like the fact that NCL, IMO, is gouging a captive audience. If not for people complaining, I would have never known......Until my 8-pack of Coke was ripped from my hands, and I probably would have gone ballistic at the Port of Miami. :eek:

(snip)

The "free" UBP is not by any means free. And they are not forward enough with the actual cost. A friend booked Breakaway and was very surprised that she had to front the 18% on the beverage package.

I'm glad we have a variety of cruise lines to choose from. :cool:

The 18% gratuity charge is right there in the Terms and Conditions of the promos on the web site. Every passenger should be reading what the are getting with their fare and promo. Even with the 18%, the UBP promo is a great deal. That's just my opinion though.

Pom-poms in hand...Really? Things change. I sailed with NCL for the first time on the SS Norway, what memories, but heck no would I want that exact same experience today.

Yes, that's what executives do. I'm sure the shareholders agree.

By staying on shore. Cruising is a choice.

Don't insinuate. Are you accusing NCL, a publicly trade corporation, of gross accounting fraud? If you feel that way, buy 1 share of stock and file a lawsuit.

I didn't eat any of the comps I got. Too much going on. Wouldn't even notice.

RCI is apparently having similar issues with loyalty perks.

I was shocked they even tried. This is a huge logistical and safety issue. Guaranteed, Marine fought Marketing at every turn. Disney has to do it and they can command the premium for it.

And really, it was kind of annoying, they had to stop the party, clear part of the deck, turn the ship...oy, just keep the music and booze going.

Believe me, you don't want 'complimentary' lobster. Lobster is an up-charge item on RCI and Carnival as well.

I had a shrimp appetizer one night.

No, it's not. Now this is getting really silly.

There are children's items. You have to ask the waiter.

On demand Room Service is very expensive. Why should I, who never orders Room Service, have to subsidize it?

You don't want to tip?*

You don't want to tip?*

You don't want to tip?*

*Disclaimer: I actually would prefer if 'tipping' were no longer expected in all restaurants, everywhere. Price the service with staff pay included and be done with it.

How so?

Again, if you're going to accuse them of fraud, do it, in court.

There are a lot of new ships coming on line. They have to compete for crew. The cheapest labor never works out. I'm more than happy to pay a premium price for premium crew.

Personally, the less time in port the better. I was off the ship max 2hrs on my last 7 day.

When it was paid, there literally was never anyone there. Never. Ever.

The customer is required to pay any taxes when in the taxing jurisdiction. If anyone has a problem with this, take it up with the State of Florida, the State of New York, the State of Louisiana, the State of Washington or whatever government you are paying the tax to. This has nothing to do with NCL.

UDP IS NOW SDP

Um.....ok??? And Norwegian Caribbean Line is now Norwegian Cruise Line.:confused:

Blue Man group gone.

What exactly is wrong with Priscilla, Queen of the Desert? Regular cruisers might appreciate rotating shows.

Nickelodeon gone.

Maybe the kids really didn't care about this.

Meh, I always get insurance.

AARP Discount gone.

I have a comment about this, but I'll hold back a little.

Nope, it's called offering a great product for customers who appreciate it. I will cruise with NCL many more times.

The product across all the major lines has gotten amazingly better year after year and, sorry, some of the old 'traditions' have to go.

The 20 or so crew manning the water slides and ropes course provide much more 'value' to me than delivering Room Service. Believe me, any reason for me to stay in my stateroom would be well worth $8.

NCL, or any other cruise line for that matter, is not out to get you or purposely ruin your vacation. Why would they do that? There are reasons for everything but people take things so personally. Just have a great time with what you get. If you focus on the loss, that's all you're going to see. Enjoy the AquaRacer, it's really a blast.

Edited by boatseller@hotmail.com

The 18% gratuity charge is right there in the Terms and Conditions of the promos on the web site. Every passenger should be reading what the are getting with their fare and promo. Even with the 18%, the UBP promo is a great deal. That's just my opinion though.

Its an insanely great deal, I agree 100%. People are NUTS with the 18% gratuity. Its for the crew so they don't lose salary because of a promo the cruise line is running. I don't get the bitching over that one to be completely honest.