Need Advice OnBoard Credit Issue

Cruisin Kay D

I don't know where to turn & need some advice. I booked a Princess Cruise for us & another couple through a travel agent we trusted & had used numerous times prior. She told us each couple would get a $300 OBC from Princess & $50 from her company and the invoice reflected that amenity. I know I am prohibited from naming this TA or the company but it is located in California & I live in Tennessee.

After a few days on ship, I discovered that we did NOT have any OBC attached to our account. I asked about it on ship at Guest Services & was told that Princess HQ had no record of us having an OBC. I called TA from the cruise, she said she would check on it & that we should have had it. She said we would get a check once we were home.

The cruise ended on April 24 and so far we have received NO $$$. I have called &/or emailed the TA weekly since the cruise and keep getting the "run around". I have even written the owner of the company who passed the email along to the woman I used. The TA eventually acknowledged she made a mistake, but has always said a check will be mailed to us "next week".

I have never talked to Princess directly, because it sounds like it is not their fault. However I feel like Princess needs to know about this huge mistake.

This was our 23rd Princess cruise and 47th cruise overall. This TA company (not this specific woman TA) has probably handled 15-20% of our cruises and I have also referred alot of friends & family to this company. For example, I brought her 4 new couples for our Canal cruise in January.

What sort of recourse do I have?

Edited by Cruisin Kay D

I'm guessing that you didn't check the "Payments and credits" section of the cruise personalizer in advance.

At this point, you have no recourse other than to contact the manager/owner of the agency again. It would cost more to sue them than it would be worth. The only other thing you can do is to never use them again and let your friends know that the agent "did you wrong."

My understanding (I'm not an agent and may not fully understand this) is that when an agent books a cruise, they are awarded "points" in addition to their commission. These points have a dollar value and can be used to provide a gift to you or can be saved and used for another cruiser....my TA turned the points into an OBC which she credited to us, which explained why the credit was a weird amount. It could also have been used for such things as a floral arrangement, an internet package, etc. I'm happier with the OBC because I can use that as I choose. So even the $50 she promised you from the agency was not coming from her pocket!

I don't know where to turn & need some advice. I booked a Princess Cruise for us & another couple through a travel agent we trusted & had used numerous times prior. She told us each couple would get a $300 OBC from Princess & $50 from her company and the invoice reflected that amenity. I know I am prohibited from naming this TA or the company but it is located in California & I live in Tennessee.

What sort of recourse do I have?

You need to contact Princess. I'm thinking you may have booked your cruise under the same promotion I booked my upcoming Princess cruise. This booking did include $300 OBC from Princess.

I would, gently, contact Princess and explain the facts you presented here. You should specifically inquire from Princess whether at the time of booking did your cruise qualify for this $300 OBC.

If you qualified and did not receive a Princess promo, Princess should get involved on your behalf with the TA. If this TA is a part of a larger group, then that group should also get involved. This type of thing can reflect adversely on Princess and the TA that provide their bookings.

The $300 OBC from Princess was part of a recent promo in Febr, March, April & May, & both couples had booked mini-suites. She supposedly caught it on the 1st day!!! The cruise was a 7 nt west coast "special" & booked end of Febr.

The canal cruise was this PAST Jan. We don't have any other cruises booked at this time.

Edited by Cruisin Kay D

The $300 OBC from Princess was part of a recent promo in Febr, March, April & May, & both couples had booked mini-suites. She supposedly caught it on the 1st day!!! The cruise was a 7 nt west coast "special" & booked end of Febr.

I'm missing something. If she "caught it" on the 1st day, why didn't you get the OBC?

I'm with the others--keep riding the head of the agency. And let him know that if the issue is not resolved by X date, you will be moving all current bookings and not booking any more with them.

OBC can be a tricky thing when it comes to the cruise personalizer. Not all OBC appears and at times it is reflected in a partial amount, particularly if the OBC is TA related. I have also found that loyalty credit for x# of cruises does not appear. What is pretty consistent is Shareholders credit, OBC from a prior cruise granted to the passenger for a future cruise and if a promotion had a specified $ amount and is directly from Princess. I always arrive prepared with printed proof of any expected OBC, just in case there is an issue. To date after 33 cruises, I have not experienced any issue OBC not being there. I feel bad for the OP. There was obviously an unfortunate mistake somewhere, likely with the TA or a big misunderstanding about the promotion. I have found that even when a promotion is running I have been disqualified for a reason that lies in the fine print.

"caught" ...what I meant is it was day before or 1st day of the promo -- I didn't get an email until later than day about it from Prin.

Is it worth filing a complaint with State of Calif (they have to be licensed) or BBB or a Chamber of Commerce?? What about I put something on their Facebook page?? I have considered getting a lawyer to write them.

I had the invoice from the TA with me showing the credit!!!

Edited by Cruisin Kay D

"caught" ...what I meant is it was day before or 1st day of the promo -- I didn't get an email until later than day about it from Prin.

Is it worth filing a complaint with State of Calif (they have to be licensed) or BBB or a Chamber of Commerce?? What about I put something on their Facebook page?? I have considered getting a lawyer to write them.

So, this was a Princess promotion? If so, then I think the first step should be that recommended by RocketMan: Call Princess (you probably will need to escalate and be transferred a few times to get to someone who can look up your old booking) and check and make sure that your booking was indeed eligible for the OBC. Remember that often any OBC amount advertised is the max allowable and thus, if you picked a shorter cruise or a lower cabin category, you actually qualify for less. So it seems like Job #1 is to find out what you were actually eligible for.

At that point, I would again contact the agency owner/president, with a polite but factual (i.e., referencing the facts you've just gotten from your chat with Princess) explanation of what you should have gotten. By all means, include documentation: a photocopy of your shipboard account showing no OBC and a copy of the agency invoice showing $300.*

*Bear in mind that the agency invoice can show anything they want. In other words, I can envision a scenario in which Princess looks up your booking and tells you that yes, there was a $300 on offer but your sailing/cabin category didn't qualify. If your agent goofed and thought you did qualify, she can put $300 on the invoice til the cows come home, but that doesn't obligate Princess to actually credit you with that money. In that case, I don't see the agency doing much for you, except a groveling apology would be in order from the TA's boss, I would think. And maybe some future OBC as a goodwill gesture.

We do hope that the OP is eventually able to get this issue resolved and receive their OBC. However, this case is simply one more example of why cruisers need to carry documentation of promises (OBCs, amenities, etc) with them when they go on a cruise. When an OBC fails to appear on one's OBC account...having something in writing will go a long way to getting fast action from Guest Relations.

Hank

BBB is not a governing body in my state. What happens is that any business that "joins" the BBB is awarded an A+ rating until they have any negative feedback. If you make a complaint, the BBB sends a copy of your complaint to the business and asks for their response. Then based on the response, they decide whether to reduce the rating of the business. They can suggest to the agency that they try to "make you whole," but they can't enforce anything. At this point, the strongest thing against the agency is probably their failure to send you the promised check. You MIGHT have that promise in e-mail form or you might have no proof of what the agency has told you. Obviously, sending a copy of the invoice showing the OBC and a folio from Princess showing no OBC would be appropriate.

You could see if they are listed in Yelp or google and leave a negative review there. I don't know what you are or are not allowed to write on their FB page. It seems to me that you are within your rights to leave a negative review on any site that accepts reviews about them.

We do hope that the OP is eventually able to get this issue resolved and receive their OBC. However, this case is simply one more example of why cruisers need to carry documentation of promises (OBCs, amenities, etc) with them when they go on a cruise. When an OBC fails to appear on one's OBC account...having something in writing will go a long way to getting fast action from Guest Relations.

Hank

I think this will only help if the documentation of the OBC is from Princess. An invoice from her TA showing $300 isn't going to make Princess give it to her if it doesn't show in their records.

Will Princess talk to you about a cruise booked through a TA after the fact? They sure won't beforehand; they'll refer you back to your TA.

I think this will only help if the documentation of the OBC is from Princess. An invoice from her TA showing $300 isn't going to make Princess give it to her if it doesn't show in their records.

Will Princess talk to you about a cruise booked through a TA after the fact? They sure won't beforehand; they'll refer you back to your TA.

The reason I'm recommending OP call Princess is to make Princess aware that this TA is not following through on the TA obligations to Princess.

I'm wondering if it is possible that the TA scammed OP, ie, told her she got the promo and then booked the cruise at a lower rate without the promo allowing the TA to pocket the promo fee.

If OP can show fraud by the TA, Princess should get involved.

OBC can be a tricky thing when it comes to the cruise personalizer. Not all OBC appears and at times it is reflected in a partial amount, particularly if the OBC is TA related. I have also found that loyalty credit for x# of cruises does not appear.

Along those lines, we got a $200 OBC at the time of booking that I have not seen in my Cruise Personalizer. When I called the TA she indicated that because the OBC is considered a "gift" from the agency rather than coming directly from Princess it will not show up in the CP but we will receive it upon boarding. That sounded reasonable to me, but we'll see -- cruise leaves this weekend! I'll come armed with my email documentation just in case though. My sympathies to the OP!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The reason I'm recommending OP call Princess is to make Princess aware that this TA is not following through on the TA obligations to Princess.

I'm wondering if it is possible that the TA scammed OP, ie, told her she got the promo and then booked the cruise at a lower rate without the promo allowing the TA to pocket the promo fee.

If OP can show fraud by the TA, Princess should get involved.

I agree. Princess needs to know if an agent selling their cruises is not doing business properly. I, too, would suspect that she pocketed the OBC, and it needs to be checked out.

If your entire cruise and folio was paid with ONE credit card. You may be able to contact the credit card company for help.

Example had medical bill Recently, should have been coded 'wellness' provider wouldn't listen, insurance wouldn't listen...finally contacted credit card company, and At least I felt like SOMEONE was trying to help me.

But make sure you have a hard copy of this OBC. And a hard copy of the final folio to prove you never received OBC.

Rather than think the TA was sketchy and pocketed the OBC as some have suggested, it's possible that he/she made a mistake early on and didn't correct it maybe hoping it would all go away (kinda like burying their head in the sand and hoping it would all pass over). For whatever reason, I hope the OP gets the money back. The amount is not insignificant. If it were a lower amount (say $50), I would just write it off, but not let the TA off the hook and let the agency know you were pulling your future business.

Rather than think the TA was sketchy and pocketed the OBC as some have suggested, it's possible that he/she made a mistake early on and didn't correct it maybe hoping it would all go away (kinda like burying their head in the sand and hoping it would all pass over). For whatever reason, I hope the OP gets the money back. The amount is not insignificant. If it were a lower amount (say $50), I would just write it off, but not let the TA off the hook and let the agency know you were pulling your future business.

I don't know if the TA was 'sketchy' but I do know the only way to find out is to contact Princess.

I always....always go onto my cruises with Princess as soon as I book and print off my OBC's. It even shows what my TA has given me. Then when I get my Stockholder obc, I go back and print an updated one and take it on the cruise with me.

I think this will only help if the documentation of the OBC is from Princess. An invoice from her TA showing $300 isn't going to make Princess give it to her if it doesn't show in their records. It helps because then the Purser's desk will contact HQ with the information and HQ will then contact the TA to get the issue resolved one way or the other.

Princess will tell you on the phone before the cruise how much OBC you have even if booked with a TA.