Adult Comedy Shows and kids

Welcome home. When I was 18 years old I was in Vietnam. What frosts my stones are those parents that bring their little kids into QWEST when RCCL always requests no minors!

Thank you for your service, that was an unpopular era in which to serve.

The adults in there deserve not to be uncomfortable because a child is where s/he does not belong.

Hubby and I have attended the Oasis Comedy Club show. While we enjoyed it, the content was pretty rough. My concern isn't so much for the adults in the room being uncomfortable; it's more about underage children hearing things they shouldn't be privy to. I can't imagine anyone would want to take their child there, but there may be some. :(

I get your point, kids shouldn't be in adult areas and plenty of adults don't understand that for various reasons. While I understand RCL has no method of determining maturity so they use the arbitrary age of 18, there are those older than 18 that shouldn't be allowed in 'adult' areas and those under 18 that could be allowed.

Personally speaking, at age 17 this snowflake was in basic training. :D

FWIW, the solarium is billed as 'adults only' and then they post signs that say the you must be 16 or older to enter.

So RCL seems to be inconsistent as to whether you're an adult at 16 or 18.

If your old enough to serve our country, I think you can handle an adult comedy show. Thank your "snowflake" for his service and thank you for the many sacrifices I know you make. Wish I could buy him a drink at that show (or her). Parents discretion should be the rule, at this age.

Edited by marbat105

On the Oasis TA a couple of years ago, we were able to prebook the comedy show for both adults and for my oldest who was 17 at the time. The hten 15 year old wasa no go.

I think we ended up going to 4 shows and then one night they literally had cruise staff up in the promenade trying to get more people to go down for hte show---they only had an audience of about 7 people at that point.

We asked if our 15 year old could come, and if so our group of 8 at that point would happily go, but we didn't really want to split up that night since the 15 year old had made plans to hang with us and not others. We explained we had already seen teh comedian a few times and were fully OK with whatever might come up. No go. So it seems the age they pick is pretty fixed--even when they are desperate to fill seats. But that age was not 18 when we sailed. I am hoping that hasn't really changed, my yougnest will be 17 on the Harmony and wants to see the show this time.

On the Oasis TA a couple of years ago, we were able to ,'mprebook the comedy show for both adults and for my oldest who was 17 at the time. The hten 15 year old wasa no go.

I think we ended up going to 4 shows and then one night they literally had cruise staff up in the promenade trying to get more people to go down for hte show---they only had an audience of about 7 people at that point.

We asked if our 15 year old could come, and if so our group of 8 at that point would happily go, but we didn't really want to split up that night since the 15 year old had made plans to hang with us and not others. We explained we had already seen teh comedian a few times and were fully OK with whatever might come up. No go. So it seems the age they pick is pretty fixed--even when they are desperate to fill seats. But that age was not 18 when we sailed. I am hoping that hasn't really changed, my yougnest will be 17 on the Harmony and wants to see the show this time.

Sounds to me like you are referring to a comedy show in the main theater. The comedy club shows are usually sold out with a line waiting outside to get in for the no shows. Your Seapass card is scanned to confirm your reservation hence they know the age of people going in. Pretty sure it's 18.

If your old enough to serve our country, I think you can handle an adult comedy show. Thank your "snowflake" for his service and thank you for the many sacrifices I know you make. Wish I could buy him a drink at that show (or her). Parents discretion should be the rule, at this age.

Potential legal liability in today's highly sensitive and politically correct world. Best to enforce the Adult Only 18+ rule just to play it safe.

Sounds to me like you are referring to a comedy show in the main theater. The comedy club shows are usually sold out with a line waiting outside to get in for the no shows. Your Seapass card is scanned to confirm your reservation hence they know the age of people going in. Pretty sure it's 18.

She's not. She's talking about the Oasis.

Even Love & Marriage can push the limits (hence a recommendation for no kids) but we saw lot of young kids when we attended. When my parents "qualified" due to it being their 60th anniversary (oldest married) my brothers and our wives (all mid-50s) were in for a shock. When the inevitable "strangest whoopee location" question came up.....

OMG :eek: M&D... WAY T M I :o:o:o So if you take kids (no matter how old) to L&M skip trying out for the stage. :rolleyes:

So, where was it? :D

My last trip on Freedom, one mom thought it was a good idea not only to bring her 15 year-old son to the adult comedy show but to sit dead center in the 3rd row. You gotta' love comedians. He zeroed right in on him and mom. It was like free material and he totally roasted them right in their seats. He made it clear to mom that he wasn't cleaning it up and stayed true to form. My favorite was the post show comment by the host (not the CD) in which she too zeroed in on mom and said, "If anyone has a complaint about the content of the show, too bad! We F'n warned you. Goodnight!"

My last trip on Freedom, one mom thought it was a good idea not only to bring her 15 year-old son to the adult comedy show but to sit dead center in the 3rd row. You gotta' love comedians. He zeroed right in on him and mom. It was like free material and he totally roasted them right in their seats. He made it clear to mom that he wasn't cleaning it up and stayed true to form. My favorite was the post show comment by the host (not the CD) in which she too zeroed in on mom and said, "If anyone has a complaint about the content of the show, too bad! We F'n warned you. Goodnight!"

We were on NCL Breakaway in the theater for Rock of Ages. They announce that it is adult several times before the show starts. For whatever reason people think that small children and babies are ok. During a part a baby kept crying and the actor went off script and said what he could stick in the kids mouth to quiet it. Half the cast started laughing along with the entire audience. It was hysterical.

No, I am refering to the ticked show down in the little venue near the ice rink.

Some shows were sold out with prebookings, others ran parallel to Harispray, etc and they struggled to fill them--this was a TA with many more oppurtinities to attend than on a normal sailing.

Edited by NHDisneylover

No, I am refering to the ticked show down in the little venue near the ice rink.

Some shows were sold out with prebookings, others ran parallel to Harispray, etc and they struggled to fill them--this was a TA with many more oppurtinities to attend than on a normal sailing.

Apologies! Must have been the TA - sailed Oasis and Allure several times and there has always been a packed house.

So let's summarize:

1. Oasis Class has reservation system that will not let you book anyone under 18.

2. Walk in's are still screened, so no under 18.

3. Small venue, not one you can hide in the top row.

4. Adult theme, especially in terms of language and content.

5. Performers want to feel comfortable to present the content without fear the content will harm children.

6. Audience may feel uncomfortable with children and said subject matter in a intimate venue.

So bottom line NO, even if you feel it appropriate they can't go. My wife and I enjoyed the show very much, while my daughter has a great time at Adventure Ocean as she typically did that was our solution.

So let's summarize:

1. Oasis Class has reservation system that will not let you book anyone under 18.

2. Walk in's are still screened, so no under 18.

3. Small venue, not one you can hide in the top row.

4. Adult theme, especially in terms of language and content.

5. Performers want to feel comfortable to present the content without fear the content will harm children.

6. Audience may feel uncomfortable with children and said subject matter in a intimate venue.

So bottom line NO, even if you feel it appropriate they can't go. My wife and I enjoyed the show very much, while my daughter has a great time at Adventure Ocean as she typically did that was our solution.

Just to repeat, in our experience on Oasis the prebooking allowed the 17 year old to prebook the comedy show in the small comedy club and said 17 year old was able to attend multiple shows there. We did not lie about their age

Just to repeat, in our experience on Oasis the prebooking allowed the 17 year old to prebook the comedy show in the small comedy club and said 17 year old was able to attend multiple shows there. We did not lie about their age

17 year olds are allowed in the comedy club only when accompanied by an adult.

Thank you to everyone who replied.

Someone asked how old my kids are, and the one that I would be ok with attending the show is 16.

I didn't realize this was a not in the main theater. I was on a Disney cruise last year and the comedian was in an adults only area of the ship.

There are 4 times the comedy show is shown during my upcoming cruise. Two of them are at 9pm. The other is at midnight. The 9 pm ones were full and I couldn't book myself a seat so I booked one for one of the midnight shows. Does anyone know if the 9pm shows are also adult shows, or is that a family show? It looks like its full either way, but I am curious.

Do they still do the quest game show on Oasis?

Thanks again for providing all the information!

Someone asked how old my kids are, and the one that I would be ok with attending the show is 16.

I didn't realize this was a not in the main theater. I was on a Disney cruise last year and the comedian was in an adults only area of the ship.

There are 4 times the comedy show is shown during my upcoming cruise. Two of them are at 9pm. The other is at midnight. The 9 pm ones were full and I couldn't book myself a seat so I booked one for one of the midnight shows. Does anyone know if the 9pm shows are also adult shows, or is that a family show? It looks like its full either way, but I am curious.

The comedy shows that you can book prior to your sailing are in the small comedy club and are adult content.

We just sailed Oasis in May and they had a preview show of the comedians on board on the first night, in the theater and the show was supposedly a family show. It was much cleaner than the shows in the comedy club, but more like PG-13 than G. They also had the adult comedy show, with the comedians from the comedy club, in the theater one of the last nights of the cruise , because they said so many missed the comedy club shows because of rescheduling of other shows. This was billed as adult only. We did not attend, so I have no idea if a 16 yr old would have been let in when accompanied by a parent. I do know at the preview, "family" comedy show, one of the comedians really targeted a young kid. They kept the jokes clean, but some kids might have issues being the subject of someones act.

ALL the shows offered in the Comedy Club are adult content. You have to be 18 to enter. I believe someone said a 17-year-old could enter with a parent; not sure about a 16-year-old. The shows I have seen are definitely adult in terms of material and language.

The 9-o'clock is usually repeated later. It's live comedy so material/jokes might be in a different order, but usually very much the same, with perhaps someone different in the audience being involved.

It's hard to get in without a reservation, but not impossible; varies nightly. Comedy Club is a small location. You can wait in line outside and if not full 10 minutes before the show they open up the seating to those in line. That's one place where you need to get there 10 minutes before the show for your reservation to be assured.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back from our cruise and thought I would pass some info along. I couldn't make my booked comedy show because the quest game show went past the scheduled time and the comedy doors were closed when i got out. They shut the doors and don't let anyone in after the show starts so if you have reservations or want to go don't show up late. On the last night of the cruise they had the comedy show in the opal theater. It was listed as adults only 18+. We had other stuff going on and I didn't go but I went by to see and there were kids in there watching the show. They didn't have anyone at the doors stopping kids from going in. The comedian was asking anyone if they saw the family comedy show. Which apparently I somehow missed???

They also had the love and marriage which was rated pg 13 and the quest game show which was listed as adult but not 18+. The comedy show was the only thing listed as 18+.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums