NCL Harvest Caye

CUontheC

We are sailing on the NCL Dawn in November. I just read on a board that they will be going to Harvest Caye. So I read a little about this place online. It looks nice but does it cost to use the beach chairs or is there an area where one can just go a relax without having to pay an additional charge. We have been on Celebrity and it stopped at Labadee Haiti and there we had a wonderful beach bbq and were able to hang out by the ocean and it was all included. Also we have been to another island when we were on Royal Caribbean and again we had a beach bbq and time to hang out and swim and enjoy the area for free. I am hoping this is the same on NCL. Does anyone have any specific info they can post?

Thank you!!

We are sailing on the NCL Dawn in November. I just read on a board that they will be going to Harvest Caye. So I read a little about this place online. It looks nice but does it cost to use the beach chairs or is there an area where one can just go a relax without having to pay an additional charge. We have been on Celebrity and it stopped at Labadee Haiti and there we had a wonderful beach bbq and were able to hang out by the ocean and it was all included. Also we have been to another island when we were on Royal Caribbean and again we had a beach bbq and time to hang out and swim and enjoy the area for free. I am hoping this is the same on NCL. Does anyone have any specific info they can post?

Thank you!!

The food is definitely not included, this has been stated by the CEO in press releases. I wouldn't be surprised, given the profit at all costs and customer satisfaction be damned tact that the company has taken of late if chairs are not free to rent.

The food is definitely not included, this has been stated by the CEO in press releases. I wouldn't be surprised, given the profit at all costs and customer satisfaction be damned tact that the company has taken of late if chairs are not free to rent.

after posting I tried to go through cruise critic to see what other have said...it was difficult because I had to go through a lot of pages of postings. But I see that this was supposed to open earlier this year and some were pretty disappointed that the opening was delayed. Yep from other things I read the food is not included nor are the beverages. So it is not like RC's private islands where food and beverages at a beach bbq are included. That would have been awesome if NCL did that.

I also read you can rent cabanas or beach villas. No cost of these was mentioned or how to reserve one. The villas hold ten people so I am guessing it is a hefty price and since it is only my husband and I we would not be able to afford one unless we went in with 8 others. And I am sure that will not happen.

I have the excursion credit of $50 per port and wondering if I can use this towards rentals or food at Harvest Caye?

I sooo hope they do not charge for beach chairs. I remember my husband and I about 15 years ago, going to Isla Mueres in Cancun. You took a ferry over. When we sat in some chairs to relax we had a guy come over and say "happy hour special" and in order to sit down anywhere on the island or use a hammock you had to buy drinks. We had no idea we would be charged just to sit in a chair. So we went in the water and walked the area a bit and went back on the ferry to our hotel. It was so not worth the cost of the ferry ride. I fear this may be the same and we will have to pay to use any of the chairs to relax in...hopefully someone out there has some info.

Have a great day!!

Mary

after posting I tried to go through cruise critic to see what other have said...it was difficult because I had to go through a lot of pages of postings. But I see that this was supposed to open earlier this year and some were pretty disappointed that the opening was delayed. Yep from other things I read the food is not included nor are the beverages. So it is not like RC's private islands where food and beverages at a beach bbq are included. That would have been awesome if NCL did that.

I also read you can rent cabanas or beach villas. No cost of these was mentioned or how to reserve one. The villas hold ten people so I am guessing it is a hefty price and since it is only my husband and I we would not be able to afford one unless we went in with 8 others. And I am sure that will not happen.

I have the excursion credit of $50 per port and wondering if I can use this towards rentals or food at Harvest Caye?

I sooo hope they do not charge for beach chairs. I remember my husband and I about 15 years ago, going to Isla Mueres in Cancun. You took a ferry over. When we sat in some chairs to relax we had a guy come over and say "happy hour special" and in order to sit down anywhere on the island or use a hammock you had to buy drinks. We had no idea we would be charged just to sit in a chair. So we went in the water and walked the area a bit and went back on the ferry to our hotel. It was so not worth the cost of the ferry ride. I fear this may be the same and we will have to pay to use any of the chairs to relax in...hopefully someone out there has some info.

Have a great day!!

Mary

Yeah, I hope not either, but NCL keeps finding new and creative things to charge for that other cruise lines provide for free so I wouldn't be surprised. Nobody is going to know a definitive answer on what's included and what's not until people start going there, because you can't rely on what NCL tells you.

Yeah, I hope not either, but NCL keeps finding new and creative things to charge for that other cruise lines provide for free so I wouldn't be surprised. Nobody is going to know a definitive answer on what's included and what's not until people start going there, because you can't rely on what NCL tells you.

I see people get upset on these boards if you criticize NCL but you are correct in seeing them charge for things that are free on other ships. Heck on the Escape you had to pay $2.50 for a cupcake...on recent trips aboard Princess and Celebrity that had a bakery and you could choose anything you wanted without a charge. Room service that is free on other ships has a charge on NCL. Also on the Escape we were lucky to have not been charged for Margaritaville but after our sailing they started charging even though they advertised it was included.

Anyway we are going to go and check it out and hopefully it will be a wonderful place.

I see people get upset on these boards if you criticize NCL but you are correct in seeing them charge for things that are free on other ships. Heck on the Escape you had to pay $2.50 for a cupcake...on recent trips aboard Princess and Celebrity that had a bakery and you could choose anything you wanted without a charge. Room service that is free on other ships has a charge on NCL. Also on the Escape we were lucky to have not been charged for Margaritaville but after our sailing they started charging even though they advertised it was included.

Anyway we are going to go and check it out and hopefully it will be a wonderful place.

Price out a Princess or Celebrity cruise to an equivalent NCL cruise and tell me where the value is. I can pick and choose what I will and will not pay extra for. I will still come out paying less out of pocket for an NCL experience than I would for many of the other lines.

Wait...So Harvest Caye will not be treated like Great Stirrup Cay? Meaning you have to purchase food and drink on their newest private island?

Not sure where Fido gets their information, but my understanding is that Harvest Cay will be similar to Great Stirrup Cay in that the basics are included but there will be available upcharge items just like every other lines private island.

The mistake here is comparing Harvest Caye to Great Stirrup Caye. Harvest Caye is more like a real port stop where you have several restaurants and bars to choose from. There is a pier there so you don't have to tender. It also includes a shopping center and nature type things like an aviary.

Basic things will be free. You will not have to pay for extra things if you don't want to. You can lay on the beach and simply walk back to the ship for lunch if you want. I think it looks like a great port stop.

https://www.ncl.com/press-releases/norwegian-cruise-line-reveals-harvest-caye-experiences

Wait...So Harvest Caye will not be treated like Great Stirrup Cay? Meaning you have to purchase food and drink on their newest private island?

That's correct. It is all a la carte for your convenience. Don't forget the 18 percent sales tax! I mean gratuity. I mean service charge.

That's correct. It is all a la carte for your convenience. Don't forget the 18 percent sales tax! I mean gratuity. I mean service charge.

No, it's not correct. You don't have to purchase a thing there, as mentioned above. The ship is a short walk away with included food. The only 18% surcharge will be on your large glass of whine.

First, it has be open on-time this Fall first ;)

The pioneers willl have to sail first and share their updates ... what's open & working, or not.

Tipping is not included, extra and at your discretion, entirely.

Watch for port charges and resort fees, as those a la carte bundle pricing could be next. Infrastructure development surcharge ... how does that sound. :D

Not sure where Fido gets their information, but my understanding is that Harvest Cay will be similar to Great Stirrup Cay in that the basics are included but there will be available upcharge items just like every other lines private island.

If you look at other threads on this topic there have been statements from the CEO to shareholders that all dining will be A La Carte.

No, it's not correct. You don't have to purchase a thing there, as mentioned above. The ship is a short walk away with included food. The only 18% surcharge will be on your large glass of whine.

What I posted is correct. Just because you can "walk back to the ship" doesn't change the fact that this is much different from GSC. GSC the food served on the island is included, Harvest Caye it will be a la Carte. You could always take a tender back to the ship and have lunch there from GSC also.

What I posted is correct. Just because you can "walk back to the ship" doesn't change the fact that this is much different from GSC. GSC the food served on the island is included, Harvest Caye it will be a la Carte. You could always take a tender back to the ship and have lunch there from GSC also.

Like was said above comparing the two locations is moot. Apples and oranges. Like you said, they are different. Harvest Caye gives you many additional choices. GSC food choices were minimal BBQ type stuff. HC will give you actual restaurant choices where you can eat in brand new air conditioned restaurants. Take advantage of it..or don't. No one is forced to pay one extra cent to enjoy it.

More choices = good thing.

People keep asking for new ports, new choices. They are getting it. I'm looking forward to it.

Edited by ColinIllinois

Like was said above comparing the two locations is moot. Apples and oranges. Like you said, they are different. Harvest Caye gives you many additional choices. GSC food choices were minimal BBQ type stuff. HC will give you actual restaurant choices where you can eat in brand new air conditioned restaurants. Take advantage of it..or don't. No one is forced to pay one extra cent to enjoy it.

People keep asking for new ports, new choices. They are getting it. I'm looking forward to it.

For me, I am trying to find out exactly what is included. I see you can rent villa's and such but is a lounge chair by the water included. I have read all the posts I can online and on the NCL info and no one seems to know.

I will be there in November and I also have the excursion credit and wondering if it can be used for things at HC.

It looks very nice....we shall see once we are there...if it is open by that time.

We are looking forward to this- No tendering! Beach access should just be a nice walk from the ship:D

As far as comparing it to GSC, isn't GSC closed and undergoing renovations? It's possible there will be additions there that are ala' carte options too.

For me, I am trying to find out exactly what is included. I see you can rent villa's and such but is a lounge chair by the water included. I have read all the posts I can online and on the NCL info and no one seems to know.

I will be there in November and I also have the excursion credit and wondering if it can be used for things at HC.

It looks very nice....we shall see once we are there...if it is open by that time.

Yes, because you book the clam shells and cabanas at the ShorEx desk on board. However, this policy might change one Great Harvest Caye is actually open.

Yes, because you book the clam shells and cabanas at the ShorEx desk on board. However, this policy might change one Great Harvest Caye is actually open.

Hi,

Where did you find the info that shows booking the villa's at the excursion deck on board? I couldn't find that info. I wonder if they will let us use our $50 that we have per port for the rental.

Harvest Caye is not exactly a private island like GSC is. it is a joint venture with the Belizean government, and due to that, no, the restaurants and drinks on the island will not be included.

as far as I know, no other cruise line has a similar joint venture port

OMG! Just stop complaining about something you haven't bothered to look into or understand.

Harvest Caye is not an NCL "Private Island". It is an alternative port for Belize. You'll still get Eco Shore Excursions and what not.

OMG! Just stop complaining about something you haven't bothered to look into or understand.

Harvest Caye is not an NCL "Private Island". It is an alternative port for Belize. You'll still get Eco Shore Excursions and what not.

Why is it that there is always a few nasty people on these boards. Asking a question is not complaining. I have been on many NCL cruises and have been on this very same one but now I see it is going to a place, Harvest Caye, that is new to me. And trying to get info is a good idea. I would ask that if you want to complain about people start your own post ok. And you said I have NOT bothered to look in or understand....well I have looked and I do understand as much as is written. I am glad you are such a genius. I know you won't listen and I will bet on it that after I tell you to stay off my post with your nasty comments you will be certain to make another nasty comment. I won't respond to any more as you have no idea who I am, what I do, what my income is, what my job is. All you know is that you are the one who wants to complain...complain about others taking the time to ask a question. I see your type all over the cruise critic. I am sorry your life it that sad. I will pray for you in hopes that God makes you a happier person.

Sail on......

Harvest Caye is not exactly a private island like GSC is. it is a joint venture with the Belizean government, and due to that, no, the restaurants and drinks on the island will not be included.

as far as I know, no other cruise line has a similar joint venture port

It should be interesting...and it looks really pretty from the pictures. It certainly will be a new venture. And I hope it is open when we travel in November.

I said I would not comment after you make another nasty remark...but just for the heck of it I went to look at all your public posts in the last few days. I find it odd to see that you are a GENIUS as you have something to say on so many other posts...and you criticize anyone that has anything negative to say about NCL. Aha...I know it now you work for NCL and have been hired to comb the boards and to try to shut down and humiliate people that question NCL. If you don't work for them then you certainly have a lot of time on your hands to comment on post after post with such knowledge. Maybe you should take a cruise and relax...I am sure you get a great discount.