what clothes to take?? Southern Mediterranean in February/March

beema

My husband and I are sailing on Viking Star Secrets of Southern Mediterranean from Feb. 26th to Mar. 5th, 2017. I understand daytime temps are generally in mid 60s F. I would like some advice from those who have been on Viking Star in western Mediterranean at this time of year. Both for excursions and on the ship. What will we need to enjoy our veranda? Coats or layers??? Thanks for your help.

The temperature you indicate is about right but you could look on Weather Underground and after entering the location you are interested in the page will show current temps but also a tab for history, click on it and enter your day when there but either this or a previous year.

Edited by Jack Staff

It can be cold at night; although the day time temps can be quite warm, it sometimes takes a few hours for it to warm up enough to go coatless.

We lived in Malaga, southern Spain for a few weeks this Feb/March, and found that it could be mid-day before it was warm enough to shed some of our layers. The movement of the ship will also create a wind, so yes, for balcony sitting, layers are necessary.

Thanks for the info. Jo, so you think a light all-weather jacket, a few heavy cardigans, and a few light cardigans will be sufficient? Your foray into Spain sounds splendid. Was there much wind or rain at the time? We will be in Barcelona for 3 days at end of cruise. If you get a chance, I would love to have your recommendations about must- sees and restaurants.

Definitely an all-weather jacket, especially in Barcelona... we've stayed there for a few nights one Feb, and there's always a chance of rain.

I see that you're from a hot USA State, so I don't know what to compare it with... the Med is beginning to wake up to spring, so the sun is getting stronger, but it isn't what you would call hot... to me, from the colder UK it's really pleasant, but only if you have the right clothes!

We were dog-sitting for my friend in Malaga, and we had to have the wood burning stove lit as soon as it grew dark; when we released the dog around 7.30am, daylight was just dawning and I would be wearing a top, a cardigan and my jacket- sometimes even a fleece! By coffee time the jacket would go, then the cardigan, and lunch had to be eaten outside in the shade... :rolleyes:

Although Malaga is in the south of Spain, there was still snow on the mountains and, yes, some days were very windy and we'd notice that there was more snow on the tops overnight.

As I say, to us it was perfect, coming from an icy land, but with the layers you mention you should be fine. xx :cool:

Thanks Jo. Yes it is hot in Arkansas, but we live in the Ozark mountains and our Temps are always almost 10 degrees lower. I wish we could make some overseas friends to house or pet sit for, and vice versa. We have 4 dogs which I need to make arrangements for. It can ice and snow here when we are leaving in February...this wide variety of clothing is driving me crazy!

Hi again... we once went on a Feb cruise on NCL Jade round the Med... it was snowing so much at home that we had to wear our warmest track suits for the train, and the airport was shut for a while to clear the snow. When we landed in Barcelona, it felt so warm... but we still needed our jackets.

As the cruise went on, we'd be in T shirts one day, then hunting out our travelling track suits- especially as it snowed in Turkey!

Our final port of call was Malta, where it was warm and sunny, so a whole cruise load of people strolled around in shorts... and the local people were all in beautiful suits and warm coats, as it was still a little chilly for them.

So keep your travelling clothes with you- just in case! :D xx

Hey Navy: Please tell me that your Mediterranean experience was not in the southern Mediterranean. Now you have me really worried! Also we are leaving Rome at the very end of Feb. Most of cruise will be in first week in March. Jo says weather is nice...

In the southern Med you are more likely to have nicer weather, although you can't discount the occasional cold snap.

I spent two weeks in Naples in late February a couple of years ago and most of the time it was warmer than I'd expected, with maybe a couple of cooler, rainy days tossed in. Rome should be about the same. Islands further south should be a bit warmer, all things considered.

It could be coolish and windy when you are at sea though.

Thanks Cruisemom. When you say "warmer", are you wearing shirtsleeves or sweater or jacket?

Warmer = maybe start out the morning with a light jacket or sweater over a 3/4 sleeve or long-sleeve shirt, then as the day progresses, I might take the jacket/sweater off and be very comfortable, even a little warm in full sun.

Edited to add: At the time of year you'll be cruising, layers are truly your friend. The temperatures could vary by 30 degrees from the morning low to the afternoon high.

I suggest mainly 3/4 sleeve tees, a lightweight fleece jacket, and a lightweight rain jacket that is fully waterproof and will fit on top of the fleece and shirt. With all three together you are probably warm enough in all but the coldest snap there, and either top piece can be used as needed for rain or to take the chill off. Obviously a cardigan could take the place of the fleece (but doesn't dry as quickly if you're caught in a sudden shower....)

Edited by cruisemom42

Bring at least two pairs of shoes that are very comfortable for walking. (One pair may get drenched in a downpour, or something else may happen to them....)

As to styles, boots have been everywhere in winter the last few seasons in Europe. So if you have boots and want to take them, I'm sure they will be great.

I'd probably say no to sandals EXCEPT if you are visiting a beach resort (e.g., Mykonos) on a warmish day.