Disembarkation Woes

JudithLynne

What I don't understand is why some people can go the entire cruise without a wheelchair but all of a sudden they need one to disembark? What am I missing?

You are missing the fact that some people only need wheel chair assistance to get on and off the ship due to severe mobility issues. They are unable to stand, climb stairs, or walk any distance. While on the ship they may be able to get around with a cane, and/or a rollator. Don't be so judgemental, and count yourself lucky. Some day it may be you who needs assistance.......

JudithLynne and Dave,

Thanks for your replies. I don't know how I missed seeing this information on the HAL website. What a wonderful service. I will sign up for it.

I'm assuming the luggage tags provided by the ship, for pick up the night before disembarkation, will be different from others.

Am I correct?

Yes, the luggage tags will be different. Once the luggage gets to your airline at SeaTac, they will have your airline tags attached. You should get boarding passes the night before disembarkation. We have used this program many times on many cruise ships/lines and it has never failed us.

Yes, the luggage tags will be different. Once the luggage gets to your airline at SeaTac, they will have your airline tags attached. You should get boarding passes the night before disembarkation. We have used this program many times on many cruise ships/lines and it has never failed us.

Do you have to be the first off to use this service? Our flight leaving Seattle is not until 12:45 p.m.

Do you have to be the first off to use this service? Our flight leaving Seattle is not until 12:45 p.m.

I don't think you have to go off early, but you may if you wish to. They mention this as a plus because you don't need to wait for luggage to be sorted in the terminal. Your luggage will be in a separate stream from the bags that have to be claimed in the terminal.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

I have not used the service, but it is my understanding that you have to be off the ship in one of the first off the ship as they need you to go through Customs. Perhaps someone else who has done this can say for sure.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I had to wait for these people to get off the ship before my color was called and I was quite confused as to why (since I had priority), but then someone in this group told me that they had to get off early.

Edited by DaveOKC

I have not used the service, but it is my understanding that you have to be off the ship in one of the first off the ship as they need you to go through Customs. Perhaps someone else who has done this can say for sure.

That's how it worked when I did Luggage Direct.

The first group called to disembark was the self-disembark people. The next group was Luggage Direct, followed by the first color/number group.

My understanding for why Luggage Direct people have to leave early, and as a group, is because they need to be available in case Customs wants to pull one of their bags; they have to be with the bag when it is inspected. If they go off early, they will be easier to pull out of line, and then the luggage can be sent in a timely fashion.

That's how it worked when I did Luggage Direct.

The first group called to disembark was the self-disembark people. The next group was Luggage Direct, followed by the first color/number group.

My understanding for why Luggage Direct people have to leave early, and as a group, is because they need to be available in case Customs wants to pull one of their bags; they have to be with the bag when it is inspected. If they go off early, they will be easier to pull out of line, and then the luggage can be sent in a timely fashion.

That makes sense. So you can't use this service to sneak something home?

Has anyone seen a suitcase opened in the terminal? I can remember seeing it back when we first cruised out of NYC in the late 70s. There were tables by the customs desks where you could put your bag so they could look at it. I don't think I've seen sniffer dogs at Arrivals in a long time, either.

Has anyone seen a suitcase opened in the terminal? I can remember seeing it back when we first cruised out of NYC in the late 70s. There were tables by the customs desks where you could put your bag so they could look at it. I don't think I've seen sniffer dogs at Arrivals in a long time, either.

Can't say that I've seen it, but then I haven't been looking for it, either. Haven't seen it in airports, now that you mention it.

Maybe it's all done in a back room now?

You get off 2nd. 1st is self assist then luggage direct. They will give you a "luggage direct" pass that you show at the gangway to get off.

On all of my cruise's ending in Seattle on 6 different HAL ships your luggage tags are colored then on the morning of departure on the TV it will tell you what time your color is ready for departure. The one and only announcement was the

"Ship was clear for self assist".

I think some passenger with wheel chairs & walkers get confused and think they need to arrive early for their departure because they need extra time. This just created a bottle neck when staff tells them it's not their color please step aside.

You are missing the fact that some people only need wheel chair assistance to get on and off the ship due to severe mobility issues. They are unable to stand, climb stairs, or walk any distance. While on the ship they may be able to get around with a cane, and/or a rollator. Don't be so judgemental, and count yourself lucky. Some day it may be you who needs assistance.......

Yes, thank you. You are the tenth person to tell me this. Please read prior posts before repeating what everyone else already said.

That makes sense. So you can't use this service to sneak something home?

Oh yes indeed. Our last Hawaii/Tahiti cruise in fact. We disembarked and two of our suitcases were missing. Turned out customs had them because the dogs didn't like the way they smelled. There is a small room off the side of where the custom agents check passports. They emptied everything out of our luggage. Took out all the clothes and went through every pocket. Pulled out the lining and checked the aluminum posts inside the luggage. It took over three hours in San Diego. :eek:

After all that, the customs agent explained that putting dryer sheets in your luggage to keep them smelling sweet is something drug dealers may do to cover up odors so dogs are trained to spot them. :o

Customs just left all our once carefully folded clothes in a huge pile and said " thanks you can go now". Needless to say we were not happy campers. :mad: We had run into this kind of problem before due to my late husbands long hair and beard but never to this level. :eek:

You get off 2nd. 1st is self assist then luggage direct. They will give you a "luggage direct" pass that you show at the gangway to get off.

On all of my cruise's ending in Seattle on 6 different HAL ships your luggage tags are colored then on the morning of departure on the TV it will tell you what time your color is ready for departure. The one and only announcement was the

"Ship was clear for self assist".

I think some passenger with wheel chairs & walkers get confused and think they need to arrive early for their departure because they need extra time. This just created a bottle neck when staff tells them it's not their color please step aside.

We will be using "luggage direct" for the first time on our Alaska cruise. Thanks for posting this information. Edited by JimAOk1945

We have found that the board passes provided by Luggage Direct are hit or miss when it come to being scanned or including KTN data. Best to pick them up at the airport or have them on your phone,

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I guess we are lucky. We just about always do self disembark because we only have one carry on roller bag each.

Never had an real issue- just some annoyances. Sure there are lots of not too smart people who seem to want to line up two hours before their group is called but some people always seem to do that. We typically have to skate around them.

The other problem folks are those who want to self disembark but have so much luggage, and heavy luggage, that they can hardly carry it and end up blocking those behind them.

Oh yes indeed. Our last Hawaii/Tahiti cruise in fact. We disembarked and two of our suitcases were missing. Turned out customs had them because the dogs didn't like the way they smelled. There is a small room off the side of where the custom agents check passports. They emptied everything out of our luggage. Took out all the clothes and went through every pocket. Pulled out the lining and checked the aluminum posts inside the luggage. It took over three hours in San Diego. :eek:

After all that, the customs agent explained that putting dryer sheets in your luggage to keep them smelling sweet is something drug dealers may do to cover up odors so dogs are trained to spot them. :o

Customs just left all our once carefully folded clothes in a huge pile and said " thanks you can go now". Needless to say we were not happy campers. :mad: We had run into this kind of problem before due to my late husbands long hair and beard but never to this level. :eek:

Yikes, what a nightmare! They make a mess and say you can go now--but you can't go until you spend the next 15 (or more) minutes shoving your clothes back into the suitcase!

A year ago coming into Brooklyn from QM2, I saw the officers with a sniffer dog near the Customs/Immigration desks. A few people were disembarking with their dogs (QM2 has a kennel), and the sniffer dog was checking out the other dogs more than the suitcases. I thought, hey, send a friend ahead of you with a dog, and maybe the sniffer dog will be too distracted to notice the smell of your suitcase! NOT making a recommendation here, just a random thought. ;)

Wow, what a story... Thanks for the heads up.. I bolded your sentence about the dryer sheets..Had no idea.. Once in a while I find used dryer sheets in my underwear.. I'll be sure always to check for even the used ones when packing next time..

So nice to see you back Trish & so sorry to hear about your Husband.. Hope you are doing OK..

I guess we are lucky. We just about always do self disembark because we only have one carry on roller bag each.

Never had an real issue- just some annoyances. Sure there are lots of not too smart people who seem to want to line up two hours before their group is called but some people always seem to do that. We typically have to skate around them.

The other problem folks are those who want to self disembark but have so much luggage, and heavy luggage, that they can hardly carry it and end up blocking those behind them.

I love to watch those self disembark people trying to handle three suitcases off the ship! Its silly how some folks think they can do this without causing problems for everyone else.

Totally off subject but when we were on a Crystal cruise in Panama last year the first port we stopped at had a couple of sniffer dogs! It was the suitcases awaiting to go on board and the passngers had cleared through. It was a travel agent group just to be on board for a few days.

The 2 dogs and there handlers took this job very seriously! The dogs were eyeing the suitcases from the parking lot and could hardly stand waiting to get over there and work! Watching them was interesting and you could never steer them from their purpose! They spent a good half hour going thru each and every suitcase but to these poor dogs disappointment.....nothing! They both walked away with their tails dragging on the ground as they went back to their vans. If I didn't know any better I believe those canines were crying. I felt terrible that they found nothing:(Such is the life of a sniffer dog.

I love to watch those self disembark people trying to handle three suitcases off the ship! Its silly how some folks think they can do this without causing problems for everyone else.

Once again this thread is confusing my question, are you talking about self disembark where you carry your own luggage OR self assist where you require a wheelchair and assistance to disembark. I have an very early flight and we overnight in BCN before disembarking. Someone told me to check post 30, which DID NOT answer the question. So here it is again, SIMPLE question

When I carry my own luggage off, can I disembark before everyone else.

PS We can handle our TWO suitcases

Once again this thread is confusing my question, are you talking about self disembark where you carry your own luggage OR self assist where you require a wheelchair and assistance to disembark. I have an very early flight and we overnight in BCN before disembarking. Someone told me to check post 30, which DID NOT answer the question. So here it is again, SIMPLE question

Apparently some posts have been deleted, so what was post #30 (and yes, it really was #30) is now 28, just one post between your question and the answer someone told you to read. The thread originally was about self disembarkation, but questions about wheelchairs were also asked.

So here's another attempt at answering.

If you can carry your own luggage off, you may disembark in the first group, which will be quite early. I can't swear you'll be ahead of EVERYONE else (as in first in line), but the self disembarking group is ahead of the other groups. HOWEVER, as has been discussed in several posts, you must sign up for this in advance. You can't just decide on disembarkation morning that you want to do self disembarkation.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

Yes 1st off the ship is self assist.

Self assist disembarkation requires that one signs up for it. It is one of the choices on the disembarkation paper work that you will receive within the first few days of the cruise. If granted, you will receive a card that reads EXPEDITE which you will need to present to the staff person at the exit.

If you are asking about the luggage direct then yes, I think you do have to be in one of the first groups off. I think they have to have the passengers there before the luggage is taken in case Customs needs to do an inspection. At least that was the rule last time I used it.

And to whoever mentioned Disney being the best....spot on. They are the best with a lot of things, getting people off included.

Edited by alwaysfrantic