Disembarkation Woes

JudithLynne

I just need to ventilate…..

We just completed our 12th Alaska cruise on the Maasdam. It was our 39th cruise and it was just wonderful; so much so that we are booked on the same cruise next July on the Amsterdam. We had not been on a HAL cruise in 8 years because of the smoking policy. We are balcony people, but an OV cabin is sufficient for us on an Alaskan cruise so we booked a center OV on Main Deck. We enjoyed our cabin very much.

We received our disembarkation information the day before arriving back in Seattle. We were impressed that we would stay in our cabin until our time to depart was announced. We were also grateful that we could have room service breakfast that morning, thank you HAL.

We were in the first, and I believe only, self assist group, the first to get off. When our group was announced, we proceeded from our cabin to the end of our hallway with all of our luggage in tow to access the exit door. We joined the end of the line behind four other people who were together. They did not engage us or make eye contact.

We could see people up ahead from another line crossing the end of our hallway to the exit but our line did not move. After a long wait, I finally raised my voice from down the hall and asked the staff person at the end of the hall if he could kindly work our line in as we had an early flight. He smiled and politely signaled yes he would and, thankfully, about a minute later he signaled our line to move. NOTHING HAPPENED. My DH finally asked those ahead of us to please proceed and they told us “we are not with this group, work your way around us.” The narrow hall made that awkward but we carefully got by. As I passed the front person, the group’s spokes person, I asked “didn’t you understand the instructions that you are not to proceed to this area until your group is called?” Response: “You worry about yourself and I will worry about me.”

I am sure I am not the only, or the last, person to experience this, but it was extremely frustrating, especially after a flawless cruise.

Thank you all for listening.

Sorry that your disembarkation was a mess. We have run into a similar problem on our last couple of cruises. I require wheelchair assistance and am told where and at what time to report for a wheelchair. When we got there, there were no seats for us as many others decided to sit in the Pinnacle Bar to await for the color and number to be called. Those of us who needed to wait our turns for the wheelchairs had no place to sit.

Glad you had a wonderful Alaskan cruise. We did that 14 day cruise twice and loved it -- on the Amsterdam -- which you will be on next year.

Sorry to hear your tale, but I fully understand. I've had similar hang-ups.

A few years ago I needed to get to the wheelchair assembly area from right next to the disembarkation point. I knew enough to head out long before I needed to---long before the self-embarkation people were even called. There was such a jam up of people anticipating clearance, trying to be first to get off, that I couldn't get near the elevator.

It's hard enough when you need assistance to get to the assistance area (and don't have it), but the "Me! Me! Me!" people and their selfish attitude make it all the harder.

HAL should work harder to keep the early birds away from that area.

Leaving the Nieuw Amsterdam on Saturday we had to work our way around many people in hallways and public spaces that were waiting for their groups to be called. There are too many people in this world who think rules do not apply to them!

Where we were lucky was that the disembarkation exit was on Main Deck where our cabin was, we did not have to depend on an elevator. All we had to do was walk down the hall, make a right turn and with about 6 steps we would be off the ship. We did not anticipate being blocked. I agree that HAL needs to do a better job monitoring the disembarkation process. I am especially sorry to see that those of you that are orthopedically challenged have obstacles created by the "rules don't apply to me" people.

I understand your frustration with your disembarkation. Following directions is an art that some of the members of our species failed to acquire. Maybe a genetic flaw? Who knows?

The absolute worst experience at disembarkation I have had was when the elevator arrived at the Main Deck Foyer and it was absolutely jammed with people. Those of us on the elevator could not even get off! And many of us on that elevator were booked on the transfer to the airport and our group had been called. Fortunately, the transfer vehicle waited until we were all aboard.

I agree that some people just do not get it. Not following the clear directions creates problems for everyone, including them!

One thing that HAL could clarify on disembarkation is how the color system (after the self-disembark people) works. People who are 4/5 star or in a Neptune/Pinnacle suite think that their "color" will be called first and thus they proceed to the gangway when they hear the first color called, even though it is not theirs. Of course this creates a bit of a problem as the system is not ready for them but they insist on getting off (normally their luggage is not ready anyway).

What happens is that the first color called is for the people using the priority luggage program (whatever it is called). These people do not gather their luggage but rather proceed to Customs and onto their buses. Not all ports off this service by the way.

So, a word to the wise, wait for your color to be called, even if you are a 4/5 Star or Neptune passenger. Note - I did the above last cruise and learned my lesson!

The hurry up and wait in a line up crowd never cease to amaze me. I have come to accept that they are everywhere. I just wish HAL would do a better job of not permitting it to happen. Send people back or even off the deck if they have to in order to keep the hallway clear for those who are suppose to be there.

Sorry that your disembarkation was a mess. We have run into a similar problem on our last couple of cruises. I require wheelchair assistance and am told where and at what time to report for a wheelchair. When we got there, there were no seats for us as many others decided to sit in the Pinnacle Bar to await for the color and number to be called. Those of us who needed to wait our turns for the wheelchairs had no place to sit.

Glad you had a wonderful Alaskan cruise. We did that 14 day cruise twice and loved it -- on the Amsterdam -- which you will be on next year.

very same thing happened to us as My companion needed a wheelchair to get off the ship, Went to the areaWe were to to assemble but no wheelchair was present. After speaking to several Hal employees a wheelchair was provided, They problem became worse as they took us directly to customs without our luggage and We had to wait (in the heat) until all passengers had cleared customs. We were quite put off because of this error on Hals part and could not re-enter so all that was left was to wait. No reaction from Hals crew. Just beware this may happen to you:eek:

It's not just HAL (we've seen the same nonsense on Princess & Celebrity), and it's not just cruise ships - look at the boarding gates in airplane terminals!

Absolutely and you can...

Add Oceania to the list :(. Never saw such a zoo with so little staff in my all of my cruising history.

We were on the same cruise and agree that the entire self disembarkation was a nightmare. I was politely trying to offer some assistant to a senior citizen and she almost bit my head off for politely asking her if she was in self disembarkation. I cannot believe how rude some people are!!! Just taught me not to offer assistance the next time and let people stand in the wrong line.

I do not see the attraction in the self disembarkation, unless your only/best flight connection is early. It seems a lot of people do it just to be in the first group off. OK, wanting to get ON first I understand. But why rush to get off unless you really need to? If you're wiling to wait, someone else will haul your heavy bags off the ship. That's a trade I'm willing to make. In all of our cruises, we've done self disembarkation once, and that was to make a connection.

What I really don't get are the people who are not doing self disembarkation but stand there anyway, like the ones OP saw. Don't they know that there's a time lag between calling the self disembarkation group and the next group? On some ships, it can be as much as an hour. Geez, people, go sit somewhere!

On Oosterdam list winter, they had port staff at the elevators deflecting people to lounges. IIRC, our disembarkation info said which lounge to go to--maybe that was just for NS pax? Anyway, we went down pretty early so that our stewards would have more time to clean the cabin. As soon as we stepped off the elevator, a woman stopped us and asked what our tag color/number was. She was directing people who had been called to the gangway line, and sending other people to waiting areas. She seemed braced for an argument, so I said that we knew we hadn't been called yet, but were going to wait in the Culinary Center. Ah, when we didn't put up a fight she very nicely sent us on a specific route controlled by rope lines. When we got there, we found seats and settled in to wait. I noticed that the most convenient route out to the gangway was monitored by another port person, and you couldn't sneak out the way we came in because of the rope line (which would take you back to the elevator monitor).

It didn't take a lot of staff, just a few who were willing to take control of the situation.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

Interesting thread. Is the wheelchair meeting point almost always in the vicinity of the PG? I know there isn't a PG Bar on some ships. I would certainly give up my seat if someone required it, that's only common courtesy. But then so is signalling a turn or a lane change when one is driving and that seems to have gone by the wayside, too.

We tend to request late disembarkation and go to the Explorations Cafe (to work on the jigsaw puzzle to the very end!) until our colour/number is called. We've also gone to the Lido Pool area simply to ensure that we get an elevator since they get full on the way down. We try to stay out of the crew's way so that they can ready the ship for the next cruise.

very same thing happened to us as My companion needed a wheelchair to get off the ship, Went to the areaWe were to to assemble but no wheelchair was present. After speaking to several Hal employees a wheelchair was provided, They problem became worse as they took us directly to customs without our luggage and We had to wait (in the heat) until all passengers had cleared customs. We were quite put off because of this error on Hals part and could not re-enter so all that was left was to wait. No reaction from Hals crew. Just beware this may happen to you:eek:

I hate it this happened to you. On all of our cruises since DH has needed wheelchair assistance we've been able to grab a porter to bring the luggage while the chair pusher follows him thru the wheelchair customs line. If it happens again - insist to your pusher you need to get your luggage and wave down a porter.:) My guess is the pusher wasn't given good directions on what to do

What I don't understand is why some people can go the entire cruise without a wheelchair but all of a sudden they need one to disembark? What am I missing?

What I don't understand is why some people can go the entire cruise without a wheelchair but all of a sudden they need one to disembark? What am I missing?

These must be the same people who need assistance to get on the airplane early (especially on Southwest Airlines) and during the flight are "cured" and do not need to have help at the end of the flight.

People do not read about or listen to announcements. They think they are the only ones on board. (includes Muster drill). They figure that they are only one person and they won't take up much room. It is the Me, Me, Me syndrome!

(also they tend to be lounge chairs hogs who think they have a personal lounger.)

I'll use my mom as an example. She has knee and hip problems. She can move around on the ship at her own pace. No one is rushing her and she can plan her walking and give herself extra time to get to and from. When it comes to embarking and disembarking she needs the extra help because the groups of people tend to push and rush and she becomes unstable. She is not dishonest and she is not trying to get to the front of the line. It is not all of a sudden. It's that she needs help because of how rushed everything is coming and going and how pushy people can be coming and going.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Exactly the same thing with tendering. Lots of people making their way down to the loading area well in advance of their turn, making it difficult for those who have been called to make it through.

For disembarkation, we always try to be in the last group to be called, and even then we take our time. There's always a line, but by then it's far shorter and we've enjoyed a relaxed morning.

We are usually the last of our planes too, relaxing comfortably while others scrum. We still make it to the luggage carousel before our bags arrive. ;)

These must be the same people who need assistance to get on the airplane early (especially on Southwest Airlines) and during the flight are "cured" and do not need to have help at the end of the flight.

Wow :eek: I hope you never suffer from a invisible illness. Or a recurring/remitting illness. Or just unpredictable intractable pain....

Wow :eek: I hope you never suffer from a invisible illness. Or a recurring/remitting illness. Or just unpredictable intractable pain....

Exactly. I have met several CC members that could manage on the ship but could not handle the long walk down the gangway and to the terminal and used a wheel chair to embark and disembark. They didn't do I it to be first. They did it because they NEEDED it.

Exactly. I have met several CC members that could manage on the ship but could not handle the long walk down the gangway and to the terminal and used a wheel chair to embark and disembark. They didn't do I it to be first. They did it because they NEEDED it.

I have experienced the seemingly-endless wait for wheelchair assistance. In no way is it any kind of "I am special so need to be -first-" experience.

Back to the topic. OP, there seem to always be people who can't or won't follow instructions, or feel that the rules apply to everyone except them. I'm sorry it was so difficult for you to disembark.