Anthem dining room dress code

We will be sailing on the Anthem for the first time in Jan. & were told that the men must wear a jacket while in the Grande. We got off the Oasis last month & while jackets were supposed to e required, many did not follow the code. Is it just as relaxed on the Anthem?:confused:

We will be sailing on the Anthem for the first time in Jan. & were told that the men must wear a jacket while in the Grande. We got off the Oasis last month & while jackets were supposed to e required, many did not follow the code. Is it just as relaxed on the Anthem?:confused:

Except on the first and last night, they require a jacket. They will give you a jacket as you enter if you don't have one.

The Grande is the only formal dining room on the ship. I've seen men turned away if they run out of jackets.

I've seen this too. We avoided the jacket requirement by reserving Grande for the first and the last night.

We also saw people turned away from every restaurant for wearing shorts to dinner.

Just wear what you like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grande is the ONLY venue on the ENTIRE ship that requires one to dress up. Please obey the rules. You do not have to go to the Grande, so if you don't want to dress up please don't go. There are several other free sit-down dining rooms on Anthem that are casual.

Formal nights are close to dead on every other ship because there's only one dining room, but it is disgraceful that people still try to break the rules on Anthem, where there are several dining rooms with only one being formal.

What happened to having some class?

:mad:

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Grande is the ONLY venue on the ENTIRE ship that requires one to dress up. Please obey the rules. You do not have to go to the Grande, so if you don't want to dress up please don't go. There are several other free sit-down dining rooms on Anthem that are casual.

Formal nights are close to dead on every other ship because there's only one dining room, but it is disgraceful that people still try to break the rules on Anthem, where there are several dining rooms with only one being formal.

What happened to having some class?

:mad:

Like.....Plus one

BTW most of us think Pencil is 12 and playing grown-up, and a bad one at that!

If you don't mind getting turned away.

It's really not that far fetched of a statement.

Fortunately the night we went to Grande everyone appeared to follow dress code. Good environment.

However all of the other venues no dress code was enforced for dinner. I ate at Chic one night next to a family with swim trunks/t-shirt, shorts and tank top for a guy, bootie shorts on a girl. All 4 sat at table watching videos on phone with volume on.

Jeans, shorts, flip flops were common place. I like the new format of choosing ultra formal, and more relaxed at the other venues but they are letting it go too far.

We ate in the Grand 2x and dressed appropriately both times. However, those seated next to us were wearing tee shirts and shorts. We questioned our waiter who told us they can't do anything about it. On the first and last night no dress code is enforced.

It's really not that far fetched of a statement.

Fortunately the night we went to Grande everyone appeared to follow dress code. Good environment.

However all of the other venues no dress code was enforced for dinner. I ate at Chic one night next to a family with swim trunks/t-shirt, shorts and tank top for a guy, bootie shorts on a girl. All 4 sat at table watching videos on phone with volume on.

Jeans, shorts, flip flops were common place. I like the new format of choosing ultra formal, and more relaxed at the other venues but they are letting it go too far.

I like the new format with a Formal Restaurant as a choice. This was a big issue a few years ago with the "non-formal" group suggesting this exact thing. May be why it was done. But it didn't take more than the first sailing of Quantum for the "it's my vacation and I should be allowed to dress as I want and I want to not dress up and eat in Grande" posts to begin. Got what they begged for and still not good enough.

As for people not meeting the dress requirements, it's tough for the crew. Their jobs depend on satisfaction surveys. Their tips depend on happy passengers. Not fair that they are put in this position. People blame the company, but really it's the selfish people who refuse to adhere to the dress codes. Speeders on the freeway aren't the fault of the Highway Patrol, but the fault of those who choose to break the law. Sure, it'd be nice if RCCL turned people away, and sometimes they do. The result is those people whining about being turned away here on CC. But if people respected the cruise line then there would be no need to turn people away, and there'd be no discussion on this.

So, that's my opinion. Flame me, don't flame me, don't care. It's only my opinion.

I've seen this too. We avoided the jacket requirement by reserving Grande for the first and the last night.

We also saw people turned away from every restaurant for wearing shorts to dinner.

Just got off Oasis two weeks ago. Representatives from the Solarium Bistro and Chops were walking through the Windjammer offering reduced fees on cover charges. When I informed them I did not pack long pants (I didn't), I was told that bermuda-type shorts were fine. So when making reservations on-board just tell them "you would love to dine in the restaurant but unfortunately I only packed shorts" - they'll let you in with no problem.

That being said, If I had made reservations for specialty restaurants prior to boarding, I would have brought a pair of Dockers or jeans.

I like the new format with a Formal Restaurant as a choice. This was a big issue a few years ago with the "non-formal" group suggesting this exact thing. May be why it was done. But it didn't take more than the first sailing of Quantum for the "it's my vacation and I should be allowed to dress as I want and I want to not dress up and eat in Grande" posts to begin. Got what they begged for and still not good enough.

As for people not meeting the dress requirements, it's tough for the crew. Their jobs depend on satisfaction surveys. Their tips depend on happy passengers. Not fair that they are put in this position. People blame the company, but really it's the selfish people who refuse to adhere to the dress codes. Speeders on the freeway aren't the fault of the Highway Patrol, but the fault of those who choose to break the law. Sure, it'd be nice if RCCL turned people away, and sometimes they do. The result is those people whining about being turned away here on CC. But if people respected the cruise line then there would be no need to turn people away, and there'd be no discussion on this.

So, that's my opinion. Flame me, don't flame me, don't care. It's only my opinion.

Agree 100%. Although I wish Royal would enforce the dress code more harshly at the Grande, I understand why it is hard.

Just got off Oasis two weeks ago. Representatives from the Solarium Bistro and Chops were walking through the Windjammer offering reduced fees on cover charges. When I informed them I did not pack long pants (I didn't), I was told that bermuda-type shorts were fine. So when making reservations on-board just tell them "you would love to dine in the restaurant but unfortunately I only packed shorts" - they'll let you in with no problem.

That being said, If I had made reservations for specialty restaurants prior to boarding, I would have brought a pair of Dockers or jeans.

That doesn't really relate to this discussion. Specialty restaurants do not require formal dress and are not formal restaurants - smart causal works fine. The Grande on the other hand is the ONE designated formal venue on the entire ship. It is rude, selfish, and classless to the other diners to attempt to enter in less than a jacket.

Stop trying to get around the rules!!!!!

Royal does say no shorts in any venue but the Windjammer.

As usual , they are not consistant .

I find it hard to understand why a guy would not even pack a pair of dockers for dining on a cruise. :eek:

Since you asked...

My wife and I have long ago foregone the "elegance" of the MDR is favor of the Windjammer - same food without the pretension. However, if RCL permits me to wear shorts while dining in a specialty restaurant, I will be all means do so. Really, who wouldn't?

Disney has allowed shorts in their "Signature" restaurants for years. They do, however, reserve one restaurant that is strictly formal - RCL is attempting to do the same with The Grande. In my opinion, that's a reasonable compromise that all passengers should support.

RCL is finally beginning to understand their clientele. There is a segment of clients that do not want to dress up for what is, in reality, mass-produced food served on white tablecloths. As a result, they head to the Windjammer or seek other options.

One other point: Ask your MDR server if you can wear shorts at dinner. I think you already know the answer. In addition, my concierge allowed shorts during cocktail hour - except, of course, on formal night. Fair enough.

It is interesting that they will "bend the rules" for specialty restaurants. I wonder if that has anything to do with maximizing revenue... :rolleyes:

I'm not familiar with Anthem, but I like the concept of Grande.

Out of curiosity, is it the same menu in all the dining venues, or does the menu change whether you are in the Grande or some other MDR venue? IF it were an included option, we would probably dine at the Grande, every night.

There is so much bellyaching on cruise critic about dress codes, but it is not just cruising. Recently got back from an AI in Mexico. Every restaurant except the buffet had a dress code. And they enforced it too. Even a year ago in DR, DH got turned away because he was wearing dress shorts. He had to go back to the room and change. This last trip, he made sure to pack enough dress pants for dining.

I'm not familiar with Anthem, but I like the concept of Grande.

Out of curiosity, is it the same menu in all the dining venues, or does the menu change whether you are in the Grande or some other MDR venue? IF it were an included option, we would probably dine at the Grande, every night.

There is so much bellyaching on cruise critic about dress codes, but it is not just cruising. Recently got back from an AI in Mexico. Every restaurant except the buffet had a dress code. And they enforced it too. Even a year ago in DR, DH got turned away because he was wearing dress shorts. He had to go back to the room and change. This last trip, he made sure to pack enough dress pants for dining.

Each restaurant has its own menu. The menu changes on the 5th day, and then changes back to the original on the 9th day (so there are 2 menus for each restaurant)

IMO, The Grande has the strongest menu of all the complementary venues, with enough variety that you could dine there every night (if you have DD Choice). It is an option.

Edited by DonnaK

Disney has allowed shorts in their "Signature" restaurants for years. They do, however, reserve one restaurant that is strictly formal - RCL is attempting to do the same with The Grande. In my opinion, that's a reasonable compromise that all passengers should support.

The problem with having one formal restaurant is that only the handful of diners who choose that restaurant on a given night are dressed formally. When it's not the theme throughout the ship, we definitely felt overdressed the nights we chose Grande, and stuck out like sore thumbs everywhere else but inside the restaurant. Most people only wore their formal clothes to eat, and not throughout the evening.

So, we ended up foregoing formal clothes, and booking the Grande for the first and last nights when the dress code is not formal. We enjoy formal nights but only when it is the theme throughout the ship, making the night feel more special/formal.

We never got turned away for wearing shorts (nice shorts, but shorts)

Tobey, you seem like a very polite man, but aren't you supposed to wear long pants for the pinnacle party? I'm no where near pinnacle, but I have seen men turned away, and asked to change at our party.

Ocean Dancer,

It is so nice to have a conversation with a fellow poster without it turning sour - thank you for the civil discourse! :)

As far as the Pinnacle party goes, I simply do not attend. There is no compulsion to do so, and I would rather not ruin the fun of others.

Edited by CruiseTobey

I had a discussion on the Cunard board about dress code. Pretty frightening actually to be honest. Most people were nice and polite, a few were the expected pompous. I get it, its Cunard but I think a little over the top for this day and age when it comes to attire. Hey its Cunard so they can do as they please, and they will only attract those people that like that. I'm glad cruising has gone the way it has, nice khakis and a shirt should be enough for any venue on a ship today. I even think genes, nice jeans without holes in them should be ok, but I doubt most agree with me on that. Tuxes and dark suits I don't understand at all, but my motto is to each their own.

Edited by JAMESCC

I just has this discussion with DH. I feel a grown man should at least wear khaki pants with a golf type shirt to eat dinner in a grown up restaurant. We're not children after all. Casual is ok. Sloppy not.

Edited by marbat105

Ocean Dancer,

It is so nice to have a conversation with a fellow poster without it turning sour - thank you for the civil discourse! :)

As far as the Pinnacle party goes, I simply do not attend. There is no compulsion to do so, and I would rather not ruin the fun of others.

CruiseTobey, thank you for your kind remarks and your explanation. Under your situation, I totally agree with you even though DH and I like to dress up. We will be snowbirding south of Myrlle Beach where dress pants are never worn........to dinner or any of the shows. We never pack dress clothes when we go, but being a doable ride to Florida's cruiseports, if we see a last minute deal, we may jump on it and try a cruise as you and your wife are doing by having just casual clothes and eating in the Windjammer.

We would feel out of place in the dining rooms.

Note to self.......take passport, we also carry the wallet one

BTW, you would never ruin the fun of others :)