I just got a Senior Pass from the Park Service...

baxley

I am very interested in what I can do with it on our 14 day Alaskan cruise. We are traveling with my husband's brother and wife...

Can I use the pass to enter Mendenhall and also take our relatives? It said something about it covers me and 3 other people in a car. If we get out of the car can we use the pass to enter say the visitor's center, restrooms, etc?

Sorry but this is a little confusing to me. Someone had posted that they used it to enter historic houses on Sitka...

So if anyone is clear on this...I would love some answers. Thanks.

I am very interested in what I can do with it on our 14 day Alaskan cruise. We are traveling with my husband's brother and wife...

Can I use the pass to enter Mendenhall and also take our relatives? It said something about it covers me and 3 other people in a car. If we get out of the car can we use the pass to enter say the visitor's center, restrooms, etc?

Sorry but this is a little confusing to me. Someone had posted that they used it to enter historic houses on Sitka...

So if anyone is clear on this...I would love some answers. Thanks.

You can use the pass to visit National Parks, National Monuments, National Historic Site, National Forests, National Recreational sites, National Conservation Areas, and I am sure that I have left out some classes of places that you can visit. However, they have to be National. It can not be used for state sites or private sites.

That said, entrance to anything National in AK is free so you will not save anything in Alaska.

DON

That said, entrance to anything National in AK is free so you will not save anything in Alaska.

Mendenhall Glacier now has a fee. I believe the pass will work there. Hopefully someone who has used this recently can comment.

Edited by Coral

I used my senior pass at Mendenhall last summer. I don't know the maximum number of people the pass lets in, but I know it is more than two.

That is right - the Visitor Center has always had a fee but right now there is a fee to also view the glacier.

I've used mine in "walk in" National venues. Just like in a car, the pass allows the card holder and three guests entrance. However, I must say that I value our national parks, forests, monuments, etc. so much, that I sometime feel guilty getting folks in for free and not paying to help support these marvelous national treasures.

Another spot to use your pass is in Ketch at the Southeast AK Discovery Center. 50 Main St.

You can see more info from their web site. Says pass holder + three people. Save you 5 bucks p/p.

Here is what the Sitka National Historical Park site has to say:

Park Entrance Fee and Park Passes

There is no park entrance fee for Sitka National Historical Park or the first-floor museum of the Russian Bishop's House. Sitka NHP does not sell National Park Service annual passes. To purchase a pass from the America the Beautiful annual pass series, visit the NPS pass program page.

Russian Bishop's House Tour Fee

Sitka NHP charges a $4 per person fee for ranger-led tours of the second floor of the Russian Bishop's House on Lincoln Street. The fee applies to the summer season (mid-May to September) for adults and children 16 years and older. Fees are not collected during the winter season. Learn more about the Russian Bishop's House.

$2 Discounted Tour for Passholders

Visitors with Senior Passes (for visitors 62 years and older) or Access Pass (for visitors with permanent disabilities) will receive a 50% discount ($2) on their Russian Bishop's House tour fee – for the passholder only. The Annual Pass confers no discount.

Sightcrr.

Edited by SightCRR
add Sitka