Sprained Knee leave tomorrow

My husband and I are going with a big family group out of New Orleans tomorrow on the triumph. Last night I fell in the shower. 3 hour ER visit later in a strange town and I have a massive knee imboliizer (sp?) and am on crutches. My grandma had access to a wheelchair so we are bringing it with us to help get around.

Do I need to let carnival know? We have two excursions booked through carnival, Ruins tour in Progresso and swimming with sea turtles in Cozumel. Can I still do either of these?

Any feedback appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Do you have trip insurance? If you do, it will pay for your medical bills IF you have it covered from the time you left your home. Keep your medical papers and when you get to the ship go to guest services and tell them you have to cancel both excursions. I don't see how you are going to manage swimming with sea turtles and other activities with a sprained knee. Stuff happens.

Do you have trip insurance? If you do, it will pay for your medical bills IF you have it covered from the time you left your home. Keep your medical papers and when you get to the ship go to guest services and tell them you have to cancel both excursions. I don't see how you are going to manage swimming with sea turtles and other activities with a sprained knee. Stuff happens.

I have a question. Why would trip insurance cover medical bills for an injury that happened at home before the trip? I can see if coving trip expenses if forced to cancel due to injury, or care received on the trip but not the medical care at home. The OP said she doesn't have it anyway, but I'm curious about what you said. Thank.

I have a question. Why would trip insurance cover medical bills for an injury that happened at home before the trip? I can see if coving trip expenses if forced to cancel due to injury, or care received on the trip but not the medical care at home. The OP said she doesn't have it anyway, but I'm curious about what you said. Thank.

The way I read it was the op is in a strange town where she fell.

I read it as she was already in N. O. pre cruise.

If that was the case and she did have insurance it would cover her.

But I could have read it wrong,

OP sorry that this happen right before your cruise.

Have fun and enjoy,

I wasn't sure where the OP fell. I guess I assumed the OP was staying in a hotel before the cruise and fell in the hotel.

3 hour ER visit later in a strange town

However, I always get trip insurance the day before we leave just for that very reason. Injury and can't go o the cruise. We travel many times a day or two before we actually get on the ship. In our upcoming cruise we're 4 days insured before we leave because we will be traveling and anything can happen.

Edited by elliair

Apparantly is was not at her home, but was on the way. Her own insurance likely covered all or most, but I've read trip insurance might have covered it because it was in transit.

My husband and I are going with a big family group out of New Orleans tomorrow on the triumph. Last night I fell in the shower. 3 hour ER visit later in a strange town and I have a massive knee imboliizer (sp?) and am on crutches. My grandma had access to a wheelchair so we are bringing it with us to help get around.

Do I need to let carnival know? We have two excursions booked through carnival, Ruins tour in Progresso and swimming with sea turtles in Cozumel. Can I still do either of these?

So sorry this happened to you right before your cruise!

If someone can push you around in the wheel chair at the ruins, you can still do it. The swimming, I'm not so sure, it seems as though you cannot bear any weight on your knee.

Have a great cruise and just try and make the best of your situation. :)

No open wound. I have a wheelchair. I can't really walk. I might be able to hobble to the water. Lol. I really wanted to swim with the turtles. [emoji19]

I was out of town with no trip insurance. But I have regular insurance. It will cover some of the cost of the hospital bill.

If you look at the excursions you booked it should have a meter for how strenuous the excursion is. If you don't have a brace/cast you can swim and it will probably feel pretty good not to stand on one foot. You may just have difficulty getting in and out of the water. Did you doctor give you limitations? Any hiking excursion I would cancel because it will just be too hard with new crutches and a wheel chair.

Not sure if it's appropriate considering your injury but have you considered a knee scooter? If you're able to use one it'll make getting around on the ship much easier than a wheel chair or crutches.

Something like this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01H0S9AXM/ref=sr_tnr_p_3_3776971_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1468772473&sr=8-3&keywords=rolling+knee+walker&pi=SY200_QL40

For swimming with the turtles, how do you get into and out of the water?

Let Carnival know when you get to port. Get Wheelchair assistance for embark, special needs muster. Check with the MD where your table is. Can even do a dry run at that time.

I know you have been looking forward to your planned excursions but IMHO it would be best if you either cancel or resign yourself to being a spectator. Your trip to the ruins will be spent sitting in the visitors center waiting for the rest of your family. As far as the swimming, you are in an immobilizer. The sole purpose of an immobilizer is to keep your knee from bending. (also why a knee scooter won't work) If you remove the immobilizer to enter the water you will bend it. It is human nature. You have been walking like that since you were just under and year old.

You can and should still have a wonderful cruise with your family. It will just be slightly different than what you planned.

The scooter is for problems below the knee. This area would not be applicable--too much strain.

That said, I broke my arm the day before a cruise and had insurance. I could have dropped out with no problem, full refund. Instead I went and had a wonderful time. The waiter and maitre de almost fought each time my dinner was delivered to see who would cut my food up! Everyone was helpful. If you have a sprain, the best place to be is on a cruise ship---enjoy!

Thanks for all the feedback. I will talk to guest services when we get there. Even if I don't get to do the planned activities, I'll still be on a cruise. Which is better than being at home on the couch. [emoji4]

Stay away from those excursions.

Sorry for your misfortune,but like you said you will still be on vay cay .maybe the hot tubs will work and I hoping the doc. Gave you some meds!! Maybe by mid week things will be a bit better but stay on ship. There's so much to do and see on the other hand you will get front row seats to the shows and talks and everyone will be at your beck and call. And if you were my wife this would be another reason to take another vac cay when your better.Have a great time