Bayonne Bridge

Anyone have any updated info on the Bayonne Bridge construction closures?

We are on the south shore of LI and our 2 previous cruises out of Cape Liberty we have gotten there through SS pkwy, to the Belt, Verrazano and over the Bayonne Bridge. Easy, no traffic early Sunday morning drives both to and from.

Now I think the bridge is closed on Sunday mornings and our route will be through one of the NYC tunnels, to I-95 south to exit 14A?

If someone can confirm the bridge being closed and the city route as the best alternative, I'd appreciate it!

Anyone have any updated info on the Bayonne Bridge construction closures?

We are on the south shore of LI and our 2 previous cruises out of Cape Liberty we have gotten there through SS pkwy, to the Belt, Verrazano and over the Bayonne Bridge. Easy, no traffic early Sunday morning drives both to and from.

Now I think the bridge is closed on Sunday mornings and our route will be through one of the NYC tunnels, to I-95 south to exit 14A?

If someone can confirm the bridge being closed and the city route as the best alternative, I'd appreciate it!

http://www.panynj.gov/alerts-advisories/advisories-bayonne-bridge.html

My Long Island friends still come across the Verrazano Bridge, cross Staten Island to the Goethals Bridge, and go north on the turnpike to exit 14a.

However, I don't see a problem with the city route on a Sunday morning. It's a personal choice - many local folks just don't like to drive through the city. I'd be looking at Waze to see what is recommended at the exact time you're traveling.

http://www.panynj.gov/alerts-advisories/advisories-bayonne-bridge.html

My Long Island friends still come across the Verrazano Bridge, cross Staten Island to the Goethals Bridge, and go north on the turnpike to exit 14a.

However, I don't see a problem with the city route on a Sunday morning. It's a personal choice - many local folks just don't like to drive through the city. I'd be looking at Waze to see what is recommended at the exact time you're traveling.

Thanks for your response!

I have done the city route (Lincoln Tunnel) many times to go to Metlife for Giants game and it's an easy ride in on early Sunday mornings, but then again it is in Sept through Jan, so not as many people out and about as I would expect in the summer months. Hubby says we'll do the city unless the bridge is somehow open.

We're on Long Island. We used the Williamsburg Bridge to Holland Tunnel route last summer on a Sunday. Worked well for us. Of course you need to be familiar with the route to make it easy.

Very familiar with all the NYC/NJ roads. My husband drives them everyday for his job.

Very familiar with all the NYC/NJ roads. My husband drives them everyday for his job.

From the south shore, you are still better off taking the Verrazano across Staten Island and over the Goethals. You then take the Turnpike north up to the extension and into Bayonne. Still far easier than going through the city, even on a Sunday. It will add only about 15 minutes onto your trip.