A drinking "light weight" tries the Premium Package

I felt the exact same way! I was on the Adventure and they had a royal promenade special at the beginning of the week for 10 drinks for $85+tax. I probably would have been better off with that.

I found drinks I liked... but drank more than normal and felt like I had to drink to get my moneys worth.

In May, I sailed on the Enchantment on a 4 night Bahamas cruise. I'm not much of a drinker either but the last day of our cruise was an at sea day so I purchased the one day premium package. I was able to get my premium coffees, bottled water, and alcoholic drinks for $69 plus tax. Worked for me! :)

Got it again last week and drank like a fish for a week. Multiple glasses of wine with every meal, cocktail after cocktail, always a beer in hand for the first half of the day and never once checked the cruise balance or worried about it.

Also, didn't drink a drop of water Evian or otherwise. Took pills with swigs of beer.

Couldn't have had a better vacation.

I'm sure you are joking, right? :D

Another good thing about package is there is no limit, Carnival has a 15 drink limit that a friend of ours hit on a couple of days. ( another reason I will not cruise Carnival)

Yikes, 15 drinks in a day! Something tells me he didn't have a very good cruise. What a waste of a vacation.

I would like to add my input as well, I guess as a medium drinker?

We purchased the premium package with 20% discount for our upcoming mediterranean cruise. Normally I don't like to drink so much alcohol when it's warm, I'd rather stick to the nonalcoholic cocktails. However, we did the following reasoning. I know I would get at least a soda package, as I enjoy the freestyle machines and having 2-3 sprite during dinner.

The following prices are what I see in the cruise-planner, converted from my local currency. Drink prices are approximate:

Premium package: $48/day

- Soda package: $10/day

What I pay extra per day: $38

What I plan to drink on an average day:

1 glass of sparkling wine for dinner, $10

2 cocktails during in the evening, $12 each

2 non-alcoholic cocktails in the whirlpool, $5 each

Total: $44/day

So for me, with what I would call light drinking, and with the 20% discount, the package is worth it. I come out at $6/day ahead ($44-$38)

The prices of wine and cocktails have risen quite a bit the past few years so a package makes more sense now than it did in the beginning. When we first went on the allure I believe it was 6 cocktails/day that was the breaking point. Now it is less.

Yikes, 15 drinks in a day! Something tells me he didn't have a very good cruise. What a waste of a vacation.

Just because you dont drink much - dont assume 15 drinks means a crap vacation! I went on a Carnival 12 day cruise and had between 9-16 drinks a day. I had a lovely relaxed time. Was I rolling about drunk ? - no of course not ! Having drinks over the course of the day - 15 drinks is not a lot. Everyone to their own to enjoy their vacation as they see fit ! I may drink similar when I go away in two weeks time ( hopefully :))

for us, I can't see it NOT worth it.

Breakfast - fresh squeezed oj? check maybe mimosa or bellini? at least one

afternoon? probably 2 frozen concoctions

2 glasses of wine with dinner

2 drinks after dinner?

plus better coffee all day? bottled water? yeah, no question here.

I would like to add my input as well, I guess as a medium drinker?

We purchased the premium package with 20% discount for our upcoming mediterranean cruise. Normally I don't like to drink so much alcohol when it's warm, I'd rather stick to the nonalcoholic cocktails. However, we did the following reasoning. I know I would get at least a soda package, as I enjoy the freestyle machines and having 2-3 sprite during dinner.

The following prices are what I see in the cruise-planner, converted from my local currency. Drink prices are approximate:

Premium package: $48/day

- Soda package: $10/day

What I pay extra per day: $38

What I plan to drink on an average day:

1 glass of sparkling wine for dinner, $10

2 cocktails during in the evening, $12 each

2 non-alcoholic cocktails in the whirlpool, $5 each

Total: $44/day

So for me, with what I would call light drinking, and with the 20% discount, the package is worth it. I come out at $6/day ahead ($44-$38)

The prices of wine and cocktails have risen quite a bit the past few years so a package makes more sense now than it did in the beginning. When we first went on the allure I believe it was 6 cocktails/day that was the breaking point. Now it is less.

Are you going to have the sodas in addition to the wine at dinner? Are you going to have the sodas during the day? You might be. Keep in mind port days though. Any drinking you'd normally have on the ship during the day would have to be made up elsewhere.

Had the premium on our 15 night TA.. I also had it on a 4 night Bahamas cruise.. I agree that for me I drank way more with the package than I would have purchasing individually.. One benefit I did use was have the bar tenders make my drink with a half a shot of booze instead of a whole one.. I would ask every time , or I would look over and see the bartender pouring a huge amount of alcohol (multiple shots) in my drink.. One thing though.. The bottled water in the package is spring water- not purified. I hated it- tasted like hose water from the well.. Lol. Did I get my money's worth? Oh yes, I had the headaches to prove it in the mornings.. I only 'tied one on' twice in the 15 nights.. I don't drink a lot at home. I think for the next cruise I will get the soda card and not drink as much. Now hubby he likes a bloody marry in the morning and then a few Pina coladas by the pool as well as a few drinks at night. He will get the package. I will also be on the lookout for the 10 drink card.

My advice would be if you can drink moderately all day every day then it's worth it, if not then I would really think about it..

Our first experience with a unlimited alcohol plan was on NCL Escape. We enjoyed it much more and not for the reasons you think. It was just nice not to have to think about the cost or the count.

I never got "drunk" although after 1 painkiller (drink not the pill) I did take a nap. I never had a hangover something I was worried about. I never embarrassed my DD, her greatest fear mom dancing.

I had 6-8 drinks a day or so. So did my DH. We have decided that convenience of not having to think about "MMM do I really need to spend $13 on a cocktail, Do I want try anther drink at dinner?, How much have I spent to far? " makes it worth the pre purchase price.

Merry Christmas Honey here is a drink package for our vacation 6 months from now. Shopping done easy by RCCL.

Just because you dont drink much - dont assume 15 drinks means a crap vacation! I went on a Carnival 12 day cruise and had between 9-16 drinks a day. I had a lovely relaxed time. Was I rolling about drunk ? - no of course not ! Having drinks over the course of the day - 15 drinks is not a lot. Everyone to their own to enjoy their vacation as they see fit ! I may drink similar when I go away in two weeks time ( hopefully :))

Totally agree, my friend had a great time, he also stays up late to gamble so if you start drinking at lunch at still drinking at midnight, that is not hard to do, I do not count but I have about 10 a day on a cruise.

I keep saying.

Most people would save money if they paid as they went instead of buying a package.

They wind up drinking a lot of extra drinks they really don't want just to try to break even......

Have to disagree w/ the use of 'most' people. It would be better stated as 'some' people. As none of us really know how many people actually buy the package. I can honestly say that if you can not handle 5 drinks a day for 7 consecutive days while on vacation, then purchasing an alcoholic beverage package is not for you. I don't know if this would be fall under 'most' or 'some', but there is no doubt that it is an individual choice based on one's level of drinking alcohol.

But bottom-line, if the OP split even, regardless of how it was done, then speaking financially, this is good.

Are you going to have the sodas in addition to the wine at dinner? Are you going to have the sodas during the day? You might be. Keep in mind port days though. Any drinking you'd normally have on the ship during the day would have to be made up elsewhere.

From experience I will have soda for breakfast, lunch, dinner.. so yes the package is worth it :-) I usually fill up the souvenir cup before going ashore as well

Our choice to take the drink package depends on whether or not we will be spending lots of time on excursions.

If our cruise is "more about the ship than the ports" we would definitely drink more poolside, at lunch, etc.

We chose to take it on the Oasis, but not to do so on the Windsurf cruise which is all about spending time off the ship in the BVI.

Our first experience with a unlimited alcohol plan was on NCL Escape. We enjoyed it much more and not for the reasons you think. It was just nice not to have to think about the cost or the count.

I never got "drunk" although after 1 painkiller (drink not the pill) I did take a nap. I never had a hangover something I was worried about. I never embarrassed my DD, her greatest fear mom dancing.

I had 6-8 drinks a day or so. So did my DH. We have decided that convenience of not having to think about "MMM do I really need to spend $13 on a cocktail, Do I want try anther drink at dinner?, How much have I spent to far? " makes it worth the pre purchase price.

Merry Christmas Honey here is a drink package for our vacation 6 months from now. Shopping done easy by RCCL.

THANKS!! THAT is how I'm going to give my husband his Christmas present!!! That's what I'm going to say!!! AND best of all we will be on board DURING Christmas!

for us, I can't see it NOT worth it.

Breakfast - fresh squeezed oj? check maybe mimosa or bellini? at least one

afternoon? probably 2 frozen concoctions

2 glasses of wine with dinner

2 drinks after dinner?

plus better coffee all day? bottled water? yeah, no question here.

See? This is EXACTLY me. In terms of strictly alcoholic beverage consumption, a beverage package (usually I pick top tier so in this case Ultimate) doesn't make sense. But I like an espresso based coffee (or three :D) a day. I drink at least a liter of water a day at home- on a ship it's no different. I actually probably consume more because I'm even more active on the ship plus the weather etc.

We're no slouches at home, but the last time I was on the Oasis? I had done 3500 steps just going to breakfast. Add in actual exercise AND port exploration? Easily averaged at least 30,000 steps a day. So yeah, need that water. Now, we don't need to do bottle water at home; but my GI system gets its' panties in a bunch when I travel and expose myself to local water no matter where in the world I happen to be, so for me? I HAVE to have bottled water or I'll spend more of the vacation checking out restroom locations than I'd like. :rolleyes:

Then, let's not forget the occasional pop here and there. Not a big pop/soda drinker so maybe 1-3 of those total on a cruise. But, there's also fresh squeezed OJ. Also, premium hot tea- though I admit that was more on Celebrity ships than the Oasis.

So, in recap? BEFORE we talk about liquor? I've gone through at least 3 coffee's, two bottles of water, and an orange juice or smoothie. That's 6 beverages right there.

I'm not a heavy drinker even on vacation. But, if you add in a mimosa or two with breakfast or maybe a couple bloody Mary's, a beer or two with lunch, and a couple glasses of wine with dinner? Bang. 'Broke Even' already. And didn't even come close to being sloppy or having too much.

As for the mindset of liking to have it all paid for, I can understand that. It's nice to see that nothing got charged to your card at the end, or maybe a few bucks or what not.

For me, I get the package. I would have a couple of espresso's a day and a glass of wine or two with dinner at home. I don't know about you, but I don't go on vacation to do less than I do at home ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Just did the premium package on RC and I thought the package was great value. I drank quite a bit but when you spread it out over 12+ hours it isnt' as much as I thought.

My days consisted of the following beverages

Morning: Cappuccino & bloody mary or mimosa with breakfast

Afternoon: Return to the ship at 4pm and hit the pool with the kids and enjoy 1 or 2 slushy alcohol drinks.

Dinner: 1 vodka tonic then a glass of wine with dinner. Cappuccino with dessert. Soda's for the kids (dining room allowed this without asking)

Night: 1 or two mixed drinks with the shows or a beer or 2

4 or 5 bottles of water through out the day.

Then of course days at sea would be a few more drinks then this.

Needless to say, I had to hit the gym hard each day to burn all of the calories off. lol

All of this was put on the premium package daily during my trip. I never added it up but I think if I paid out of pocket I would have either paid more or broke even.

On my last cruise I debated whether to get the premium package and decided not to do it since it was only a 4 night cruise. Since I carried a bottle of champagne and wine on the ship, I didn't think I'd purchase many drinks for the first few days of the cruise. I'd have a glass of wine or two poolside, and at dinner and used the coupons on my sea pass. At the end of the cruise, my bar tab was minimal. The last day of the cruise was an at sea day and I purchased the one day premium package for $79. It worked out well! :D