A drinking "light weight" tries the Premium Package

The 20% off sale for the premium drink packages and all the posts about how wonderful the packages are, pushed me to get one for our recent sailing.

I like frozen drinks, and at ~$13/drink (incl. tip), it would take ~4.2 drinks a day to "break even".

While I did get my money's worth (but not by much) over the week, I ended up drinking WAY more than I normally would.

Throughout the week, I kept feeling I HAD to get a drink to make sure the package was worth it.

I understand some folks swear by the package. For those who don't drink a lot, I just suggest being realistic on what you'll drink. I generally had one drink around lunch time, another in the early afternoon, one at dinner, and one at the show. I'd also get a bottle of water at some point during the day.

I'm not one to just sit by the pool, was usually either watching DD do the flowrider or the rock wall, or just soaking in the ship.

So for me, no more drink packages.

Just my .02.

I'm with you. It would not be worth the money for me. I just don't drink that much booze and I'm not a big soda person. Now, if the bring that dang water package down a bit, I would be ALL over that.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Makes perfect sense for you and thanks for sharing your experience. I think the packages are a very personal decision based on what or how you normally drink.

When we did the Med I had the non alcoholic package, becasue it was both port intensive and we we with the kids. Between the frozen NA drinks, coffees and water bottles it was worth it to me.

When dh and I sailed alone I got the premium package. I never felt the need to drink x amount to make the price worthwhile. For me it was not having that "second thought" about how much the drink was costing me when I had one.

I'm with you. It would not be worth the money for me. I just don't drink that much booze and I'm not a big soda person. Now, if the bring that dang water package down a bit, I would be ALL over that.

Isn't that the truth - I really like how Carnival brought down the water price.

The whole drink package thing depends a lot on how one is wired. In this instance, the four drinks a day plus a bottle or two of water gets a person to the break even point.

The mere fact of having a package should not cause one to feel they have to have additional drinks. But if it does and if this makes one uncomfortable then that person should go a la carte.

Also, if one feels having a package will cause one to drink constantly from morning to bedtime then perhaps that's not a good plan, either.

In my case, I looked at past seapass charges and saw I could save money with the Premium Package and had that on my last cruise. According to DW who tracks such things my consumption was about the same with the package. So I'm getting it on our next cruise.

For me, between the package and prepaying gratuities, I like the idea of seeing a very small balance on that final invoice slipped under our door the last night.

YMMV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I, for me, think the package is a value added even though the drinking goal may not be met. Although I would be on the side of those who would actually benefit because I like my 2-3 glasses of wine per meal and drinks before and after. The part I like is that I can prepay, like many other things, and not have to worry about a large bill at the end of my cruise. I think that allows me to not worry about my bills at the end but I also don't worry about counting drinks. Just a perspective. :)

I agree, for a "lightweight" drinker (either one who gets a buzz easily, or one who just doesn't drink very much in general) the drink package isn't equitable to what you will actually drink.

There is a lot to be said for what others are saying about paying that extra money just to have the "all-inclusive" feel to their vacation, even if you aren't getting the equitable dollar value in drinks; they get it in peace of mind.

I persoanlly don't buy the drink package either. I do like all-inclusives because it's nice to know that you don't have to think about anything, but at the same time, on a cruise they just charge your card at the end, so it's still pretty mindless. Sure, there's a "Bill" (more of a receipt) at the end where you see the amount, but who really cares? If the money is there, you were gonna pay it anyway so it's not stressful, and it makes more financial sense for "lightweights" who know they truly won't get the equitable dollar amount out of the package. You pay at the end, but you pay less.

I could spend a day or 3 drinking 5-8 drinks during the day, but anything more than 8 and I would pass out, even if it was spread out. I wouldn't be able to spread it out for enough hours that I would actually want to keep having drinks. And I would get bored of that after day 3, or at least start to just feel gross, full and "over fed." I like the idea of the drink package, but I would do the same as she did, which is end up buying drinks I didn't want simply because I don't like wasting money, and the peace of mind wouldn't balance out the actual dollar value for me.

It's good that it's available for those who want it, and im glad that those of us who don't aren't having to pay for it. So it works out. Land based all-inclusives cost twice as much as a cruise for that reason.

Getting peace of mind from way overpaying ahead of time instead of paying less afterwards is about as irrational as it gets. No offense, I just don't understand it and it seems like weird thing to obtain pleasure from--paying money for the privilege of not thinking. But people do this with the Disney dining plan too, and they use the same reasoning.

(Every once in a while I think about clicking UBP on an upcoming NCL mock booking, then I remember I don't even drink enough to justify the service charge on the "free" perk.)

Edited by AdoraBelle

If you aren't a "drinker", then a package is a waste of money. Pay as you go. Cheaper that way. If you ARE a drinker..i am..then a package will make sense. I can drink my weight in beer over the course of 8-10 hours....after that..all bets are off. I've been practicing this for a long time...good at it!

If you're not a "drinker"...don't get the package. Easy-peezy.

I keep saying.

Most people would save money if they paid as they went instead of buying a package.

They wind up drinking a lot of extra drinks they really don't want just to try to break even......

Getting peace of mind from way overpaying ahead of time instead of paying less afterwards is about as irrational as it gets. No offense, I just don't understand it and it seems like weird thing to obtain pleasure from--paying money for the privilege of not thinking. But people do this with the Disney dining plan too, and they use the same reasoning.

(Every once in a while I think about clicking UBP on an upcoming NCL mock booking, then I remember I don't even drink enough to justify the service charge on the "free" perk.)

No, irrational is concerning yourself with how other people spend their money.

I keep saying.

Most people would save money if they paid as they went instead of buying a package.

They wind up drinking a lot of extra drinks they really don't want just to try to break even......

Just because you repeat it over and over doesn't make it true. ;)

Just because you repeat it over and over doesn't make it true. ;)

It does make it true for some though.

OP, I am with you. Never going yo do a package. Our bar bill was about $40 for two of us on our last 8 day cruise. The diamond drinks are plenty for us...

It does make it true for some though.

OP, I am with you. Never going yo do a package. Our bar bill was about $40 for two of us on our last 8 day cruise. The diamond drinks are plenty for us...

The comment was about people who buy the package so it would not apply to your situation having not bought the package. Surely I agree if you don't think it's worth it then don't buy it.

...and all the posts about how wonderful the packages are...

FWIW all of the posts about how packages are good include the information that the person does drink a decent amount.

There are plenty of people talking about how if you don't drink a lot, they aren't worth it.

I feel bad for your pocketbook (and maybe liver) that you didn't see all those other posts saying that they aren't great if you don't already plan to drink x number of alcoholic beverages a day.

Now, if the bring that dang water package down a bit, I would be ALL over that.

If you like Evian (not everyone does, which mystifies me b/c it tastes so good) it's worth it. Just get it. $3.25 per bottle (I'm not including gratuity here) isn't atrocious for being on a ship. I've seen half liters of spring water in hotels at twice that cost.

12 one-liter bottles of water that you don't have to smuggle onto the ship? That's delivered to you? Nice.

You could buy the same from amazon for (right now) 25.50. At Sam's Club it's way cheaper.

But then you have to sneak it onto the ship. No thanks!

I cannot abide and my system cannot deal with ship water, and I like the taste of Evian, and refuse to smuggle water onto the ship. (I've only brought water onboard once, and it was on Disney, and that cruiseline allows it...it's just a huge pain IMO...though now that DCL moved from Evian to Dasani junk municipal water I'll be bringing it onboard should I ever sail DCL again) The Evian is WELL worth it.

Hello,

I noticed the OP noted that they purchased the drink package with a 20% discount - where/when was this available?

I depart on 9/3 Anthem of the Seas and would LOVE to get a 20% discount since we plan on purchasing the package.. :)

Hello,

I noticed the OP noted that they purchased the drink package with a 20% discount - where/when was this available?

I depart on 9/3 Anthem of the Seas and would LOVE to get a 20% discount since we plan on purchasing the package.. :)

The beverage package discounts are not on every sailing. If your sailing is offering the discount, it will show up in your Cruise Planner when you select one of the beverage packages.

FWIW all of the posts about how packages are good include the information that the person does drink a decent amount.

There are plenty of people talking about how if you don't drink a lot, they aren't worth it.

I feel bad for your pocketbook (and maybe liver) that you didn't see all those other posts saying that they aren't great if you don't already plan to drink x number of alcoholic beverages a day.

Actually, no, not all the posts advocating the drink packages point out it depends on how much you drink. Some folks say they get the package so if they don't like a drink, they can throw it away and get another. Others say they like knowing what their final bill is (regardless of how much they actually drink).

I thought is was pretty obvious in my OP, that I had done the math (since I knew it would take 4.2 drinks to break even). That sounds like a reasonable amount, and I did drink enough to break even. However, probably at least 1/3 of the drinks I got on this cruise I wouldn't have gotten if I hadn't had the package.

Basically I was "on the fence" regarding the package and decided to give it a try. I decided to post my experience. I'm not blaming or criticizing anyone. I made the decision fully on my own.

If you like Evian (not everyone does, which mystifies me b/c it tastes so good) it's worth it. Just get it. $3.25 per bottle (I'm not including gratuity here) isn't atrocious for being on a ship. I've seen half liters of spring water in hotels at twice that cost.

hmmm... I thought all drink package posts point out it depends how much you drink. :D

I cannot abide and my system cannot deal with ship water, and I like the taste of Evian, and refuse to smuggle water onto the ship. (I've only brought water onboard once, and it was on Disney, and that cruiseline allows it...it's just a huge pain IMO...though now that DCL moved from Evian to Dasani junk municipal water I'll be bringing it onboard should I ever sail DCL again) The Evian is WELL worth it.

Again, that's for YOU. Edited by S.A.M.J.R.

I think there is a misunderstanding on the package being a value and drinking too much to make it worth while. I am not a heavy drinker but like a good Scotch or martini before dinner and I like to drink wine with my meals. I have found the drink prices on a cruise ship are pretty competitive with the places I go. In some cases it's much cheaper. On a recent cruise on the Jewel we bought the Ultimate Package and found, after a couple days, it was pointless to try to track because by the end of dinner I was already at the mark. No, I was not staggering around the ship in a stupor, in fact, it was the opposite.

While I don't drink much at home, when I'm on vacation I like to have a few without getting carried away and find that the package facilitates that in a very reasonable manner. So for me, it is not a drinking contest and on my recent physical, my liver was just fine. :)

I am in alignment with the OP. I purchased the drink package once as it sounded like a good deal. But I found I ended up drinking more than I normally would as I feel compelled to get my moneys worth! I also have calculated out on every cruise I take how much I spend on drinks and while on some days I exceed the cost of the package - on others I am way under. So for me it works out best to pay as I go.

12 one-liter bottles of water that you don't have to smuggle onto the ship? That's delivered to you? Nice.

You could buy the same from amazon for (right now) 25.50. At Sam's Club it's way cheaper.

But then you have to sneak it onto the ship. No thanks!

You don't have to smuggle water onboard. I have taped a luggage tag on a flat of water and it got delivered to our room with the other luggage. I have done this three times.