MSC Advice - Good Bad and the Ugly...

amywoods1609

Hi All,

Have been going through a painstaking deliberation about which cruise to book for August...

My mind is still very much not made up!

The reason why I come to the MSC Forum is because there are an awful lot of MSC Cruises that fit our requirements in the time we can go... However SO many of the Cruise Critic Reviews about the ships are less than favorable...

So I wanted to find out from people who have had recent experience really what it's like and see if many of these reviews are just "people liking a moan"

To give you an idea of what we are looking for, we are a couple in our 30's, have been on 1 Cruise Before (RCI Freedom, in Caribbean) and loved it, this year budgets being a little tighter are looking a Med Cruise, for a week...

Some of the MSC Itineraries and ships look amazing, however the reviews are putting me off...

TBH all we really are after with our cruise is a nice dinner, and then drinks in a bar, we aren't really too fussed with the entertainment etc. The pool area is important but the ones we are looking at will only be 1 sea day so again not super important.

So I guess it's really just the food that's a concern, as many people are saying is not a good standard - can someone advise what we're talking about here as everywhere says 6/7 courses and to me this sounds great but I guess if it's 7 courses of gruel then this would be bad! :p

Can anyone give any realistic feedback?

It is 6 or 7 small courses one of which is usually salad, pasta, risotto, meat/fish then dessert plus soup. We liked it the quality is no different from any if the large cruise lines. Style is different, very European, Europeans on the whole take much longer over their meals, with much conversation between courses. Don't be afraid to go MSC😀

Edited by kerryincork

I mean, that sounds lovely to me...

I don't need plates piled high to the ceiling, I just can't imagine the food to be as bad as people say or how would it still be a cruise line....

Hi Amywoods. We have sailed 5 times so far, 2 on RCI, 1 on NCL and 2 on MSC. The MSC ships, the newer ones anyway, are beautiful and classy looking. Staff are much as on other lines, Asian, Eastern European and Filipino. Most are very pleasant. The food is fine, not as hearty as RCI or NCL, smaller portions, especially of meats. The buffet has great pizza and lots of choice. Bar service is discreet, sometimes slow but the drinks package is great value, at £20 pppd. The shows are very professional, not much talking as there are always many nationalities onboard, but the shows are short at 45mins or so. There is usually live music around the ship in the evenings up til late. I read that Guest Relations are 'inflexible' or 'unfriendly' but I can only say I had no problem changing a disembarkation time. Most importantly, MSC offers the best value cruises at the moment. We have 3 more booked over next 12 months. The returning cruisers 5% discount is handy too. Look out for a deal and try it. Ken

Hello Amywoods,

I think you are prime candidates to try MSC. You're looking for more of a budget trip this year and MSC delivers on value. Food is so subjective. I've only sailed MSC in the US and thought the food just "ok", but the value made up for the lack of quality in my mind.

Freedom Class on RCL is going to be an entirely different experience than anything MSC offers, but this sounds like a port intensive trip so ship does not matter nearly as much. If you liked all the activities on Freedom (flow rider, promenade, etc...); any MSC ship will be much more subdued. Think MSC as refined while Freedom is an all out party :).

My only caution to those considering MSC in Europe is that their itineraries and especially short port times tend to be much less inviting than other lines; especially for those coming from the US who haven't traveled Europe much. However, since you live across the pond I'm assuming you have visited much of the Mediterranean already so some of the less notable ports and shorter port times could be a positive for you.

I vote is to give MSC a whirl, but know that it will be a different experience than Freedom and keep in mind the cost savings when doing a comparison :).

We sailed MSC Divina in May, and booked the Seaside for 2018 if that means anything. We found the crew very good. The food, as has been said, is subjective, but we had no problem with it. If the portion isn't enough, they will bring you more. The drink prices are 1/2 of Royal. There is LIVE entertainment in every room at night, and there are deck parties too. They shows are great. Try it. I don't think you'll regret it. You may even book another.

There will be a lot of families in August so the pools will be busy. We noticed on our recent cruise that there wasn't a lot of parental supervision and the pool attendants had to work hard to control the numerous children misbehaving in both the pools and hot tubs.

We are from the UK and our schools don't break up from school till the end of July so we wasn't aware the rest of Europe break up early July. It would put me going of going from July till end of August again because of this. Our kids are now grown up and whilst I love children I do expect to be able to use the pools and hot tubs without children jumping on my head and being an absolute nuisance. We really enjoyed our cruise apart from this, we weren't the only people to moan, there was plenty of Americans and Australian as well as Brits who also said the same. You live and learn it wouldn't put me off doing another MSC cruise because I bet all cruise lines in Europe probably have the same problem this time of year. but I would definitely not go again in school holidays.

I've cruised other main stream lines in Europe during both July and August and did not find anything like you described with children :eek::eek:. I do believe MSC has more children on-board due to their very generous kids sail free program.

That's is probably what it was. Good on MSC for offering such generous deals for families though. Like I said it was only a small aspect of our cruise the rest was fine.

I've been cruising with em for 11 years most recently a month ago on the Eadtern Med. I've never starved yet or come close to it, quite the reverse in fact!

It's very much an Italian cuisine with a few international dishes and plainer always available options. I love the pasta and rice course which is probably why I'm still tying to shift the extra pounds I put on last month.

Some of the complaints are from people completely used to either an A erican or British reduction not liking the differences and feeling out of their comfort zone when the majority of passengers do not speak English as a first language.

If you've had ayes in the Med effort, particularly Italy, you should be fine. I like the Mediterranean vibe onboard, especially when I'm in the Med.

Give it a go, you may love it! You'll never know unless you try.

If you're coming from the UK, Ireland or even any other continental European site, you're perharps acquaintanced with what an usual good European resort hotel is like. Food and service like, MSC will be pretty similar! If you have already traveled for continental Europe staying on land hotels, you'll be at home! Have a good cruise!

Edited by Nunagoras

Hi All,

Have been going through a painstaking deliberation about which cruise to book for August...

My mind is still very much not made up!

The reason why I come to the MSC Forum is because there are an awful lot of MSC Cruises that fit our requirements in the time we can go... However SO many of the Cruise Critic Reviews about the ships are less than favorable...

So I wanted to find out from people who have had recent experience really what it's like and see if many of these reviews are just "people liking a moan"

To give you an idea of what we are looking for, we are a couple in our 30's, have been on 1 Cruise Before (RCI Freedom, in Caribbean) and loved it, this year budgets being a little tighter are looking a Med Cruise, for a week...

Some of the MSC Itineraries and ships look amazing, however the reviews are putting me off...

TBH all we really are after with our cruise is a nice dinner, and then drinks in a bar, we aren't really too fussed with the entertainment etc. The pool area is important but the ones we are looking at will only be 1 sea day so again not super important.

So I guess it's really just the food that's a concern, as many people are saying is not a good standard - can someone advise what we're talking about here as everywhere says 6/7 courses and to me this sounds great but I guess if it's 7 courses of gruel then this would be bad! :p

Can anyone give any realistic feedback?

Food is subjective so what i may like you may not.

I would describe the food as (this helps if you have been to France and especially Paris) so a bit of imagination is required, the type of food you find in all the little restaurants on the left bank that offer a cheap set menu. But obviously more Italian than French !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We have sailed on many of the middle of the road cruise lines....each is a bit different, which we like. Why do the some thing year after year...it's nice to vary the experiences.

With that said, this coming November will be our first MSC cruise. I look forward to the more European style of dining. And if the portions are small...even better...less chance of gaining weight! LOL! Even with ALL the courses, you just have to taste or a few bites of each to enjoy the meal!

I expect to enjoy it so much, that we have booked the Seaside for 2018! If it's really really bad or not to our taste, we can always cancel!. ;)

As others have said, food is subjective, but there is always something you can make a good meal out of :)

Appetizers - think carpaccio of beef, prawns, sometimes scallops, melon, parma ham, mussels, smoked salmon

Salad course - may or may not be vegetarian

Soup - often one hot and one cold. Chilled fruit soup is actually very nice would you believe!!

Pasta / Risotto course - one of each and ranges from tortellini to carbonara, seafood, cheese or mushroom risotto perhaps

Entree (main course) don't expect steak on the menu every night (although I have noticed they now offer t-bone and a glass of fine red wine at a supplement) some of my favourite courses have been sliced roast rib of beef and lamb... they tend to have veal quite often

Dessert - what it says on the tin, usually a selection of 3, often fresh fruit plate and cheese in addition to this

I'd go for it, it's great value compared to some of the full board or all inclusive resorts you could get for just a little less

Which ships is it you're looking at? Fantasia class (the newest) are gorgeous - very glitzy and plenty of room

As others have said, food is subjective, but there is always something you can make a good meal out of :)

Appetizers - think carpaccio of beef, prawns, sometimes scallops, melon, parma ham, mussels, smoked salmon

Salad course - may or may not be vegetarian

Soup - often one hot and one cold. Chilled fruit soup is actually very nice would you believe!!

Pasta / Risotto course - one of each and ranges from tortellini to carbonara, seafood, cheese or mushroom risotto perhaps

Entree (main course) don't expect steak on the menu every night (although I have noticed they now offer t-bone and a glass of fine red wine at a supplement) some of my favourite courses have been sliced roast rib of beef and lamb... they tend to have veal quite often

Dessert - what it says on the tin, usually a selection of 3, often fresh fruit plate and cheese in addition to this

I'd go for it, it's great value compared to some of the full board or all inclusive resorts you could get for just a little less

Which ships is it you're looking at? Fantasia class (the newest) are gorgeous - very glitzy and plenty of room

Thanks for sharing that! There is not a single thing there that I would not eat! Sounds wonderful!!:D

Edited by suzyed

Thanks for sharing that! There is not a single thing there that I would not eat! Sounds wonderful!!:D

The food is fine - if you don't like something you can ask for a replacement. And if you do like something, you can order seconds :D I told our waiter once that I loved the rosemary potatoes and asked for extra servings which led to a plate being produced every night after piled high! I didn't mind so much as the portions can be on the small side and I only ever have 3 out of the 7 courses!

The waiters are really keen to ensure that you enjoy your meal and don't go hungry. We had a waiter on another cruise who would always have a second entrée waiting for my DH when he finished his first as he saw how much he enjoyed the food!

You can also ask if there are any alternatives to the set menu as sometimes they'll have prepared dishes to suit particular requirements. If you have issues with what's being offered, you can also speak to the m'D - I've heard that you can request certain items if you give them a day's notice.

I agree, sounds wonderful. Wonder if it'll be any different for New Years.... still, it sounds great anyway... so looking forward to our cruise.

I've not done new year, but on Christmas Eve the gala dinner was extra special - they really pushed the boat out so to speak!

If you like coffee cake, if they ever have Opera cake as a dessert, definitely go for it. It's one of my favourite things to bake but theirs beats it hands down!

I've not done new year, but on Christmas Eve the gala dinner was extra special - they really pushed the boat out so to speak!

If you like coffee cake, if they ever have Opera cake as a dessert, definitely go for it. It's one of my favourite things to bake but theirs beats it hands down!

Wow, thanks for that ;) I love coffee cake so Opera cake? sounds good. I'm sure we'll have a lot of fun on the NYE cruise.

I am a pescetarian, so I will eat eggs, dairy and fish/seafood, but no meat or anything made with meat products. On Celebrity, which we have cruised most recently, I was able to ask for a vegetarian menu each evening, in addition to that day's menu. Does MSC offer something similar? If not, should I discuss my dietary preferences with the dining staff the first evening just to make sure there are enough options for me?