Is HAL moving away from providing opportunities for dancing?

Carnevale

There has been a lot of discussion about the lack of ballroom dancing on Koningsdam but we've been hoping the dance opportunities we've enjoyed on other HAL ships will continue. For example, last August we had a wonderful time on Noordam with a fabulous group playing in the Ocean Bar and lots of people either dancing or coming to watch others dance. However, a post on another thread mentioned changes to the music in the Ocean Bar on NA that sounds like dancing isn't now a daily activity.

I'm wondering if those who have been on HAL recently can post info on whether dancing is continuing or if HAL seems to be moving away from it across the fleet. In particular, I'm wondering about experiences on ms Westerdam. We currently have a booking for Oct with final payment at the end of the month. If dancing isn't a daily option on this ship anymore we will cancel and book elsewhere so any observations that other CCers can offer will be very helpful..

We know dancing isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it is to us and, with limited time and budgets for vacations it is important that we find a ship that offers what we value when we cruise. Until our K'dam cruise we could count on HAL to be one of our lines of choice. We hope this will continue as there is much to enjoy on HAL.

Any insights will be greatly appreciated.

We were on the redone Oosterdam for 24 days in May/June. During this time, we had the opportunity to visit with the Customer Relations Manager (only through social events, not any problems) and she told us the most frequent complaint now is the lack of a dance area.

Yes, the Queen's Lounge has a dance area, however, that is for the BB King group, which isn't really what the traditional dancers are wanting. There is now a piano player in the Ocean Bar, and although we didn't frequent it, I'm quite sure there was no dance floor. And I don't think one dances to a single piano...........

We were one the redone Eurodam earlier this year also and I think it was rather the same, although, I don't recall anything about the Ocean Bar and what its entertainment/dance floor was.

However, on both ships, we found the Lincoln Center Stage group and BB King groups outstanding!!! But then, we are not dancers.

Perhaps it there are enough complaints about this lack, there will be changes made to the Nieuw Statendam or rethinks on the other ships.

My view is that HAL has been moving away from providing dance venues for years now. Over 22 years we've seen them go from crew/staff bands to contract bands to virtually no bands or limited bands now. I can and do recommend HAL but not because of their entertainment.

There has been a lot of discussion about the lack of ballroom dancing on Koningsdam but we've been hoping the dance opportunities we've enjoyed on other HAL ships will continue. For example, last August we had a wonderful time on Noordam with a fabulous group playing in the Ocean Bar and lots of people either dancing or coming to watch others dance. However, a post on another thread mentioned changes to the music in the Ocean Bar on NA that sounds like dancing isn't now a daily activity.

I'm wondering if those who have been on HAL recently can post info on whether dancing is continuing or if HAL seems to be moving away from it across the fleet. In particular, I'm wondering about experiences on ms Westerdam. We currently have a booking for Oct with final payment at the end of the month. If dancing isn't a daily option on this ship anymore we will cancel and book elsewhere so any observations that other CCers can offer will be very helpful..

We know dancing isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it is to us and, with limited time and budgets for vacations it is important that we find a ship that offers what we value when we cruise. Until our K'dam cruise we could count on HAL to be one of our lines of choice. We hope this will continue as there is much to enjoy on HAL.

Any insights will be greatly appreciated.

We aren't dancers, but found the band that used to play the dance music (The Neptunes) also played some great jazz sets. We would listen to the dance music, too. BB King's arrival meant the end of the Neptunes. Supposedly the "house band" (a new version of the Hellcats) takes the place of the Neptunes for playing in the bars. But they don't play for dancers and aren't half the quality of the Neptunes.

If you like to dance, try Cunard. They offer dancing to a live orchestra, plus recorded music for "strict tempo" dancing. They even sometimes have dancing at afternoon tea. Queen Mary 2 has the largest dance floor at sea!

It wasn't all that many years ago that every HAL trans-At cruise was a Big Band cruise. Oh! The dancing! Every sea day (and there were a lot of them on a trans-At) had two full hours of dancing around the pool at lunch time. There was a tea dansant or two, sometimes the big band played at pre-dinner cocktail time, and then there were the evening performances.

You don't see that on the ships anymore. On my last cruise there wasn't even pre-dinner dancing in the Ocean Bar every night.

So, yes, it certainly does seem that HAL is moving away from dancing.

We boarded the Westerdam in April 2016 for 33 days.

tons of dancing. Not counting the black and white ball (and boy did we dance :) ), there was dancing every night pre-dinner (and people dancing including the dancers), dancing after dinner, etc.

If you are lucky enough to be on with Captain Van Eerten and the excellent staff he has, then all should be good ;). JMO and experience :)

Edited by kazu

Last March we had a fantastic band on our Trans Atlantic cruise , the Harry James Band on the Oosterdam who played 3 sessions each night in the crows nest . There were quite a few ballroom dancers present who specially came for Fred Radke and the Harry James Band . I was told they do that once or twice a year . Maybe ask HAL when this is schedueled again ?

On other ships we see some great dancing in the Ocean bar where a trio would be playing or in the crows nest with a DJ .

There is NO ballroom dancing on the Koningsdam that I saw just some jive or other modern stuff when BBking is playing (TOO LOUD ! )

We boarded the Westerdam in April 2016 for 33 days.

tons of dancing. Not counting the black and white ball (and boy did we dance :) ), there was dancing every night pre-dinner (and people dancing including the dancers), dancing after dinner, etc.

If you are lucky enough to be on with Captain Van Eerten and the excellent staff he has, then all should be good ;). JMO and experience :)

We had the same experience on the Westy in the fall of '12. There was pre and post dinner dancing. The band was HOT too, sax man Mark Anthony (I think was his name, Mark something) could BLOW.

I asked the band to do some John Coltrane and the TORE UP Giant Steps and Tinkle Trinkle (that's actually Thelonius Monk tune). They all took solos and did like 8 min version of each. To keep the dancers grooving the drummer laid down a beat that easily picked up by even the most rhythmically challenged (not atypical jazz beat), but plenty of the dancers left in a huff like John Colntrane wasn't from the exact era of all the other tunes they were playing. It was their loss fwiw as the band played GREAT & still laid about a killer dance groove.

Just off the Maasdam (7/4-18/2016) and there was an excellent Neptunes trio with Lucia at the piano. Dancing encouraged, but good listening too. However, the Neptunes seem to be gone on the ships with BB Kings, and at risk even on the others. Blaring BBK is not the same experience as trio jazz. Find ways to encourage HAL to preserve - and restore - the Neptunes.

Just off Westerdam Alaska cruise July 16Th. Daily Program listed The Band,7 to 10PM Ocean Bar. It's cocktails and dancing with The Band. Mellow music and did see people dancing. One night they also played between 5 and 6PM. The Ocean Bar is on both sides of the ship,split by theAtrium. On one side is the bar with comfortable chairs and sofas, on other side is the band and dance floor and comfortable seating. Bar staff covers both sides.

B.B.King did two or three shows in the evening in Queens Lounge.

Many thanks to those of you who posted info on the dancing opportunities on HAL - this is very useful info. I'm glad to hear there are still bands playing in the Ocean Bars on many of the older ships so that dancers can enjoy some activity on the floor. It will be sad if HAL does move away from dance times and leave it all to the BB Kings as that would support only non-ballroom dancing whereas what has been played in the Ocean Bar has allowed for many types of dancing on the cruises we've enjoyed (we've seen great swing dances, those who specialize in tango, some who want to free form, and many ballroom dancers - great variety!).

We were on the 21 day repositioning cruise -- right before Kazu's cruise.

Very little dancing. "The Band" was rarely in the Ocean Bar as they were part of the show lounge performances.

We have done this cruise a few other times -- and there used to be a Black and White Ball. We didn't have one this time.

We were on the 21 day repositioning cruise -- right before Kazu's cruise.

Very little dancing. "The Band" was rarely in the Ocean Bar as they were part of the show lounge performances.

We have done this cruise a few other times -- and there used to be a Black and White Ball. We didn't have one this time.

I wonder how one finds out which cruises offer dance opportunities and which don't do as much? It is so interesting that you had "very little dancing" and Kazu saw "tons". Sounds like the types of activities vary a lot from cruise to cruise. Any thoughts on how we might best anticipate which ones will provide the most dance time?

A lot depends on the captain and hotel director. There were also very few parties.

When we were on the Westerdam a couple of years ago with Captain van Eerten and a few years ago with Captain Harris we had lots of parties, lots of dancing and Black and White Balls.

The captain whom we had this past spring -- we saw only twice during the entire 21 days.