Need ideas about saving money on food in OSJ

FLUFFLULA

We will be staying at the Sheraton OSJ for two days before our cruise on Adventure OTS. We are cruising with family who are on a budget so we're looking for alternatives for meals that would decrease the cost for food, especially breakfast and lunch. So, we have a couple of questions.

1) Does the Sheraton OSJ have refrigerators/microwaves in the rooms? The information online doesn't state that they have them so I doubt it, but thought someone who has stayed there recently might know for sure.

2) Does the CVS near the Sheraton OSJ carry breakfast and/or lunch items, such as individual servings of heat and eat oatmeal, lunch sandwiches, salads, etc?

Thanks so much for any information or other suggestions you may have.

A quick look at the Sheraton OSJ website shows they have refrigerators and microwave ovens available FOR A CHARGE. The charges for these would most likely outweigh the want to keep things on the cheap.

Email the hotel and find out what their charge is. Decide if paying $40-100 for these is worth it (I have seen $20 each/day up to $50/day each item at various hotels).

you can probably pack a bunch of ramen noodles and instant oatmeal in suitcases before heading to San Juan.

One relatively inexpensive place to eat is la Fonda El Jibarito on Sol Street.

And walking around or a short taxi ride you can find street eats for lunch. In the Santurce neighborhood there's the Plaza del Mercados where you can find fresh fruits and local eateries selling to the residents of the neighborhood.

B arrachina has v ery m oderate prices.

Hmmm we had one of their famous ($) Pina Colada's ...glanced at their menu and didn't think their prices were so modest. We thought the Parrot Club was much better.

.... OR FOR LUNC H, FVOR THAAT MATTER?

Try Cafe Mallorca....La Bombonera for breakfast.... Parrot Club for lunch/dinner (they have food & drink specials and was our favorite place to eat.

Hmmm we had one of their famous ($) Pina Colada's ...glanced at their menu and didn't think their prices were so modest. We thought the Parrot Club was much better.

We are used to boston prices which surely are higher than you haVe in Kentucky as REall CRom our Time hwhen DH AND I WERE LIVING IN Kentucky AT fORT knOX. p AnyWHO WANT TO see if gtghe pri es are satisfactory to them perova ly can fcind a menu at ARcxhinna. cxom. WW

WhaT Do you call a 'high' prRICe for apina colada/? :d eVREYONE EVALUATES ACCORDINV TOTGHEIR COM FORT. I LIKE THEIR MOJITOS AND WE THOUGHYTYG YHED PRICE JUST FINE. wE HAEE LUNCHED AT pARROT CLUb OFR MrFE GTHASN 35 YEARS AND THINK IT 4LICIOUS T5HOUGVVH v ERY LOUD AT TIMES.

Edited by sail7seas

Whatdo you think a 'modegt' price pp forf lunch?that PRO VIDES MORE INFO Than, "hmmm" :)

what do you call a 'modesr price for lunchpp? That provides more info than 'hmmm'. :D

What do you call a modest pric e for lunch pp? That wwould tell us much more info than "hmm". :D

Edited by sail7seas

What do you call a modest pric e for lunch pp? That wwould tell us much more info than "hmm". :D

If the OP is looking to buy stuff at a drug store for meals (instant oatmeal, snack packs), anything over McDonalds will likely be considered too expensive. Probably no more than $3 for breakfast, $6 for lunch and $10 for dinner. Baranchina's is certainly not "modest" when looking at that. Most places sound out of their preferred price point. They could go to the Subway down the street and split a few of the 6" sandwiches for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. The kids could split one 3 ways, the adults 2 ways.

I would recommend The Parrot Club also, but given their finances, this would be out of their price range most likely. Probably anything over a $5 drink would be expensive for them. Even the classic mojito was $8. For the kids, maybe split something off of the $8.95 kids menu. For the adults, maybe split the $8 small nacho plate and the $12 taco appetizer plate - $10 each.

I suppose they could do something similar at Baranchina - Split one entree or two appetizers between the two adults and have the kids split something from the kids menu.

.... OR FOR LUNC H, FVOR THAAT MATTER?

We are used to boston prices which surely are higher than you haVe in Kentucky as REall CRom our Time hwhen DH AND I WERE LIVING IN Kentucky AT fORT knOX. p AnyWHO WANT TO see if gtghe pri es are satisfactory to them perova ly can fcind a menu at ARcxhinna. cxom. WW

WhaT Do you call a 'high' prRICe for apina colada/? :d eVREYONE EVALUATES ACCORDINV TOTGHEIR COM FORT. I LIKE THEIR MOJITOS AND WE THOUGHYTYG YHED PRICE JUST FINE. wE HAEE LUNCHED AT pARROT CLUb OFR MrFE GTHASN 35 YEARS AND THINK IT 4LICIOUS T5HOUGVVH v ERY LOUD AT TIMES.

Sorry...but I'm having trouble making out what you're trying to post...But I can tell you I don't live in Kentucky any longer (lived there as a child hence the "by way of") I now live in Southern California so I know high prices when I see them :rolleyes:

fc

If the OP is looking to buy stuff at a drug store for meals (instant oatmeal, snack packs), anything over McDonalds will likely be considered too expensive. Probably no more than $3 for breakfast, $6 for lunch and $10 for dinner. Baranchina's is certainly not "modest" when looking at that. Most places sound out of their preferred price point. They could go to the Subway down the street and split a few of the 6" sandwiches for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. The kids could split one 3 ways, the adults 2 ways.

I would recommend The Parrot Club also, but given their finances, this would be out of their price range most likely. Probably anything over a $5 drink would be expensive for them. Even the classic mojito was $8. For the kids, maybe split something off of the $8.95 kids menu. For the adults, maybe split the $8 small nacho plate and the $12 taco appetizer plate - $10 each.

I suppose they could do something similar aBaranchina - Split one entree or two appetizers between the two adults and have the kids split something from the kids menu.

Yes, if ghey want to eat from Walgreensa cvs, THEY REALLY ARE NOT LOOKING FOR RESTRAURANT Recommendations.. hOPE THEY FIND wHAT THEY WANT.

Edited by sail7seas

I suppose they could do something similar at Baranchina - Split one entree or two appetizers between the two adults and have the kids split something from the kids menu.

I noticed South Carolina and Kentucky on your sign in at top of your posts. I didn't see anything a bout California. Sorry I am hav ingt roubletyping. My hand is slowlly healing.

Anyone who wants to avoid my posts, can do so b y putting me on 'ignore.

Edited by sail7seas

I noticed South Carolina and Kentucky on your sign in at top of your posts. I didn't see anything a bout California. Sorry I am hav ing roublevgtyping. My hand is slowlyly healing.

Mine says "Southern California by way of Kentucky"

Sorry about your hand..and hope you heal quickly....but I find that no reason to put you on ignore...I save that for those that deserve it ;):)

Thanks for the suggestions. The "family" we are traveling with has had major and costly health issues this year, so they are wanting to enjoy the cruise but not spend a lot of money on food. Probably the CVS is a good choice to get breakfast and maybe sandwiches or Subway for lunch. Hopefully, we can do dinner at a nice, moderately priced restaurant.

Whynot do a little menu r eading on line in advance of your trip, picka p lace andttrerat them to a nice, lunch. Sounds like they would reaally enjoy that.

Edited by sail7seas

I noticed South Carolina and Kentucky on your sign in at top of your posts. I didn't see anything a bout California. Sorry I am hav ingt roubletyping. My hand is slowlly healing.

Sail7seas: It was not me. I've never been to Kentucky and I've only been to South Carolina on business.

I know about your hand - once I found out about it weeks ago, I take my time to read your posts to get what you are saying. No troubles at my end.

Yes, since the OP was looking for buying cheap food at Walgreens/CVS, unless they plan to "splurge" on a dinner, they won't find much that will allow something that doesn't require sharing dishes...

Whenever I travel I bring a box of cereal with me and buy milk once I get there. I wake up very early and there is usually no place open. If I'm going to a place that doesn't have refrigeration, I bring the little boxes of UHT milk. They don't need refrigeration.

The El Meson local fast food chain is, I think, cheaper than Subway and my budget friends liked it. It's near the Marshall's and grocery store mentioned in another post. They open pretty early for breakfast and remain open until at least early evening. They get very crowded.

Empanadas are cheap and filling. Mate on Calle San Francisco is very popular. I think empanadas are less than $5. They've been reviewed on TripAdvisor so check them out.