Input about which Zoo

OK just getting back to Featherdale - I haven't been there for quite some time, but always took OS visitors there to see the Orzstraaleen animals. I will have to check it out again.

Anyway, I was otherwise engaged as I took DW out for dinner to our local RSL, It was sort of like a night on a ship, except:

- I had to drive there & back

- I couldn't get any free drinks in the lounge, nor would they let me use my sea-pass

- what I ordered for dinner was sold out - the Barramonday proved to be popular it seems, so we got grilled perch (nice by the way)

- I had to go to the counter to order the food & PAY FOR IT

- no-one came with fresh bread rolls, or water, or topped up our drinks

- when the buzzer went off, I had to go over & collect the meals, and collect cutlery & paper napkins

- after dinner no house band, or any real entertainment - certainly no quest or marriage game

- no towel animals on the bed when we returned

- had a win on the pokies, so a cheap night. Never win on the pokies on-board:D

Cheers!

Can't argue with that.

I always suggest visitors get the ferry over then sky safari to the top, great views and a birds eye of where things are at the zoo, with the added benefit of walking down not up.

Loving all the great information we are getting on this board as well as the Australia/New Zealand destination board. Also fun learning another foreign language.:):):) How much time would you say we should allow to thoroughly enjoy the ferry rides and zoo? Also, any suggestions for a dinner spot before we take the ferry back? Keep in mind we will be in sightseeing clothes, so are not looking for a fancy place....maybe a pub or something similar. We assume that a ferry ride back in the dark might be nice with the skyline all lit up.

Can't give you advice about how long to allow for your zoo visit but I do know there are no restaurants for dinner around the ferry stop. The only ones are the ones within the zoo complex itself and, presumably, they close when (or before) the zoo closes.

For the best harbour ferry rides / dinner experience, I suggest catching a ferry to Manly in the late afternoon. Have a look around, have dinner (there are plenty of choices to suit all budgets) then catch the ferry back after sunset.

Manly has harbour beaches and the ocean beach and it's only a short walk between the two. My eldest GD loves the Manly Wharf Pub (just along from the ferry terminal) for dinner as you can watch the sunset. The food is quite decent there. There are a number of good cafes on the ocean side as well, and some in the streets between. If you want an upmarket seafood restaurant I recommend Garfish (opposite the Manly Wharf Pub). Hugos on teh ferry wharf is also excellent but pricey.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

OK just getting back to Featherdale - I haven't been there for quite some time, but always took OS visitors there to see the Orzstraaleen animals. I will have to check it out again.

Anyway, I was otherwise engaged as I took DW out for dinner to our local RSL, It was sort of like a night on a ship, except:

- I had to drive there & back

- I couldn't get any free drinks in the lounge, nor would they let me use my sea-pass

- what I ordered for dinner was sold out - the Barramonday proved to be popular it seems, so we got grilled perch (nice by the way)

- I had to go to the counter to order the food & PAY FOR IT

- no-one came with fresh bread rolls, or water, or topped up our drinks

- when the buzzer went off, I had to go over & collect the meals, and collect cutlery & paper napkins

- after dinner no house band, or any real entertainment - certainly no quest or marriage game

- no towel animals on the bed when we returned

- had a win on the pokies, so a cheap night. Never win on the pokies on-board:D

Cheers!

LOL, sounds like just about any night out that is not on the ship.

Australia Zoo is now so big you'd struggle to get around it in a full day never mind the shortened hours of a shore tour. Unless you're staying in the area you'd feel short changed. Some of the. Exhibits are fabulous but it's not a short day trip. Taronga would be much more achievable.

Loving all the great information we are getting on this board as well as the Australia/New Zealand destination board. Also fun learning another foreign language.:):):) How much time would you say we should allow to thoroughly enjoy the ferry rides and zoo? Also, any suggestions for a dinner spot before we take the ferry back? Keep in mind we will be in sightseeing clothes, so are not looking for a fancy place....maybe a pub or something similar. We assume that a ferry ride back in the dark might be nice with the skyline all lit up.

I think it need a full day.

Get the ferry back to Circular Quay and have dinner at one of the restaurants, or Cafes around the Quay or The Rocks.

I would think you need at least 1/2 a day to do Taronga and that may be skipping past some of the exhibits with only lingering at some of the animal enclosures. The ferry ride itself is around 15-20mins but of course there would be waiting times as well. The ferry to Manly is more like 30-40 mins and another 15 mins to get to the main beach.:D

Thank you OzKiwiJJ...Manley ferry sounds fun and the pub right up our alley!:D

Since you'll be in Sydney in February, when it can be quite warm, I'd suggest going to the zoo as early as you can. The animals will probably be more active in the mornings and less active in the heat of the afternoon.

Since you'll be in Sydney in February, when it can be quite warm, I'd suggest going to the zoo as early as you can. The animals will probably be more active in the mornings and less active in the heat of the afternoon.

I know the feeling.:D