Illusionarium Bites the Dust

djmess

Looks like there may be another entertainment casualty for Norwegian.

Apparently the Illusionarium ends as of Sept 18 on the Getaway. I'm sailing on Oct 2 and it has been removed from our entertainment options. Calls to NCL are saying that it ends on Sept 18.

I guess time will tell and we will see how this to plays out

We sail Sept 18, and I noticed earlier today it was no longer there for booking, as it previously had been. Guess that means there also won't be a magician show in Fat Cats later in the week either? Wonder what they'll use the room for now? Hope they decide to use it for something entertaining on our sailing, as I've never been in the room. Supper club free, with or without meal, as we had on Escape?

We thought Illusionarium was quite unique, and very entertaining, ditto the Cirque type show on another ship. Enjoyed them very much, although they could have just left off the meal.

On our Escape sailing, The Brat Pack show in the Dinner show venue was cancelled for the entire week with no previous notice. Found out on board. It's now a Theatre show, and free. They filled in the Dinner Show slots on our cruise with random things. Nothing we cared to try to see.

Maybe NCL has decided these Dinner Show venues are not a good idea for whatever reason, probably expense and revenue related, and will slowly phase them out as show contracts expire to be replaced with cheap entertainment as in days of old. I hope this is not the next shoe to drop on NCL. The entertainment is a big reason we book NCL.

Edited by punkincc

I am so upset by this.

I already posted about this in our roll call thread, but...grrrr. I'm usually a go-with-the-flow type and just take whatever happens, but this is really getting to a point where even I am getting annoyed.

I chose to book the Getaway solely for the fact that it had Legally Blonde as the entertainment. Now that's gone. So then I was like, "well, at least we can see the Illusionarium," and so they go and take that away, too. :(

The only way I would be okay with this is if they put something better (like The Brat Pack *cough* yes, I know I'm dreaming haha) in it's place. I loved that show on the Escape so much that I went to see it twice! And that was back when it wasn't a free show! haha

Anyway, yes, I'm disappointed. :(

I am so upset by this.

I already posted about this in our roll call thread, but...grrrr. I'm usually a go-with-the-flow type and just take whatever happens, but this is really getting to a point where even I am getting annoyed.

I chose to book the Getaway solely for the fact that it had Legally Blonde as the entertainment. Now that's gone. So then I was like, "well, at least we can see the Illusionarium," and so they go and take that away, too. :(

The only way I would be okay with this is if they put something better (like The Brat Pack *cough* yes, I know I'm dreaming haha) in it's place. I loved that show on the Escape so much that I went to see it twice! And that was back when it wasn't a free show! haha

Anyway, yes, I'm disappointed. :(

One consolation, if I'm remembering correctly, is that you now have Million Dollar Quartet in the theatre. We saw it on the Escape before it transferred to the Getaway and it is fabulous! Probably the only show seen on a ship that I will never forget, it's that good. Tastes vary, but blows Legally Blond out of the water, IMO.

We sail on Oct 16th. I just made reservations for this yesterday. Looking in my NCL account, it is still available to book. What gives? I paid in advance, am I going to get an email, at least, with an explanation and refund ?

One consolation, if I'm remembering correctly, is that you now have Million Dollar Quartet in the theatre. We saw it on the Escape before it transferred to the Getaway and it is fabulous! Probably the only show seen on a ship that I will never forget, it's that good. Tastes vary, but blows Legally Blond out of the water, IMO.

Thank you for trying to make me feel better. :)

I've heard it's a good show, and I'll likely see it while on board (especially now that it's the ONLY show that even holds an ounce of my interest), but unfortunately, I booked the Getaway specifically for Legally Blonde. The moment they announced that Legally Blonde was going to be headlining on the Getaway (months before Getaway was put into service), I knew I would be sailing that ship just so I could see that show live. I am a huge fan of Legally Blonde. I know the soundtrack by heart, I've seen the show numerous times (but only on video, not live), I even watched the "The Search For Elle Woods" competition show on MTV a few years back, etc.

Trust me when I say that even if other people think MDQ is better than Legally Blonde, odds are good that I won't be among them. I may enjoy it, but it just won't be the show I was dreaming to see. :(

The Illusionarium was the only show left that I was a little excited about, especially once Legally Blonde was removed. My sister and niece are both excited to see it, too.

So yeah, this is a really big bummer for me...and now I have to tell my sister and niece that both shows have since been removed. I'm not really looking forward to that. :/

Again, thank you for trying to cheer me up a little, though! Here's to hoping that you're right and MDQ surprises me! :)

We sail on Oct 16th. I just made reservations for this yesterday. Looking in my NCL account, it is still available to book. What gives? I paid in advance, am I going to get an email, at least, with an explanation and refund ?

I had already booked it, too...for my sister's birthday dinner. :(

So yeah, I have the same questions... I'm waiting for e-mail notification and/or a refund. So far, nothing. As soon as I get either of those things, I think I'll be e-mailing NCL. I'm sure they won't care, but hey, I'm just that disappointed.

Spoke with one of our nieces earlier, they like the Getaway but seen it twice already, so it's not a big deal for them ahead if they book again, maybe they will stay closer to homeport while considering other options as well :rolleyes:

Welcome to the "Takeaway" vis-a-vis the Norwegian "Edge" :D :eek: - can't really say one should be surprised, trending has been on the walls.

Enough said.

So, is there seating for more passengers in this room compared to Fat Cats or Headliners, for example? Could this be a great space for daytime events and/or nightclub, better than Bliss or the crowded Spice H20, maybe another beer Pub? I'm sure they weren't making the revenue they had hoped for, same with the Wine Lovers musical. I hope they have plans for its new use and let us know. They have adequate time to make decisions if not already so

NCL lacks evening entertainment/shows for family and especially tweens and teens. Illusionarium was a big hit with my 13yo nephew. A year later we sail the Escape with The Brat Pack(kids won't know those movies) and After Midnight (a period show). While those can both be good shows they'll likely make our 14yo yawn.

Thank you for trying to make me feel better. :)

I've heard it's a good show, and I'll likely see it while on board (especially now that it's the ONLY show that even holds an ounce of my interest), but unfortunately, I booked the Getaway specifically for Legally Blonde. The moment they announced that Legally Blonde was going to be headlining on the Getaway (months before Getaway was put into service), I knew I would be sailing that ship just so I could see that show live. I am a huge fan of Legally Blonde. I know the soundtrack by heart, I've seen the show numerous times (but only on video, not live), I even watched the "The Search For Elle Woods" competition show on MTV a few years back, etc.

Trust me when I say that even if other people think MDQ is better than Legally Blonde, odds are good that I won't be among them. I may enjoy it, but it just won't be the show I was dreaming to see. :(

The Illusionarium was the only show left that I was a little excited about, especially once Legally Blonde was removed. My sister and niece are both excited to see it, too.

So yeah, this is a really big bummer for me...and now I have to tell my sister and niece that both shows have since been removed. I'm not really looking forward to that. :/

Again, thank you for trying to cheer me up a little, though! Here's to hoping that you're right and MDQ surprises me! :)

I had already booked it, too...for my sister's birthday dinner. :(

So yeah, I have the same questions... I'm waiting for e-mail notification and/or a refund. So far, nothing. As soon as I get either of those things, I think I'll be e-mailing NCL. I'm sure they won't care, but hey, I'm just that disappointed.

If things go the way they have been lately you should get an email 2 weeks before your cruise and a refund about 3-4 months later.(tic)

Bill

If things go the way they have been lately you should get an email 2 weeks before your cruise and a refund about 3-4 months later.(tic)

Bill

Ha! You're probably right about that. lol

NCL lacks evening entertainment/shows for family and especially tweens and teens. Illusionarium was a big hit with my 13yo nephew. A year later we sail the Escape with The Brat Pack(kids won't know those movies) and After Midnight (a period show). While those can both be good shows they'll likely make our 14yo yawn.

I agree with this completely. My wife and I saw the Illusionarium show and thought it was great and my children would love it. We decided to sail the Escape last week instead of the Getaway and my children (14 year old twins) had zero desire to see any of the three shows on the Escape. I was thinking we would bring them on the Getaway instead of the Escape next time partly because of the Illusionarium because it would give them some nighttime entertainment. I think NCL is moving away from the family entertainment and gearing it towards adults. The Escape had 3 musicals and little for teens at night which was a bit of a let down.

I just checked, and I also can't find the Cirque Dreams and Dinner Jungle Fantasy listed anymore for my 9/25 sailing on the Breakaway. So it looks like I may be missing this show by one week...although no word yet from NCL and the reservation still shows on my trip summary?? :confused:

I love magic so I liked the show. However I never thought it was worth an extra fee. Some of the magicians did basic tricks that were entry level. The mentalist was the best act.

I am afraid to see what will replace it. I expect it to be lower budget. Over the years the Cirque Dreams act on Epic got really cheezy and not the high level quality it once was. It probably got too expensive in FDR's mind to pay for and keep 3 magicians and a mentalist on board for one show. This cost also killed the grammy expierence. NCL has/had the best entertainment at sea but cost cutting is hurting that claim. If FDR thinks fireworks are too expensive, who knows what will replace this show. I would not be surprised to see NCL swing towards the traditional cruise ship shows again. Everything else has been dramatically cut back and entertainment is a big cost.

Edited by david_sobe

We have seen the Cirque shows on Getaway, Breakaway and Epic. To tell you the truth, we thought they were just okay, and the food a bit less than okay!! It will be interesting to see what will replace Illusionarium. And if they are also removing Cirque Dreams from Breakaway, (as RunnyBabbit stated, as it disappeared from his/her reservation) it looks like the contract with Cirque may have ended/expired, and they are not renewing it - just as it happened with Legally Blond on GA.

The Cirque show is now gone from my 9/4 cruise on the Breakaway. It was listed a few days ago under entertainment. Kind of bummed - was looking forward to the show.

(Humors, tongue-in-cheek :p) spinning it for NCL, hmmm ... a computer glitch, a programming mixup (as they've been tweaking their website & making "changes" lately :eek:) Let's hope that's all. Refer to the cruise contract, right.

Anyone planning to call into NCL to ask directly :confused: - please do share & post if you find out. Otherwise, one could be watching NCL crew productions for entertainment instead, some are good :rolleyes:

But, IMO, it was getting very pricey with that nominal upcharge, surcharge, supplement or whatever it's labeled, plus the 18% - even if you don't book or need the premium, front row seating option. Saw it on the BA once in 2014 and enough, did not bother in 2015 or early this year.

Edited by mking8288