Very upset. Celebrity wifi price huge bait and switch

Kevincalls11

For a recent 12 night cruise on the Constellation, as Elite, we were offered a 30% discount for a 24/7 Internet plan. Thus, the $299 plan was offered at $210.

Well good for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just curious. We are fairly new cruisers and try to get as much info from everyone here. In reading this we decided to call Captain's Club to see about the internet package. The price was quoted cheaper than what he said it would be on board although it was the same price as listed on our "excursions" page. But he gave an additional 10% for being with Captain's Club. My question, did we receive that 10% because we called and went through Captain's Club or would it have happened if we had done it on line? Thanks.

I realize others received even better discounts but we wouldn't qualify for some of those.

Try it before you commit to unlimited. I wouldn't have paid them $20, let alone $200+ for the quality on Silhouette in March. I could see no improvement from "XCellerate" being available, it was slow and WiFi connectivity was chronic.

Try it before you commit to unlimited. I wouldn't have paid them $20, let alone $200+ for the quality on Silhouette in March. I could see no improvement from "XCellerate" being available, it was slow and WiFi connectivity was chronic.

I'll keep saying this because it's so true: They should re-name it to "DeCelerate".

I would agree from my experience on Reflection. It was really frustrating to see the whirling and whirling and... Took forever to check messages. Very frustrating. After all, you are on vacation and enjoy yourself. At least I did not pay for it which was a relief! I felt sorry for those that had paid top dollar for the same experience. I believe it could partially be explained by the number of cruisers online.

Posted here a few days ago asking if it would be better to wait until we were on board for wifi. Celebrity's website said we could prepay $140 for Internet which is accurate with what I heard about 7 day sailings being $140 and anything over that $199. We waited since everyone here seemed to say there was no point doing it early. Well we start sailing and find out they are charging $239.99 for wifi.

So ticked off right now and wish I didn't need this crap service for work.

Based on your post, the decision to wait was yours. The information you got was from Cruise Critic. So I don't understand why you are blaming Celebrity.

Bait and switch is exactly what happened to the OP.

Bait and switch is advertising one price for an item and then upon arriving to buy said item it's a different price or they're offering something similar at a higher price.

if the OP had a choice between spending $140 pre-cruise or waiting until on board to pay $199 only to be hit with a $239 price, it's bait and switch.

No bait and switch.

They advertised when you buy online. He didn't buy online.

They didn't guarantee that all pricing was the same online and onboard. Lots of things have different prices in different forms. The OP even indicated he asked the forum in advance indicating he is aware of the pricing variations.

This wasn't bait and switch. The choice was $140 pre cruise vs. $199 on board - as advertised. The OP hoped for an even larger on board discount and waited, based on advice on here, and is now disappointed there is no such discount - so he has to pay $199. On top of that, he has to pay the on board VAT which makes it $239 - which is unfortunate. Just the VAT alone makes it worth to buy pre-cruise, unless the OP is from outside the EU and plans to claim all the VAT back at the end of his trip.

This wasn't bait and switch. The choice was $140 pre cruise vs. $199 on board - as advertised. The OP hoped for an even larger on board discount and waited, based on advice on here, and is now disappointed there is no such discount - so he has to pay $199. On top of that, he has to pay the on board VAT which makes it $239 - which is unfortunate. Just the VAT alone makes it worth to buy pre-cruise, unless the OP is from outside the EU and plans to claim all the VAT back at the end of his trip.

It seems to me that the majority of the advice was to pre purchase the package and they decided against that hoping for the bigger discount. In addition, any on board purchases of services cannot be claimed back despite being outside of the EU.

I booked unlimited internet yesterday for our cruise this weekend through Captain's Club and got the CC discount. I asked them to check the onboard price for our 14 night cruise and it was 299$. I paid considerably less than that, even taking the discount into account.

I did try first to book online but there didn't seem to be a facility for Captain's Club discount but in actual fact the price that showed up online included the discount and was identical to the price I bought at.

So. Just to add to this. Do not forget to factor in the EU VAT! I booked on the ship to use some of my OBC. BAD IDEA. It cost me an extra $45 due to the VAT.

I understand that it is not an X thing. Nor am I mad about it. It is what it is. I forgot about the tax. Shame on me.

I'll keep saying this because it's so true: They should re-name it to "DeCelerate".

I would agree from my experience on Reflection. It was really frustrating to see the whirling and whirling and... Took forever to check messages. Very frustrating. After all, you are on vacation and enjoy yourself. At least I did not pay for it which was a relief! I felt sorry for those that had paid top dollar for the same experience. I believe it could partially be explained by the number of cruisers online.

The bottom line is you are on a moving target. Shippernet - no matter what they call it - is NEVER going to be as fast at sea as it is on land. Period.

I'm just wondering why Celebrity Solstice unlimited internet offer for its Alaska sailings is $179.00, not $140.

Celebrity's internet is really expensive, on her sister company Royal Caribbean, the unlimited VOOM internet price is $12/day.

I booked unlimited internet yesterday for our cruise this weekend through Captain's Club and got the CC discount. I asked them to check the onboard price for our 14 night cruise and it was 299$. I paid considerably less than that, even taking the discount into account.

I did try first to book online but there didn't seem to be a facility for Captain's Club discount but in actual fact the price that showed up online included the discount and was identical to the price I bought at.

We called cc because of comments here. The $299 was the original amount but $169 was listed on the net. When we talked to cc, he gave the discount that our status affords at this point. Don't know if the system would have picked up on that had we not called.

I think the internet is an item that some see as a luxury and others as a requirement. The Connie's speeds were quite good however we opted (picked a different perk) not to have it for the second cruise as the expense was not value for us. In other words, unless it is coming with all the perks, I would opt for the drinks, the Grats or the OBC first.

Edited by MicCanberra

We called cc because of comments here. The $299 was the original amount but $169 was listed on the net. When we talked to cc, he gave the discount that our status affords at this point. Don't know if the system would have picked up on that had we not called.

Are you saying the standard price without discount was $169? If this is the case there is a huge discrepancy between the prices on the US site and the UK site because I paid a lot more than $169. I suppose the other important question is when did you book it and in particular how close to your sailing date?

This whole internet pricing thing is confusing me greatly.

And for fun...:)

I think the Drink Package is an item that some see as a luxury and others as a requirement. The Connie's drinks were quite good however we opted (picked a different perk) not to have it for the second cruise as the expense was not value for us. In other words, unless it is coming with all the perks, I would opt for the internet, the Grats or the OBC first.

Ok guys you don't have to argue over whether or not this was illegal. Nonetheless I meant that it feels like a bait and switch. Website offered $140. also both celebrity and our TA confirmed this would be the on board price on the phone before we sailed. Idk if that is legal or not but sure I could see celebrity having a price for prepay and a price on board now in hindsight. Still mad though that they don't advertise $140 as a discount and upset that I listened to everyone on CC and the CC boards. I went to guest services and told them I spoke to a customer service rep but they pretty much told me I was SOL unless I could show them the call or name of person I spoke to which I did not have. I have my phone off to avoid roaming charges so maybe that will be a battle for another day.

They also never credited $100 in OBC to our account. Took me two days at guest services before they realized and apologized for their mistake. Feel like I've spent half of my vacation at sea at the desk. So ticked off with celebrity right now.

Edited by Kevincalls11

Ok guys you don't have to argue over whether or not this was illegal. Nonetheless I meant that it feels like a bait and switch. Website offered $140. also both celebrity and our TA confirmed this would be the on board price on the phone before we sailed. Idk if that is legal or not but sure I could see celebrity having a price for prepay and a price on board now in hindsight. Still mad though that they don't advertise $140 as a discount and upset that I listened to everyone on CC and the CC boards. I went to guest services and told them I spoke to a customer service rep but they pretty much told me I was SOL unless I could show them the call or name of person I spoke to which I did not have. I have my phone off to avoid roaming charges so maybe that will be a battle for another day.

I am sorry that you got stung but perhaps put it down to a lesson learnt for the future and move on . Enjoy your cruise otherwise this may become bigger than Ben Hur and ruin everything on the cruise for you.

Are you saying the standard price without discount was $169? If this is the case there is a huge discrepancy between the prices on the US site and the UK site because I paid a lot more than $169. I suppose the other important question is when did you book it and in particular how close to your sailing date?

This whole internet pricing thing is confusing me greatly.

No, I think the cc said that the beginning price was $299. I guess they had dropped the price on the "manage" site to $269 and that's what we thought we would be paying. But when we called cc as suggested on here, he said we had a discount coming.

We booked it yesterday and our sail date is April 22, 2017 for 16 days.

I see where I typed the incorrect amount of $169 instead of $269! I do apologize. I have to admit, by this time and all the reading, my mind is turning to mush!

Edited by Preacherman46