Constellation vs Solstice class?

Eloise4Ever

Our first ever cruise was on Century in 2007 and we were blown away with the whole experience but since then all of our Celebrity cruises have been on S-class ships. As we are now looking at some interesting itineraries on Constellation I’ve been doing some research, trying to get a feel for the differences between S-class and M-class. We love the S-class design but I think that Constellation may in some ways remind us of the charm of Century. I’m aware that there won’t be all the bells and whistles of the S-class ships but I just have a couple of specific questions that I would appreciate some input on.

Size of Balcony cabin: I read that regular balcony cabins on M-class are smaller than S-class. Would love to hear from anyone who has experienced both – was the reduction in size noticeable or bothersome? I know I could book Concierge to get a bigger cabin but with the way Celebrity pricing is at the moment I’m not inclined to do that.

Shower: did I spot a dreaded shower curtain in a photo review of M-class? Please say it isn’t so!

Ocean Liners: I’ve read numerous comments saying Ocean Liners will be phased out on M-class. Anyone have any idea when that might happen on Constellation? (We are planning to sail in Autumn 2017.) I’m not fussed either way with Tuscan or Murano on S-class but the meals we enjoyed in Murano on Century were among the best we’ve ever had, at sea or ashore. Sounds like Ocean Liners might still have some of that special ambience and wonderful food so I would love to be able to try it.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can share with me :)

Personally, I wouldn't travel on Connie again. We didn't like her at all.

I do know people love her. Everyone has different tastes.

Give me a SV on Silhouette anyday.

Tomorrow perhaps? I can make it:D

We sailed on the Constellation last year and the Eclipse this year. I much preferred the constellation. Eclipse too big and noisy with loud music played in the atrium area most evenings which polluted the whole open area of bars, coffee bar, library, games room. I would never sail Solstice class again. Constellation is a terrific ship, perfect size, great crew, great food,and cleaner than the `eclipse

Personally, I wouldn't travel on Connie again. We didn't like her at all.

We sailed on the Constellation last year and the Eclipse this year. I much preferred the constellation.

Nothing like a consensus. :p

We sailed Constellation last year from Venice to Rome in a Concierge cabin. These definitely equate to the standard balcony cabins on the S-class ships without the overhead storage (more drawers). I vaguely remember that the other cabins are a little smaller but have good storage, if that is important.

Sadly, even in Concierge, there was a shower curtain. However, there is a line in the bathroom to hang wet clothes/swimwear to dry, which is a bonus.

We ate ashore at lunchtimes so never tried any of the restaurants other than MDR. However, the Martini bar has a view of the sea from the stools or the tables and chairs directly in the large bay window, which we loved. Cellar Masters was popular and comfortable.

The thalassotherapy pool in the solarium is also a wonderful experience and we wish the S-class ships had this too.

Overall, we loved our return experience and would recommend her.

We have been on Eclipse 3 times and were on Constellation this summer. On the whole preferred the Eclipse

Can't comment on cabin on Connie as we were moved into an accessible cabin - it had not been sold and they were anxious to fill it. It was in a great location, was a huge room and bathroom - shower had the dreaded curtain but it was so big that the curtain didn't worry us.

We had 2 meals in Tuscan Grill and 1 in Ocean liners. OL meal was poor - fillet steak wasn't cooked as requested, sea bass mediocre. TG food better but it was a dull space at top of the ship - we were there on one thundery night and restaurant was gloomy.

Buffet not laid out well on connie though good choices. I like poached eggs on toast for breakfast and had to queue for eggs then walk half the length of the buffet and queue for toast

MDR was dark and seemed quite old fashioned compared to eclipse MDR

I didn't like the bar areas so much on Connie and felt it lacked a foyer that you could sit in and be entertained in.

Staff friendly and helpful on the whole though

All things being equal I'd go on eclipse (and in fact I am going on her again in October)

We liked the Constellation except for the buffet lay-out. The veranda cabins are smaller than the ones on the S class. We noticed it as soon as we walked in the room- by day 2 didn't think about it. Better storage than S class.

Yes the showers has a shower curtain. We hated Ocean Liners-terrible service & mediocre food. Tuscan was wonderful.

We have cruises booked on both M-class & S-Class ships.

Like them both. Think each have their pros and cons. If you don't want a shower curtain on Connie, the newer AQ cabins on Deck 11 had doors not curtains. Love the pool deck on Millennium class. Solstice seemed to crowded for my liking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like them both, for different reasons. Have sailed in Summit in an Inside and recently on Connie in a Celebrity Suite [some contrast! thanks to softness in eastern Med bookings this year...] We have enjoyed every meal in the Ocean Liners--Normandie--Murano type restaurant, and had very inconsistent meals in Tuscan [on Connie it was a bust]. Really bummed that whenever the next drydock is, United States will be gone and replaced by Tuscan [not just menu, but also decor dumbed down to generic Italian steakhouse]. My guess is that the space up top where Tuscan is now will become Qsine. That may tip our preference from M-class to S-class, because those ships have all three choices plus the Hot Glass Show [not on Silly and Reflection, which are therefore not on our list]. But ... if you can swing a suite, it doesn't matter because Luminae is that good :)

We sailed on the Connie this past February for the 2nd time. We love the ship, and as you mentioned, it's a nice step from the S class back toward the Century,(which we loved). I think you will feel right at home.

I was very sad to hear about Ocean Liners being closed. It is a magnificent restaurant. A definite step down to go to a steakhouse, or whatever they are replacing it with.

Like them both. Think each have their pros and cons.

Like them both, for different reasons.

We agree with both of you! Constellation was our first cruise on Celebrity and remains our first love, it is like coming home! When shopping for a cruise we look at pricing first and itinerary second. We are happy on either M class or S class ship. :D

Century was our first Celebrity Ship - back in 2001. Enjoyed both the Eclipse & the Constellation. Ships are different - but very enjoyable. Upcoming we are booked on the Infinity & again on the Connie. Connie cabins do have shower curtains. I don't recall the size of the Eclipse rooms specifically - but the Connie was very comfortable. We had Concierge Class on both. Here's to a Fabulous Cruise!!

I have been on the Reflection and currently on the Constellation.

Had a regular aft facing on the Reflection and now a 2A balcony starboard side on the Connie.

I was afraid that the Constellation would be too small.

It is actually quite a good size.

Admittedly I have not tried the buffet yet.

I am travelling solo so it is nice to eat in the MDR as I have met some nice people to chat with.

The only thing that is noticeable to be is the sunset bar is also part of the buffet outdoor dining. So it could be busy.

Otherwise it is fine.

The main theatre is a great size and the seating layout works well.

Getting on and off the ship seems to move quickly.

Overall, I am happy. And looking forward to being back on the Constellation in October.

I personally find the standard balconies on M-Class ships to be uncomfortably narrow in depth. If you don't want to book a Concierge cabin with a larger balcony because of the pricing, look for a 2C "Sweet 16" (Cruise Critic term, not one used by Celebrity or most travel agents) cabin. These are double depth and will be more comfortable if you like relaxing on your balcony. These cabins are numbers 6021-6035 Port and 6016-6030 Starboard.

Thank you all for your insights and advice, it is much appreciated. We have pressed the button on a wonderful Adriatic/Med cruise on Constellation. Unfortunately the price was actually more than S-class sailings around the same time but the itinerary is amazing. I went with a regular balcony cabin but luckily I was able to get a "sweet 16" so the bigger balcony should help make up for the smaller cabin. We might upgrade to Concierge if pricing drops over the next year but if not, we are happy with what we have.

We are really stepping outside our comfort zone next year as we are also planning to sail on HAL for the first time to replace the Equinox transatlantic that Celebrity cancelled on us. We were going to rebook another X TA but then found that HAL are offering a free drinks package on TA's! That was too good to refuse and we'll also get to experience a new ship, Koningsdam.

Thanks again to everybody for your help in the decision making process :).