Traveling with Birth Certificate

AmandaK32

Hi! I am going on my friend cruise in September and I am using my birth certificate. I have my original birth certificate with the raised seal but it's older. [emoji4] Do I need to get an updated one before we travel or is the original ok to use?

Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi! I am going on my friend cruise in September and I am using my birth certificate. I have my original birth certificate with the raised seal but it's older. [emoji4] Do I need to get an updated one before we travel or is the original ok to use?

Thanks!!!

Birth certificates don't expire;) so you'll be fine.

Edited by sparks1093

That's all I travel with...mine is 35 years old...you don't need a new one if yours came from the Dept. of Vital statistics in your state.

Mine will be 33 years old haha it's hand written and my friend liked to inform me they don't make them that way anymore. Want to make sure, for this is my first cruise. [emoji1]

Mine will be 33 years old haha it's hand written and my friend liked to inform me they don't make them that way anymore. Want to make sure, for this is my first cruise. [emoji1]

Actually it wasn't too long ago that someone asked if a handwritten birth certificate would be accepted and while there were naysayers the OP was able to board with it (or his/her friend). The critical thing is that it is issued by a government agency and not a hospital.

Thanks!!!

Were you born again? Birth certificates are issued at the time of birth. People expect the birth certificate to be about the same age as you. The original should be fine.

I agree with Cuizer2, but wonder why you don't get a passport. Unless you are only doing a closed loop cruise, that would be required if you are a US citizen. You have plenty of time to get one and it is accepted on any cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would get a passport while you still have time. The birth certificate will be fine for a closed loop cruise. However, should anything happen, you would not be able to fly back without a passport. This can happen for a couple of reasons. When the cruise ship's engine failed that was in the news, they finally docked and flew he passengers back. The ones that did not have a passport had to contact the Embassy to get an emergency one issued which delayed them returning. Also, if you got injured and had to fly back, you'll run into the same problem. Finally, should an emergency occur back home and you need to fly back, you'll run into a problem without a passport. Just a heads up and something to think about...not a lecture.

I would get a passport while you still have time. The birth certificate will be fine for a closed loop cruise. However, should anything happen, you would not be able to fly back without a passport. This can happen for a couple of reasons. When the cruise ship's engine failed that was in the news, they finally docked and flew he passengers back. The ones that did not have a passport had to contact the Embassy to get an emergency one issued which delayed them returning. Also, if you got injured and had to fly back, you'll run into the same problem. Finally, should an emergency occur back home and you need to fly back, you'll run into a problem without a passport. Just a heads up and something to think about...not a lecture.

The passengers on the cruise ship you mention did not have to contact the Embassy, CBP issued them a letter allowing them to fly back. That's all it took.

t

Were you born again? Birth certificates are issued at the time of birth. People expect the birth certificate to be about the same age as you. The original should be fine.

Not quite....my birth certificate is about to be 56 years old and I am going on 36...:p

Edited by Elaine5715

Thanks!!!

As long as the photo on the birth certificate looks like you, there should be no problem.

The passengers on the cruise ship you mention did not have to contact the Embassy, CBP issued them a letter allowing them to fly back. That's all it took.

Not so smooth for an individual. Besides having to arrange transportation to the Consulate, you will have lodging costs until the required documents are collected and an emergency passport is issued. This process may take several days, cost you $$ and if you are caught without the financial means to pay for a hotel, you may be sleeping in a doorway.

Not so smooth for an individual. Besides having to arrange transportation to the Consulate, you will have lodging costs until the required documents are collected and an emergency passport is issued. This process may take several days, cost you $$ and if you are caught without the financial means to pay for a hotel, you may be sleeping in a doorway.

A better case for good travel insurance. Yes, there is a slight risk something could go wrong and you would need to obtain assistance getting home. If you aren't okay with the risk your choice is clear- get a passport. If you are okay with the risk then you are fine to use an alternative document. (Since you are traveling with your birth certificate and government issued ID you would have all the documentation that you need for an emergency passport except for the application which would be made available to you, you would need to get passport photos.)

You are able to get updated birth certificates at the health department. Mine is hand written and they don't make them like that now. lol

You are able to get updated birth certificates at the health department. Mine is hand written and they don't make them like that now. lol

And before paper was invented they had to chisel your birthdate into stone. As a result you couldn't change your birthdate because it really was written in stone. :)

Thanks!!!

The raised seal is the important part - we saw someone almost denied boarding due to a "funky" birth. certificate.

Make some copies to stuff in your luggage, we even have extra copies of our passports with us at all times.