New to Cunard - what are differences from P&O?

Traderboy

Thanks for this contribution, tartsnexile81.

It is interesting to get such a clear preference for P&O from someone who's just been on the remastered QM2.

Can others please say whether they have experienced vibrations and indeed why this vibration is happening.....

We are using the QM2 as a form of transport to Australia but we could also use P& O or Princess or even some of the others.

What are other peoples' thoughts on these issues?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Traderboy

It is interesting to get such a clear preference for P&O from someone who's just been on the remastered QM2.

Can others please say whether they have experienced vibrations and indeed why this vibration is happening.....

We are using the QM2 as a form of transport to Australia but we could also use P& O or Princess or even some of the others.

Are you not worried that the passage may sell out ?

I have just been Southampton-New York last month and was on Deck 5 forward. No vibration felt at all. I had a sheltered balcony and didn't like it at all. I always have a glass fronted one so will not be repeating that. I have sailed on Regent, Seabourn, Princess, P & O, Celebrity and Pullmatur and give me Cunard every time. Have been round the world on QE. I like the formality of Cunard and the class of passenger you get on their ships.

I personally was very disappointed in P & O. I thought the food was not to my taste at all. I think the chef thought he had a lot of old people on board and a lot of the food was "mashed", maybe he thought the old people had no teeth. A lot of zimmer frames and scooters parked in the gangways to the cabins. Didn't make me want to return.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and people must work out suits them before they book. Happy sailing everyone.

Regards Pat

Are you not worried that the passage may sell out ?

Ho pen bank

We are already booked on QM2 from Southampton to Sydney leaving on January 10.

This will be our first time on Cunard.

We have been on Deck 5 twice, the second time we were quite a long way aft and there was noticeably more vibration than further forward.

We were on a cruise rather than a TA and didn't find it particularly troublesome.

If you think you would be bothered it's probably better to avoid the aft.

Edited by Host Hattie

Thanks Hattie

We are on Deck 6 mid ships - should this be fine for lack of vibration?

On the dress codes - is there a 'smart casual ' category on Cunard? I noticed someone saying that men always have to have a jacket after 6 - is this correct of not? I'd rather not have to wear jacket on 46 consecutive nights........

Edited by Traderboy

wolfie789 is correct; in the evenings, for a man, a jacket is required if you intend to use the MDR or the many public rooms on board.

The exceptions are the self-serve buffet and the Carinthia Bar where a jacket isn't required. All other public areas (other than the open decks) require a jacket in the evening.

A friend recently did a complete world cruise with Cunard (Southampton-Southampton).

He tells me that each week he would add variety by using the MDR on formal nights, and on other nights alternate between the MDR (with jacket) and the buffet (sans jacket) (after dinner in the buffet he would walk on deck and then retire to the privacy of his cabin to read, listen to music or watch tv).

As I said, he did this to add variety for dining, not to avoid the jacket rule, on a long, long voyage. But I can see how it might help those who wish to avoid wearing a jacket every night.

Hope this helps :) .

Edited by pepperrn

We're usually forward on Deck 5 and don't feel vibrations, but if you walk down the corridors on 4/5/6 you'll discover some engine vibration as you walk through the area where the diesel exhausts pass inboard of the corridors on their way up to the stacks (similar vibrations/noise can be felt on 2 in the wall between the center corridor and the Golden Lion and in a similar place on 3). I'd opt not to book a stateroom in that zone of the ship on any deck.

We once booked as far back as 5208 (port side) and that area is a few decks below the engine air intakes (some sort of air intake. If not the engine room then perhaps the galley) just above deck 7. You could hear a certain whistle or "moan" on the balcony which eventually I heard in the same area on Deck 7 and could correlate to air intakes.

Thanks for the suggestion, pepperrn.

I have taken note of the dress requirement and have purchased a new dinner suit and a new lounge suit specially for our forthcoming cruise.

Am I right in thinking that the non-formal 'jacket required' evenings only require you to enter the public room in a jacket, not necessarily a tie? Also do some men remove their jackets in the restaurant if the general temperature is very hot?

Edited by Traderboy

Thanks for the suggestion, pepperrn.

I have taken note of the dress requirement and have purchased a new dinner suit and a new lounge suit specially for our forthcoming cruise.

Am I right in thinking that the non-formal 'jacket required' evenings only require you to enter the public room in a jacket, not necessarily a tie? Also do some men remove their jackets in the restaurant if the general temperature is very hot?

Hi Traderboy,

Yes, you are correct; on informal evenings a tie is not required.

You'll find that many men will wear a tie even on informal evenings. I do so myself (most of the time). However many won't. It is a matter of personal choice entirely.

I actually think a very well chosen shirt and jacket, sans tie, can look far smarter than some of the hideous neckwear I've seen on board :eek: .

Plain jet black shirt and jacket for example, looks great on most guys.

As for removing a jacket and putting it on the back of a chair... well, you do see guys do it, occasionally, it must be said (in my experience, mostly youngsters on the short 4/5 nighters in the channel).

The sight of sweat drenched armpits on shirts (that the owners are unaware of) is enough to spoil my appetite if I am sat opposite...

I'm afraid that I'm one of those who would never remove my jacket at dinner out of respect for my fellow tablemates. But you will see guys do it.

Hope this helps :) .

Edited by pepperrn

Thanks pepperrn for all these details about dress codes on Cunard.

Last year we were on the Arcadia world cruise expecting 3 different dress codes. However when we boarded we found that the 'jacket required' code had been abolished. I therefore took 2 jackets that I never wore. I think when you are in a very hot climate then there is a case for relaxing some of the rules. Does this happen on Cunard when the temperature outside is perhaps 40degrees?

What do others think?

Edited by Traderboy

Cruiseluvva makes a very god point I was going to mention.

Generally, regardless of the outside temperature, the interior of the ship is very much on the cool side (which is my preference. I can always add layers if needed).

One of my favourite things at sea on a warm/tropical evening is slowly strolling the wide teak promenade deck before or after dinner... with the sound of the ocean below... whilst dressed in either formal dinner suit, or dark suit and tie. Something totally different than I do at home. Love it :) .

There are many, many "casual" lines out there. Thankfully there is also Cunard.

Edited by pepperrn

Thanks pepperrn for all these details about dress codes on Cunard.

Last year we were on the Arcadia world cruise expecting 3 different dress codes. However when we boarded we found that the 'jacket required' code had been abolished. I therefore took 2 jackets that I never wore. I think when you are in a very hot climate then there is a case for relaxing some of the rules. Does this happen on Cunard when the temperature outside is perhaps 40degrees?

What do others think?

I'm surprised that, having taken a choice of jackets, they became redundant: after all, the option of not wearing a jacket isn't mandatory.

I choose to sail with many cruise lines, not just Cunard, many of which have a very relaxed dress code.

That still doesn't stop me dressing for the occasion, more often than not with a jacket...

15369825706_dfe1ca7084_z.jpg

Nice photo Richard.

There was a group of us on the Arcadia world cruise who intended to stick to the original 'jacket required' code. However it proved to be not easy to stick out from the crowd.

Surely that's the whole point of a dress code - so that everyone is attired in a similar style?

How would you have felt in the buffet, Richard?

Edited by Traderboy

Thanks Hattie

We are on Deck 6 mid ships - should this be fine for lack of vibration?

On the dress codes - is there a 'smart casual ' category on Cunard? I noticed someone saying that men always have to have a jacket after 6 - is this correct of not? I'd rather not have to wear jacket on 46 consecutive nights........

Our friends had a mid-ship on Deck 5 (5141?) and found it unbearable and the manager called to del with it agreed and they were moved. Also some of the balconies have a drain on them and there is a constant thumping which makes sitting on the balcony very unpleasant. the deck manager also agreed with this, and insisted maintenance try to solve the problem

We returned from 7nt on Queen Victoria which relaxed the need for a jacket on informal nights on the 1st and last nights only.

Was this under this regime ?

The Informal (Jacket Optional) dress code amendment applies to Queen Victoria's summer fly Mediterranean season on embarkation days only, in Athens, Barcelona, Rome and Venice. Queen Mary 2 and Queen Elizabeth will continue to have the standard Formal and Informal (Jacket Required) dress codes. The ship's newspaper will confirm the dress code of the day.

Guests who have Athens, Barcelona, Rome and Venice as a port during their voyage and are already settled in on board are encouraged to wear a jacket.

Was this under this regime ?

The Informal (Jacket Optional) dress code amendment applies to Queen Victoria's summer fly Mediterranean season on embarkation days only, in Athens, Barcelona, Rome and Venice. Queen Mary 2 and Queen Elizabeth will continue to have the standard Formal and Informal (Jacket Required) dress codes. The ship's newspaper will confirm the dress code of the day.

Guests who have Athens, Barcelona, Rome and Venice as a port during their voyage and are already settled in on board are encouraged to wear a jacket.

Yes, we boarded in Venice. The rationale is not clear to me. The online information did show this for the last night too.

The odd thing is that our last night was not everyone's last night as many passengers were on board for a mix of 2 or 7 further nights.

Many passengers just ignored Jacket Optional.

Nice photo Richard.

There was a group of us on the Arcadia world cruise who intended to stick to the original 'jacket required' code. However it proved to be not easy to stick out from the crowd.

Surely that's the whole point of a dress code - so that everyone is attired in a similar style?

How would you have felt in the buffet, Richard?

Good morning Traderboy.

Thank you for your kind comment.

Personally I've never been worried about 'sticking out' in a crowd so I guess your scenario wouldn't have affected me and very fortunately I have a wife who shares my sense of occasion.

As regards 'how would I have felt in the buffet', well I guess that would be the last place I'd choose to dine of an evening. Having said that I have always been more than happy to wander through the Kings Court of an evening heading between the Grills and the Royal Court Theatre.

A real insight into how others cruise.

Id still like to hear about the charges for the Canyon spa.

Also how does it compare to the spa on Arcadia?

I know about the dress code difference but what other differences will we experience?

I know about the dress code difference but what other differences will we experience?

You won't see as many 'tattoo's' on Cunard :D

Thanks gfs1ram, that'll be very welcome.

What about the mania for sitting on deck with little clothing - is this activity less evident?

Can you actually get a sun lounger when you want one?

Differences

There is one welcome you don't get on on P oor & O rdinary ;) and that is, every stateroom from an 'inside to a top duplex suite' you will receive an ice bucket of Fizz on arrival,including a Robe & slippers.

Re charges for Canyon Ranch. ..see my posting 44. Just look out for onboard deals.

Edited by Bell Boy