Do the thumb drives work in the internet cafes?

NoJolt4U

My wife is working on her Master Degree and has a paper due during our cruise. We want to avoid bringing her lap top if possilbe. Does anyone know if the thumb drives are open on the computers in the internet cafe? Ideally she just wants to bring the doc on a drive, tweak it if needed and then post it on her class web site. She was told she could not post early so we are thinking this may be the easiest way to access the doc

Edited by NoJolt4U

I took two cruises while also working on my Masters. The thumb drive worked for me just fine, or she could load her docs on the Microsoft One Cloud and not have to worry about using a thumb drive. I understand what she is going through, but it's nice to be able to still travel and finish school. All the best to her.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

The USB ports can be disabled for security reasons. I have no idea if they typically are on ship internet cafes though.

That was my point AdoraBelle. WIth cyber crime at an all time high, more and more companies offering computers to the public have locked the USB drives to prevent malicious software from entering their networks. Thanks for the response.

I took two cruises while also working on my Masters. The thumb drive worked for me just fine, or she could load her docs on the Microsoft One Cloud and not have to worry about using a thumb drive. I understand what she is going through, but it's nice to be able to still travel and finish school. All the best to her.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Thanks BencruzN. I think we will also upload her needed docs to my google drive and access it if the thumb drive is disabled. Maybe even email them to herself as a 3rd back up just to be on the safe side. Really hate to bring the computer. But a paper and multiple response postings are due during the week. All in all probably only a couple hours total will be needed during the week. But to your point, being able to cruise and still complete school is awesome.

Another point of view - if the USB ports are not disabled, I don't think I would want to plug a USB drive into a public computer. You have no way of knowing that computer is virus free. Your thumb drive could be infected and guess what happens when you plug it back in to your computer at home - yep, your home computer also gets infected.

If something that important needed to be taken care of on the cruise, I'd drag the computer along to be safe.

Another point of view - if the USB ports are not disabled, I don't think I would want to plug a USB drive into a public computer. You have no way of knowing that computer is virus free. Your thumb drive could be infected and guess what happens when you plug it back in to your computer at home - yep, your home computer also gets infected.

If something that important needed to be taken care of on the cruise, I'd drag the computer along to be safe.

I agree.... hauling along the laptop may be a hassle but for safety and security sake, that would be my recommendation.

For my own piece of mind, I would bite the bullet and bring her own. With something with such heavy consequence, I'd be enough of a mess worring about sketchy internet, much less not being able to access my documents.

Just what I would do if I were me. 😊

My wife is working on her Master Degree and has a paper due during our cruise. We want to avoid bringing her lap top if possilbe. Does anyone know if the thumb drives are open on the computers in the internet cafe? Ideally she just wants to bring the doc on a drive, tweak it if needed and then post it on her class web site. She was told she could not post early so we are thinking this may be the easiest way to access the doc

Google docs is a good option if you are set to not take your own computer. Just remember that you will be using a public computer that has who knows what kind of security on it and for it. Unfortunately the safest option would be to use your own, however, I know how big of an inconvenience that is.The other benefit of bringing your own is that y

she can work anywhere on the ship that is good for her and at whatever time works best.

I believe I read that the computers on board did not have Microsoft office loaded, so even if the USB ports were not disabled, there is no application to open view or edit a ms word document.

Google docs (which can handle Word files) is available "in the cloud".

not sure what you mean if "if thumb drives are open", if the computer has a USB port it will work

You will see the keyboard, monitor and wired mouse. No where is sight is the case with USB ports.

Edited by BallFour4

I agree with the others. Working from the cloud would likely be your best bet if not taking a laptop. Also, will the computer you use on the ship have Word or another word processing program installed to be able to edit the document? She might want to bring her own laptop. I'd have a back-up plan too for Internet access if needed. You might want to research Internet hot spots in the ports you'll be visiting. Internet access and coverage at sea can be very slow, unreliable, and spotty. Also, Carnival crew members are usually a good resource for locating good wifi in ports.

Good luck to your DW with her paper.

Edited by winddawn

Take the laptop. It will give you peace of mind and you can control when and where you work.

I had to drag paperwork on vacation for my desktop era Masters. A laptop would have been a godsend.

Being a college student, I would bring a thumb drive AND email a copy to myself. That way she has a back up.

Even if she can use a thumb drive in the internet cafe, they may not have any software that she can edit the paper with, so that needs to be kept in mind also.

Thanks all, you convinced me. Not going to take a chance. Hate to lug the thing around but I am going to bring the laptop and not worry.

Do you find the wifi seems to be ok in your room? We are going to be on deck 11 balcony so hoping there will not be AS much interference from the bridge, radar, etc...

Not if you are intelligent enough to have a good AV package installed and kept up to date. FYI most free AV software is worth exactly what you pay for it.