Is there an advantage of booking with online agent v RCCL vacation planner?

laedw

Some family members have booked a May 2017 cruise on Harmony of the Seas with an online agent. I am a RCCL Emerald member and have always booked with a RCCL vacation planner. I'm wondering what's the advantage of booking with an online agent as opposed to booking directly with a RCCL vacation planner? I know the disadvantage of booking with an online travel agent is I cannot make any changes to my booking with a RCCL representative; the agent has to do that. So what's the advantage? :confused:

You would have to consult the travel agent to find out the perks, if any. Typical perks would be OBC, free gratuities, free specialty restaurant, etc. Some have reserved blocks of staterooms when prices were lower, so you would get the benefit of lower prices. I use a TA because of excellent service. If I want something done, I send her an email and that's it. I don't have to wait on hold or deal with Royal's flakey website.

We've used the same TA for years. He knows WHERE we want our cabins, checks to make sure they aren't over/under something. He's also come up with some great ways for us to save. One year we each had 2 adults and one teen in each cabin (total of 2 cabins). He called me and said we could book it cheaper to give the teens a promenade cabin across from us and he was right. I don't have to sweat doing this myself. He specializes in cruises and knows the ships. Many/most TA also give you a gift, since they can no longer offer you a discount. It can be anything from an OBC (like ours does) or wine sent to your cabin, dinner at a Specialty restaurant, massage, etc. Ours also ALWAYS has cupcakes waiting in the cabin for me..lol.

I vary. I prefer to book directly through the cruise. However, sometimes it's cheaper with travel agents and diff OBCs.

My last cruise with NCL I got the cruise about 40% cheaper through a TA! My upcoming RCCL in March was a couple hundred cheaper. But also, which I found interesting...I'm on the Oasis and wanted a Boardwalk balcony. On RCCL, all they offered was a couple rooms far away near towards the front or one balcony near the aft that was several hundred higher. I checked with the TA just to see what they had. She got me one right next to that room and it was a couple hundred cheaper than RCCL offered, plus she had an OBC so I went with that.

If the deal isn't better with TAs then I go through the main site. I don't know if all TAs are the same, but I just have two online ones that I use. I can still make my reservations to shows and restaurants myself. Any changes to the actual cruise, they have to do.

We've used the same TA for years. He knows WHERE we want our cabins, checks to make sure they aren't over/under something. ...

Excellent point, which I neglected to mention. The TA knows our preferences, so we won't have to specify all that stuff, such as dining, beds, insurance, linking, etc.

I vary. I prefer to book directly through the cruise. However, sometimes it's cheaper with travel agents and diff OBCs.

My last cruise with NCL I got the cruise about 40% cheaper through a TA! My upcoming RCCL in March was a couple hundred cheaper. But also, which I found interesting...I'm on the Oasis and wanted a Boardwalk balcony. On RCCL, all they offered was a couple rooms far away near towards the front or one balcony near the aft that was several hundred higher. I checked with the TA just to see what they had. She got me one right next to that room and it was a couple hundred cheaper than RCCL offered, plus she had an OBC so I went with that.

If the deal isn't better with TAs then I go through the main site. I don't know if all TAs are the same, but I just have two online ones that I use. I can still make my reservations to shows and restaurants myself. Any changes to the actual cruise, they have to do.

I booked an oceanview studio on Harmony for the May 2017 sailing with a RCCL vacation planner (30% off and single special). I also received $25 off the total price. I'm waiting to hear from the online agent that booked my family. Since I'm not sharing my cabin, I thought $4500 for an oceanview balcony cabin was a bit pricey. :eek:

As Bob mentioned we have used our local TA for years. I call to specify the cruise and dates & cabin. That is all I need to do as they take care of everything else. We may not get all the perks some larger TA offices provide but for us it is all about their Service, Honesty and looking out for our booking that is important to us. I had email our TA regarding the same cabin opening up on our 2nd cruise of a b2b and she called me back Monday AM that the move had been taken care, and a new invoice emailed to me within 5 min. So now we are in the same cabin for both cruises.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

I booked an oceanview studio on Harmony for the May 2017 sailing with a RCCL vacation planner (30% off and single special). I also received $25 off the total price. I'm waiting to hear from the online agent that booked my family. Since I'm not sharing my cabin, I thought $4500 for an oceanview balcony cabin was a bit pricey. :eek:

I want to go on Harmoney SO BAD! No matter how I look it up its just crazy expensive and out of my range. I hope you enjoy, I'm jealous!

Edited by Mirrasi

I've done it both ways. The price is usually the same whether you book directly through the cruise line or through a travel agent. The difference is in the perks. The cruise line will only give you the current advertised promotion (BOGO, kids sail free, 30% off, $100 OBC, etc.). If you use a travel agent, you still get those same advertised promos, plus some other promos unique to that agency. For example, I just booked an RCL cruise through an agent and I got the advertised 30% off promo, plus I got $325 in OBC from the travel agency. Sweet!

Edited by wtang

Extra OBC.

I book with a big box membership store, and get OBC.

I never really have questions, and the only thing I ever need to contact Royal about is DH's CPAP (which I can do directly without needing the TA), we never change rooms, and the one time I thought I was going to cancel a cruise the agent was awesome and suggested just moving it instead, and kept the onboard booking credit etc.

I've done it both ways. The price is usually the same whether you book directly through the cruise line or through a travel agent. The difference is in the perks. The cruise line will only give you the current advertised promotion (BOGO, kids sail free, 30% off, $100 OBC, etc.). If you use a travel agent, you still get those same advertised promos, plus some other promos unique to that agency. For example, I just booked an RCL cruise through an agent and I got the advertised 30% off promo, plus I got $325 in OBC from the travel agency. Sweet!

Now that's a deal. Unfortunately, when I spoke with my travel agent that booked my family's cabins, she did not seem too enthused to offer me anything after I told her I am sailing with my family but I wanted a cabin for solo occupancy. She said she only had promotions for double occupancy cabins. :( I know you can't name travel agents or agency, but are there travel agents out there that offer great perks to people traveling solo?

Some family members have booked a May 2017 cruise on Harmony of the Seas with an online agent. I am a RCCL Emerald member and have always booked with a RCCL vacation planner. I'm wondering what's the advantage of booking with an online agent as opposed to booking directly with a RCCL vacation planner? I know the disadvantage of booking with an online travel agent is I cannot make any changes to my booking with a RCCL representative; the agent has to do that. So what's the advantage? :confused:

I always book with a travel agent. Although I booked a Celebrity cruise departing April 2017 I was able to get a lower price than the brochure price because the travel agent books a block of rooms. The TA also gave me on board credits in addition to the cruise line promotion on board credits. Originally Celebrity offered a promotion of one promotion for "free." I just noticed searching through another website that for the same cost I could get two promotions. I also found that there was a better cabin on the other website that Celebrity didn't offer. I called my TA and they were able to add the second promotion and change my cabin to that I requested. Hooray for travel agents.

Edited by shrifk

We've used the same TA for years. He knows WHERE we want our cabins, checks to make sure they aren't over/under something. He's also come up with some great ways for us to save. One year we each had 2 adults and one teen in each cabin (total of 2 cabins). He called me and said we could book it cheaper to give the teens a promenade cabin across from us and he was right. I don't have to sweat doing this myself. He specializes in cruises and knows the ships. Many/most TA also give you a gift, since they can no longer offer you a discount. It can be anything from an OBC (like ours does) or wine sent to your cabin, dinner at a Specialty restaurant, massage, etc. Ours also ALWAYS has cupcakes waiting in the cabin for me..lol.

CUPCAKES?!?!? :eek::eek: Oh my stars! Who do you use?? LOL I first thought of doing TA, but when I googled local ones, none had any good reviews..... so I opted for calling RCI direct. I did call with the new 30% off, and it lowered my overall bill by $600 but I have ZERO OBC..... :(

Edited by butterfly529

A good TA can be invaluable, and can offer perks and promos that you won't get through the cruise line. The keyword here is "Good." Many online agencies won't even take phone calls. The only way to communicate with them is via email. This is fine....as long as you don't run into any problems. If you do, however, this only compounds them.

Find a TA that offers excellent service and does enough cruise business to have access to those perks and promos.

While you can sometimes get better deals using a TA than you can by booking direct, you can never get better deals by booking direct than you can with a TA. (Cruise lines are not allowed to offer lower prices to the public than what they offer TAs.)

Finally, if you take advantage of the discount for booking on board, that reservation can always be transferred to your TA for follow-up and servicing.

• 2 weeks later...

A TA offered me an oceanview balcony at a good rate (the name of the second guest is not listed). I'm not sure if I should chance it. What happens once I make final payment and there is still no second guest?

Edited by laedw
delete

A good TA can be invaluable, and can offer perks and promos that you won't get through the cruise line. The keyword here is "Good." Many online agencies won't even take phone calls. The only way to communicate with them is via email. This is fine....as long as you don't run into any problems. If you do, however, this only compounds them.

Find a TA that offers excellent service and does enough cruise business to have access to those perks and promos.

While you can sometimes get better deals using a TA than you can by booking direct, you can never get better deals by booking direct than you can with a TA. (Cruise lines are not allowed to offer lower prices to the public than what they offer TAs.)

Finally, if you take advantage of the discount for booking on board, that reservation can always be transferred to your TA for follow-up and servicing.

A TA offered me an oceanview balcony at a good rate (the name of the second guest is not listed). I'm not sure if I should chance it. What happens once I make final payment and there is still no second guest? :confused:

A TA offered me an oceanview balcony at a good rate (the name of the second guest is not listed). I'm not sure if I should chance it. What happens once I make final payment and there is still no second guest? :confused:

Just put any name down as a second guest. You can change that name up until 24 hours prior to sailing without any charges. If at sailing you are still going solo just get to the pier and report your fictional second guest as a no show. You will be refunded the second persons taxes and fees.

As long as you are prepared to sail solo and pay the full fare for the cabin as if it had 2 people in it this is the way to go.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Is the OP talking about a TA or RC vacation planner?

I had a courtesy hold on an upcoming sailing and a RC vacation planner called me to follow up. She was able to offer a lower deposit and an onboard welcome gift if I booked. I made the reservation and switched it to a TA so I can I say if there was any real benefit.

You would have to consult the travel agent to find out the perks, if any. Typical perks would be OBC, free gratuities, free specialty restaurant, etc. Some have reserved blocks of staterooms when prices were lower, so you would get the benefit of lower prices. I use a TA because of excellent service. If I want something done, I send her an email and that's it. I don't have to wait on hold or deal with Royal's flakey website.

I'm in the process of transferring my booking to a travel agent and the cost summary she emailed me shows port charges ($450):eek: and tax ($110). I thought taxes, fees, and port expenses are included in the tax ($110)? Am I wrong?

I'm in the process of transferring my booking to a travel agent and the cost summary she emailed me shows port charges ($450):eek: and tax ($110). I thought taxes, fees, and port expenses are included in the tax ($110)? Am I wrong?

You've got to look at the bottom line when comparing prices between a TA and RC's website.

The TA includes something called non-commissionable fees (NCF) in the taxes and fees, whereas RC includes the NCF in the quoted price before taxes. The total price should be equal.