NOROVIRUS - CRUISE LINE "GUILTY" - compo to pax

In relation to the previous thread below about about 19 cases of Princess noro against 2 cases on the Carnival -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showthread.php?t=2320573&highlight=norovirus

- this interesting short item, quoted in full, has just been reported in the Cruise Weekly newsletter. And, surprisingly, the 'guilty' cruise line was not the one that sails here.

"FRED.OLSEN Cruise Lines has been ordered to provide compensation to 16 passengers for the distress they suffered as a result of a norovirus outbreak during a cruise five years ago. A British Court of Appeal has dismissed a claim by Fred.Olsen attempting to overturn a 2015 ruling which found the cruise line was guilty of neglect for the outbreak.

The cruise line said it was “extremely disappointed” by the decision, with a spokesperson saying Fred.Olsen believes it had made “every reasonable effort, in accordance with its approved norovirus outbreak prevention and control plan, to prevent and contain the virus on board Boudicca”.

Law firm Irwin Mitchell, which represented the plaintiffs, said it had already secured settlements for other clients who were affected by the norovirus."

So does it mean that the cruise lines will now have to take more care to enforce the hand washing and other aspects of the hygiene on board (bearing in mind the strong responsibility of the paxs, of course - and assuming that their food preparation complies with the required standards)??

In relation to the previous thread below about about 19 cases of Princess noro against 2 cases on the Carnival -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/showthread.php?t=2320573&highlight=norovirus

- this interesting short item, quoted in full, has just been reported in the Cruise Weekly newsletter. And, surprisingly, the 'guilty' cruise line was not the one that sails here.

"FRED.OLSEN Cruise Lines has been ordered to provide compensation to 16 passengers for the distress they suffered as a result of a norovirus outbreak during a cruise five years ago. A British Court of Appeal has dismissed a claim by Fred.Olsen attempting to overturn a 2015 ruling which found the cruise line was guilty of neglect for the outbreak.

The cruise line said it was “extremely disappointed” by the decision, with a spokesperson saying Fred.Olsen believes it had made “every reasonable effort, in accordance with its approved norovirus outbreak prevention and control plan, to prevent and contain the virus on board Boudicca”.

Law firm Irwin Mitchell, which represented the plaintiffs, said it had already secured settlements for other clients who were affected by the norovirus."

So does it mean that the cruise lines will now have to take more care to enforce the hand washing and other aspects of the hygiene on board (bearing in mind the strong responsibility of the paxs, of course - and assuming that their food preparation complies with the required standards)??

what a load of BS....a lot of passengers dont wash their hands after being to the loo

And, surprisingly, the 'guilty' cruise line was not the one that sails here.

Not really. Regulations, and the law, are different in different parts of the world.

This is from a British court so is not about Australian ships, nor Australian bookings.

The only possible consideration is, if anything was to change, then it may flow on in some limited way.

Keep in mind any practice flowing from this that increases costs for the cruise line may either have a negative impact on service to passengers e.g. increased delays in getting food from the buffet, or reduced staffing due to staff needed to do extra work elsewhere, or cost which may be passed on as much as any business would try to minimise.

It's not something to be celebrating off hand.

The main thing that they can do is enforce hygiene standards onto the passengers. If a passenger refuses to wash their hands and or use sanitisers prior to entering the buffet or MDR or any other restaurants, then they can call security and have them removed from the ship at the next port.

Edited by MicCanberra

Not relevant really for Australia as its not a case won here. Not sure how much more cruise ships can do except maybe wash all the passengers hands for them as some seem incapable of doing the basics.

Maybe back to the old days when flying into Australia and they sprayed you before they landed. They could just spray you a few times a day on the ship.

Maybe back to the old days when flying into Australia and they sprayed you before they landed. They could just spray you a few times a day on the ship.

They still do the spray on the aeroplanes for some flights (Zurich to Singapore -21 May 2016)

Could be very relevant for us.

A case won overseas, like this could force cruise-lines to increase fares to cover for future litigation.

When yo see posters refusing to us the Purell spray because its chemical based, omg ,come-on, really.

When people pick up food from the buffet with their hands, sniff it and taste it and put it back. Come-on really.

Its basic hygiene practises.DUH.

But staff seeing it and allowing it-to happen is worst.

But they are to frightened to say anything.

Could be very relevant for us.

A case won overseas, like this could force cruise-lines to increase fares to cover for future litigation.

When yo see posters refusing to us the Purell spray because its chemical based, omg ,come-on, really.

When people pick up food from the buffet with their hands, sniff it and taste it and put it back. Come-on really.

Its basic hygiene practises.DUH.

But staff seeing it and allowing it-to happen is worst.

But they are to frightened to say anything.

The staff may not want confrontation with passengers but if they have back up from the security staff then they may be more likely to enforce it, as safety aboard includes stopping the spread of disease.

Edited by MicCanberra

the fact is though that those of us who follow the hygiene precautions well are unlikely to get ill.....yeah, yeah I know its still possible but much less likely. I heard about a family who were quarantined earlier this year, or last......mum and dad did not get Noro but there 10 year old daughter did...... whats the bet that she didn't wash her hands as much as mum and dad?

so the responsibility is on us to make sure we do the best we can to protect ourselves. then we stand the best chance to have a great cruise.

cheers

Belinda

If a passenger refuses to wash their hands and or use sanitisers prior to entering the buffet or MDR or any other restaurants, then they can call security and have them removed from the ship at the next port.

I can only imagine some on here then complaining about the bad treatment on board these ships. :p;)

the fact is though that those of us who follow the hygiene precautions well are unlikely to get ill.....yeah, yeah I know its still possible but much less likely. I heard about a family who were quarantined earlier this year, or last......mum and dad did not get Noro but there 10 year old daughter did...... whats the bet that she didn't wash her hands as much as mum and dad?

so the responsibility is on us to make sure we do the best we can to protect ourselves. then we stand the best chance to have a great cruise.

Agreed. The rest is then in line with the chance that you will get it anywhere, not just on ships.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/health/gastro-warning-49-outbreaks-in-nsw-childcare-and-nursing-homes-20160720-gq9inl.html

Agreed. The rest is then in line with the chance that you will get it anywhere, not just on ships.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/health/gastro-warning-49-outbreaks-in-nsw-childcare-and-nursing-homes-20160720-gq9inl.html

Exactly...you can catch it anywhere...the funny thing is though if someone gets ill after say visiting the local shopping center the first thing they assume is that they got food poisoning from one of the takeaways they may have eaten at...which is probably more unlikely.

Just to point out that in this particular case referred to, the courts determined that in this instance (March/April 2011 cruise on MS BOUDICCA) Fred Olsen Cruise Lines failed to properly implement their (industry standard) plans to manage the illness appropriately and bring it under control.

So the courts are not blaming FOCL for the outbreak, or that they did not have an appropriate management and control plan, but that they had failures in the implementation of that plan - thereby causing or contributing to the spread of the virus on board.

http://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=226957b5-9e5b-4c00-aa43-f504e37ddebe

Exactly...you can catch it anywhere...the funny thing is though if someone gets ill after say visiting the local shopping center the first thing they assume is that they got food poisoning from one of the takeaways they may have eaten at...which is probably more unlikely.

Another issue is that if they get it at the shopping centre, they all go home and then develop symptoms, on a cruise they come down with it (most of them) while they are still on board.

In '04 on my first cruise there was a staff member in the doorway to the buffet and MDR with the pump and you had to get some sanitiser before you entered. This year I watched as people in front of me backtracked to the machine after watching me wash my hands and obviously thinking they should do it too. I much prefer the forced way of thinking and a few complaints then the higher risk for the sake of those special snowflakes who think they are above hygiene.

Does that mean that the school I worked at has to compensate me for the distress I suffered when NORO hit a few years ago and I got it? <Tongue In Cheek> Why is it that the cruise industry seems to be the only industry that gets all the negative publicity over NORO when it is everywhere?

The main thing that they can do is enforce hygiene standards onto the passengers. If a passenger refuses to wash their hands and or use sanitisers prior to entering the buffet or MDR or any other restaurants, then they can call security and have them removed from the ship at the next port.

Ditto

Just to point out that in this particular case referred to, the courts determined that in this instance (March/April 2011 cruise on MS BOUDICCA) Fred Olsen Cruise Lines failed to properly implement their (industry standard) plans to manage the illness appropriately and bring it under control.

So the courts are not blaming FOCL for the outbreak, or that they did not have an appropriate management and control plan, but that they had failures in the implementation of that plan - thereby causing or contributing to the spread of the virus on board.

http://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=226957b5-9e5b-4c00-aa43-f504e37ddebe

Interesting link and clarification, thank you.

Might be of some relevance to the pending judgment in the class action against Scenic Cruises (no noro here, but alleged failure by the cruise line to cancel a number of cruises during European floods a few years ago - knowing that they would be unlikely to provide the advertised river cruise, rather than an extensive bus travel experience)

Does that mean that the school I worked at has to compensate me for the distress I suffered when NORO hit a few years ago and I got it? <Tongue In Cheek> Why is it that the cruise industry seems to be the only industry that gets all the negative publicity over NORO when it is everywhere?

Yep.

Someone sneezed near me.

I walked through the smoking area.

I missed my tender-boat.

I was late back to the ship.

They had the wrong sausages at breakfast.

The eggs benedict were stale.

My steward,didnt make a towel animal.

I didn't like the show.

I'm bored.

I WANT O.B.C,and I want it NOW.:eek::eek:

Why is it that the cruise industry seems to be the only industry that gets all the negative publicity over NORO when it is everywhere?

Because when it happens elsewhere in Australia it is not news worthy, and a lot of people feel that noro is food poisoning rather than poor hygiene. i.e 20 people got noro in the local shopping centre compared to 20 people paid all that money for a cruise and ended up getting sick.

To contract noro, it must be consumed. This is in most cases is essentially from eating with your (germy) hands because you have touched something with noro on it although it can be because the food you ate was touched by someone with dirty (germy) hands.

Yep.

Someone sneezed near me.

I walked through the smoking area.

I missed my tender-boat.

I was late back to the ship.

They had the wrong sausages at breakfast.

The eggs benedict were stale.

My steward,didnt make a towel animal.

I didn't like the show.

I'm bored.

I WANT O.B.C,and I want it NOW.:eek::eek:

You forgot about 'the garnish was missing in my cocktail'.:p

Goodness. Next we will have to be given a health warning that cruising can cause health issues. Given the complexities of managing noro amongst thousands of randoms it seems harsh. But, if there was a noro outbreak on one cruise and it continued on the next one then maybe that does infer that something is happening. We had a cruise on Equinox last year where multiple cruises in a row were effected. This kind of cruise wouldn't be taken b2b2b as similar ports revisted. So something was up. Maybe spread by the crew unwittingly.

I do know of people who are scrupulously clean who have contracted noro on a ship. While we can eliminate most risks, there is no 100% guarantee you wont get it.

Edited by Pushka