Keep track of who owes how much on trip?

Nhsaltshaker

Hi there

When my wife and myself travel it is easy. I pay.

When travelling with others, you pay your own bills. The only issues with cruising is having to protect yourself if sharing a cabin with someone who might have to cancel.

Although i can offer you no advice, i do wish you the best of luck on the financial sharing aspects of cruising with family and friends ... I hope you have a great cruise!

The vast majority of my relatives have very shorts arms... and very low pockets (in which they keep their cash) so they have a difficult time reaching for their wallets when the time comes .... i ALWAYS lose money...i hope you have better luck.

PS: they also have champagne tastes... but a beer budget ....which also causes me additional out of pocket expenditures.

We're lucky! We don't have any friends or relatives who would want to travel with us. We minimize our costs disputes by only having each other to fight out financial problems. No paper, pencils, erasers, etc., required!

Don't knock it. It works for us!

:D

Try a 'net search on your favorite engine - type in "apps for splitting bills and keeping track of split expenses"; you'll get a few hits...

Remember to include tips in the bill split! I've got some friends who won't tip more than 15% or "forget" to add in tip. I always put in more to cover a proper tip for the server...

For the best part of 25 years a group of six of us (three couples) took vacations together, mainly over New Year, and I acted as bookkeeper - if any expenditure was a whole group joint one, someone would pay and I'd note the amount under their name. Towards the end, I'd calculate what the rough balance between us was, and suggest the next whatever be paid by whoever had paid least. At the end, total up everything, divide by three and work out who owed what to whom. Any expenditure which wasn't for all six of us, didn't count.

It helps if you trust the bookkeeper:), which they clearly did, given that we're all still friends after all this time.

I'm usually the one who handles the money if it is a small group of friends traveling together. Everyone is responsible for paying their own airfare and cruise fare. If I book something for the group in advance, I put the email info into a specific email folder, then tally it all up and send them an email, and forward the email receipts. Since I am the only one with a US$ credit card, it saves them a bit of money.

For cabs and that kind of thing that we share, I just keep a running tally in my brain. That way, I know the service provider(s) get a decent tip ;)

Although i can offer you no advice, i do wish you the best of luck on the financial sharing aspects of cruising with family and friends ... I hope you have a great cruise!

The vast majority of my relatives have very shorts arms... and very low pockets (in which they keep their cash) so they have a difficult time reaching for their wallets when the time comes .... i ALWAYS lose money...i hope you have better luck.

PS: they also have champagne tastes... but a beer budget ....which also causes me additional out of pocket expenditures.

Hey can I travel with you? [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I travel Solo on cruises. I pay for everything. I don't care if I have an extra bed.

But when going out with friends, we do the following. We split the bill amongst us. And traveling otherwise, it's good to take care of it when it happens, because if not I end up like you. [emoji857]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. Maybe I should have reiterated more than two people, or that the trip is in multiple countries with different currencies during multiple weeks. Added on are car rentals, hotels at either end of the cruise, land excursions, restaurants, flights, etc. Also some who might do the cruise without the land tour, and some flying in just for the post hotel portion.

For the pencil and paper people, my brain will also be on vacation and I have no desire to purchase more luggage for the paperwork.

For the ones who suggested I don't go at all...at least it will save me buying extra luggage.

For the people who suggested the phone apps...THANK YOU!!!! I have investigated two so far and I love being able to divide things up, take pictures of receipts, and decipher who paid, who owes. AWESOME!

I haven't read all the replies, but I have traveled extensively with a friend over the years. Before leaving it was easy -- all the costs of the flight, B&B or hotel or cabin were known and we just each paid those.

For the costs that weren't known ahead of time -- car rental, et cetera, just have lots of communication. As far as the incidentals -- I just didn't sweat the small stuff. Sometimes she would pay for stuff, sometimes I would. It usually came to with in $5 of each other and we just didn't worry about it.

Can anyone suggest the best way to keep track of who owes what when it comes to paid deposits, expenses, etc?

I guess I'm looking for some sort of template that will keep track of... who paid how much of a deposit and how much they owe, splitting the cost of rental cars, hotels, and other expenses.

When vacationing with friends and multiple families, what do you do?

Everyone pays their own expenses. We do not pay for anyone else.

DON

I haven't read all the replies, but I have traveled extensively with a friend over the years. Before leaving it was easy -- all the costs of the flight, B&B or hotel or cabin were known and we just each paid those.

For the costs that weren't known ahead of time -- car rental, et cetera, just have lots of communication. As far as the incidentals -- I just didn't sweat the small stuff. Sometimes she would pay for stuff, sometimes I would. It usually came to with in $5 of each other and we just didn't worry about it.

You are lucky. I have relatives with short arms and deep pockets. I think you get what I mean.

Tony