Keep track of who owes how much on trip?

Nhsaltshaker

Can anyone suggest the best way to keep track of who owes what when it comes to paid deposits, expenses, etc?

I guess I'm looking for some sort of template that will keep track of... who paid how much of a deposit and how much they owe, splitting the cost of rental cars, hotels, and other expenses.

When vacationing with friends and multiple families, what do you do?

Can anyone suggest the best way to keep track of who owes what when it comes to paid deposits, expenses, etc?

I guess I'm looking for some sort of template that will keep track of... who paid how much of a deposit and how much they owe, splitting the cost of rental cars, hotels, and other expenses.

We either each pay separately, or track it with notebook app on phone. Sometimes, we just take the total and split it evenly in half. It all depends on who we're traveling with, and how we handle it at home. Sometimes it's "we'll get this bill, you get the next" and sometimes, it's paid separately right on the spot, etc..

Although i can offer you no advice, i do wish you the best of luck on the financial sharing aspects of cruising with family and friends ... I hope you have a great cruise!

The vast majority of my relatives have very shorts arms... and very low pockets (in which they keep their cash) so they have a difficult time reaching for their wallets when the time comes .... i ALWAYS lose money...i hope you have better luck.

PS: they also have champagne tastes... but a beer budget ....which also causes me additional out of pocket expenditures.

If you want to do it "as you go along" there are a number of apps for phones or tablets that include word processing, spreadsheets, etc. Office apps that will open MS Office docs or save in a compatible format. You could make a simple spreadsheet and fill it in as you go.

Seems like a major headache to me though. I've traveled with family and we generally just split tabs or figure it out as we go. I've paid for rental cars and someone else paid for lunches and things of that sort. I generally try to make sure that I don't short anybody and leave it up to the others to do the same. It always "sort of" works out. Have I come out "behind" sometimes? Yep. Do I let it bother me? Nope.

The brand new app available for all types... Pencil, Paper, and keeping receipts. :)

I like the way you think! I love that app! Even when it comes to planning the trip...packing lists etc....it's the best app out there IMHO :)

Excel is your friend, or use a piece of paper.

We always pay our own bills/checks AND DON't get into \who owes what to who? Pay your own expenses and there will be no question. :) No neeed to co-mingle expenses. PEach pays their own deposit, lunch chekc,, dinner bill, taxi fare hotel room,. etc A great many trips we shared with friends and never had any problems over $

Edited by sail7seas

On the ship itself everyone uses their own credit cards. I've been in a cabin with 3 others, we each linked our own cards to our own account.

This sorts out the major expenses. Everyone buys their own excursions, drinks etc. This stops any arguments. If someone doesn't have a card just tell them they can pay their account with cash.

Taxi I either pay to pier and then the other pays from pier. We do our own tips. Sometimes we just split the taxi fare.

Pay for our own drinks. Split restaurant bill either evenly if we get the same thing or just use calculator on phone. Main point is we split all bills there and then.

Hotels we pay for our own rooms or get hotel to charge individually. If hotels are about the same I pay on the way in & travel companion pay on the way out.

Main thing keep your receipts and agree at the offset how you are going to pay.

Edited by kerryincork

Even if you are dealing with family it keeps everything so much cleaner if everyone just pays their own. Invariably you will have one or more who do not pull their own weight financially if costs are pooled.

Separate bills = no hard feelings

Split the total per person. So much easier.

We only travel with immediate family (adult kids, their spouses and our grandchildren)...no need to keep track...just our personal choice in how we spend their future inheritance ;);)

In traveling with someone else here's what I do. The cruise payments are paid individually. Other payments that I had to make in booking the cruise & anything else I keep a file that shows what I had to pay & when it's near the cruise they send me a check.

While on the cruise some things I just pay for.

Tom😎

We only travel with immediate family (adult kids, their spouses and our grandchildren)...no need to keep track...just our personal choice in how we spend their future inheritance ;);)

Same with us -- hubby, daughter and me. Hubby pays for everything and we all discuss what we're doing ahead of time (ports if on cruise, attractions if on a road trip).

For expenses that are shared equally, we designate a wallet, and everybody puts in the same amount of cash. When run out of money, get some more in. Of course, it's not as easy as for somebody to keep track, and at the end I can write you a check, but this way no charge is forgotten.