Celebrity vs RCCL

worldtravellerrus

I am looking at a RCCL cruise next August that goes to Iceland among other ports. I wish Celebrity did.

I am a Captains Club Member, are points transferable between the 2 companies?

What is the main difference between the 2 cruise lines?

That visits Iceland... I did their 2015 offering last June/July and loved it... Seemingly, their 2016 cruise that included Iceland has already occurred... And apparently their 2017 cruise--which has been designated as next year's "President's Cruise"--is available for reservation now...

There is a relatively current thread here on Cruise Critic's Celebrity Forum--most recent post was yesterday--that discusses Celebrity's presence in Iceland... You'll find it here...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2385496

Firstly there are a couple of X cruises that do visit Iceland so check your search.

Points are initially transferable.

We have cruised both lines and enjoy the quiet ambiance and, in our opinion, better food on Celebrity. RC is much busier and noisier, we enjoyed when our son was younger. If you enjoy lots of organised events you may enjoy RC more.

The bigger the X class ship (S rather than M) the more dining and bar options. The bigger the RC ships again the more dining options and entertainment options. I do think the actual ship you are sailing on does make a difference.

RC does tend to attract families more than Celebrity, this could be a positive or a negative dependent on who you are cruising with.

Points are NOT transferable between the two lines!

They are. You don't build up a pool of RCI and Celebrity points but your highest status with one is matched by the other.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We are looking for a TA that goes to Iceland, and while you are correct that Celebrity does go to Iceland, they don't go there on a TA

I believe Princess and Oceania offer a TA via Iceland.

Loyality points are separate for RC and Celebrity and are not additive. What they do share is reciprocity of status. It's well explained on the RC website

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=971&faqSubjectId=340

Points are NOT transferable between the two lines!

Agree.

They are. You don't build up a pool of RCI and Celebrity points but your highest status with one is matched by the other.

Disagree. Points are not transferable. You receive tier level equivalent recognition between Celebrity and RCCL as CYNSport posted.

This is reciprocity. :) Points are separate on each line. The points are NOT transferable, but the status is given reciprocity. Also, there is a limit on the highest status that is given through reciprocity. For example, no matter how high your status may be on RC, you will not be given more than Elite status on Celebrity.

This is reciprocity. :) Points are separate on each line. The points are NOT transferable, but the status is given reciprocity. Also, there is a limit on the highest status that is given through reciprocity. For example, no matter how high your status may be on RC, you will not be given more than Elite status on Celebrity.

I get what you mean. I was just used to a different definition. I didn't know about the limit on reciprocity. That's interesting.

I get what you mean. I was just used to a different definition. I didn't know about the limit on reciprocity. That's interesting.

Diamond and Diamond Plus on RC=Elite on Celebrity. Elite and Elite Plus on Celebrity=Diamond on RC.

Perhaps Zenith on Celebrity gets something higher on RC, but this is unlikely to ever apply to me :)

Celebrity is supposed to be a step above mainstream RCI, Princess, NCL & Carnival. But we think it's only a half-step at best. We don't board Celebrity and exclaim "Now this is something special!".

Until lack of venue capacity & expansion of suite perks totally cripples RCI's loyalty program, its concierge & diamond lounges are the best thing going in mainstream cruising for D & D+ cruisers. Pinnacles - well, they get everything. ;-)

Celebrity's elite breakfast is a pretty good perk because the two cappuccinos each we get there are really our limit. We get way too many cappuccinos in RCI's concierge & diamond lounges - which sort of diminishes their exclusivity over time.