Can I get brewed coffee in the MDR?

The Other Tom

In both the dining room & buffet, the coffee is made from concentrate. I've never heard of getting brewed coffee in either location but have read about getting specialty coffee drinks for a fee or with a coffee card punch in the dining room. I believe that they have to go to the IC for specialty coffee drinks or brewed coffee and won't go there for free brewed coffee which would get chaotic when everyone with a coffee card requested brewed coffee.

Edited by Astro Flyer

It can't be done for proper service to be given to all passengers. As stated above, if everyone had the waiters running back and forth for fresh brewed the dining service would suffer greatly for everyone.

As said above, Non-specialty coffees are made of syrup concentrate, no brewed "regular" coffee. But, you can order a cappuccino or the like. You will be charged or use a punch on your coffee card. They also have nightly promotions for some really special coffees.

Cruising on the Coral in February. Do they serve brewed coffee in the MDR or is it made from the concentrate stuff ?

If it's not brewed, can I use the coffee card in the MDR to get brewed coffee ?

Same questions for the buffet.

And that my friends is "my" biggest head scratcher. Why at the major onboard dining venues is a "real" coffee and menu not part of the show?

Edited by MTJSR

And that my friends is "my" biggest head scratcher. Why at the major onboard dining venues is a "real" coffee not part of the show?

You would be surprised how many fine restaurants on land serve coffee made from a syrup.

The difference is that those land restaurants use a higher grade of coffee syrup than Princess does.

The MDR coffee is fine. If I'm eating in a MDR I just have their coffee. Its just not as good as Sabatinis, Crown Grill, or the IC. Every morning at 6 am I head to IC for my bailys & coffee to start our day.

The MDR coffee is fine. If I'm eating in a MDR I just have their coffee. Its just not as good as Sabatinis, Crown Grill, or the IC. Every morning at 6 am I head to IC for my bailys & coffee to start our day.

The Baileys and coffee you spoke of: is that one that would be included on a coffee card? Do you have to pay extra above the coffee card punch to put a liquour in the specialty coffee? I've never bought a card before.

Cathy

The Baileys and coffee you spoke of: is that one that would be included on a coffee card? Do you have to pay extra above the coffee card punch to put a liquour in the specialty coffee? I've never bought a card before.

Cathy

The shot is extra charge we had the booze package so no charge. Different they don't have Baileys they use Carolines I think. Also you can't get a shot before 6am I was there at 5:30 first morning and had to have a donut and regular coffee and wait till 6am.

For the life of me I can't wrap my head around a premium cruise line serving syrup coffee. And no it's not fine, it taste terrible! This has to be my only gripe about Princess. Having to go to 1 designated station to wait in line for a cup of brewed coffee is ridiculous to me. We just got off the Carnival Vista (ya I know) but they had coffee stations with fresh brewed coffee and of course all dining venues had brewed coffee as well. So if Carnival can serve real coffee why can't Princess???? I'm gonna go brew a cup right now:rolleyes:

Not when we sailed on the Regal last year.

IMO there is nothing wrong with the DR coffee.

Since the Royal-class ships have the coffee machines that make coffee using ground coffee in their buffets, then the dining rooms probably would have the same machines that make filtered coffee.

My taste buds preferred the filtered coffee over the coffee made from concentrate.

Since the Royal-class ships have the coffee machines that make coffee using ground coffee in their buffets, then the dining rooms probably would have the same machines that make filtered coffee.

My taste buds preferred the filtered coffee over the coffee made from concentrate.

Thats what I would have thought but when we had a discussion with a HW it was the other way around with concentrate. Like I said I did not really care as the coffee either way was fine. There have been times with the fresh brewed though in the IC on a couple of ships tasted terrible. :(

Thats what I would have thought but when we had a discussion with a HW it was the other way around with concentrate. Like I said I did not really care as the coffee either way was fine. There have been times with the fresh brewed though in the IC on a couple of ships tasted terrible. :(

That's odd...they add them to the buffet but not in the dining rooms. :eek:

While my tastebuds prefer coffee made from ground/whole bean coffee, the dining room coffee from concentrate is acceptable to me & sometimes the IC coffee is quite strong. As 'Caribill' posted, some shoreside restaurants make coffee from concentrate & customers don't know the difference. ;)

I'm sure that all of it is improvement over the stuff they served on our Navy ships. :p

Edited by Astro Flyer

That's odd...they add them to the buffet but not in the dining rooms. :eek:

While my tastebuds prefer coffee made from ground/whole bean coffee, the dining room coffee from concentrate is acceptable to me & sometimes the IC coffee is quite strong. As 'Caribill' posted, some shoreside restaurants make coffee from concentrate & customers don't know the difference. ;)

I'm sure that all of it is improvement over the stuff they served on our Navy ships. :p

I took his explanation with a grain of salt. Who knows.

I forgot all about it when they put my Norman Love dessert on the table. ;)

I took his explanation with a grain of salt. Who knows.

I forgot all about it when they put my Norman Love dessert on the table. ;)

It wouldn't surprise me if the HW was correct...with the dining room coffee machines out of view it's possible that the placebo affect could influence passenger's taste buds by thinking it was from ground coffee. ;)