Sofa Bed question for Ovation Family of 4

Just looking at booking a balcony or large OV on the Ovation for 2018 will be 17 night b2b so want to pick the best option for a family of four. With no pullman beds to pick from it is making it a little more difficult.

My kids will be 8 and 12 and my DD not so keen on sharing the bed with my DS (he is a wriggler!!) So was wondering if we could leave the sofa bed set up as a single bed and request a rollaway be brought in as the 2 bed. Set up next to it.

Is it even possible?? Would they do that it's around $1K more to book connecting interiors and would really like to have the balcony option on this cruise.

Just looking at booking a balcony or large OV on the Ovation for 2018 will be 17 night b2b so want to pick the best option for a family of four. With no pullman beds to pick from it is making it a little more difficult.

My kids will be 8 and 12 and my DD not so keen on sharing the bed with my DS (he is a wriggler!!) So was wondering if we could leave the sofa bed set up as a single bed and request a rollaway be brought in as the 2 bed. Set up next to it.

Is it even possible?? Would they do that it's around $1K more to book connecting interiors and would really like to have the balcony option on this cruise.

Won't fit. There just isn't room.

You're not going to like this suggestion, but............

You can separate the main bed into two twins. Parents can share the sofabed.

Edited by Merion_Mom

Won't fit. There just isn't room.

You're not going to like this suggestion, but............

You can separate the main bed into two twins. Parents can share the sofabed.

Lol I am paying the money I deserve the comfort :D but a consideration

I don't quite understand why the rollaway wouldn't fit if we leave the sofa set up as a sofa and not converted to a double bed. My thought was only if they would bring me a rollaway not that it wouldn't fit :confused:

Edited by craftycousins

My husband, myself and our DD(13) were just on Ovation for 12 nights this past June in a balcony cabin. Our cabin was configured with the sofa(bed) located by the balcony door.

When the room steward made the sofa into a bed every night for our daughter there was a whopping 6-8 inches between the bed and the desk so it was a real pain (meaning we hit our shin) every time we wanted to go out to the balcony. Even if the sofa wasn't made into a bed, there'd be NO ROOM for a rollaway.

Also, the sofa bed was hard as a rock. Not exaggerating in the least. Had to have a couple extra mattress pads and extra bedding put on before it was even remotely comfortable to sleep on.

Definitely need a Plan 'B' or it will be a long 17 nights!!

Lol I am paying the money I deserve the comfort :D but a consideration

I don't quite understand why the rollaway wouldn't fit if we leave the sofa set up as a sofa and not converted to a double bed. My thought was only if they would bring me a rollaway not that it wouldn't fit :confused:

Look at the cabin layout on the cruise line website and look at videos on youtube, there just isn't the floor space for a rollaway in the cabins that you are considering.

Roll away will not happen for you. Takes up too much room and presents a safety hazard...if you had to get out of the cabin. Have you tried switching cabins to ones with pullmans? That's the best option. The sofa bed is a KILLER. You wake up feeling like someone beat you up all night. Did it once...never again.

Also, the sofa bed was hard as a rock. Not exaggerating in the least. Had to have a couple extra mattress pads and extra bedding put on before it was even remotely comfortable to sleep on.

I definitely agree. The sofa bed is terribly hard and uncomfortable. We had 2 cabins and the children would have to take turns sleeping on the sofa bed as each of them hated it. I tried a mid-afternoon nap on it and was almost 'crippled' when I tried to get up.:(

Roll away will not happen for you. Takes up too much room and presents a safety hazard...if you had to get out of the cabin. Have you tried switching cabins to ones with pullmans? That's the best option. The sofa bed is a KILLER. You wake up feeling like someone beat you up all night. Did it once...never again.

The only rooms with pullmans on the Ovation are 9 Junior suites very frustrating for large families and those with older kids not many options that don't cost a fortune!!

Just for an update if anyone is searching this thread for extra info. I had originally booked a Superior OV which is an extra large OV corner 300ft cabin at the front of the ship I sent through a request to Royal Caribbean asking if they would put a rollaway into this size room as from what I can tell from all my investigation there is plenty of room to fit one and they told me no that will not be able to do that so

The only rooms with pullmans on the Ovation are 9 Junior suites very frustrating for large families and those with older kids not many options that don't cost a fortune!!

Just for an update if anyone is searching this thread for extra info. I had originally booked a Superior OV which is an extra large OV corner 300ft cabin at the front of the ship I sent through a request to Royal Caribbean asking if they would put a rollaway into this size room as from what I can tell from all my investigation there is plenty of room to fit one and they told me no that will not be able to do that so

Wow, that is a very large ocean view cabin, I can see why you felt it should be able to fit a rollaway. The description says:

Alcove with large forward-view panoramic window with seat and lounge chair.

That sounds like it is an angled window at the front of the ship, making some of the space unusable. Have you been able to find any youtube videos of those cabins? Could you make a bed out of the lounge chair if the sofabed didn't work out?

RCI's cabins are tiny...not much floor space, until you get to the suites. Maybe put the smallest child on the floor, on a comforter or something...and hopefully, no one will step on him in the middle of the night!

I would go with 2 connecting cabins, if you want any sort of comfort at all.

Wow, that is a very large ocean view cabin, I can see why you felt it should be able to fit a rollaway. The description says:

That sounds like it is an angled window at the front of the ship, making some of the space unusable. Have you been able to find any youtube videos of those cabins? Could you make a bed out of the lounge chair if the sofabed didn't work out?

We booked room 8110

Yes angled window so yes some space may not be useable it's an extra 50ft bigger than the Large OV and only was a $100 more so that's why we booked it nice to have extra room when your sharing with the kids

No I don't think so it's just a single chair yes I have studied the layout and seen a few pics on here of the cabin and I feel that maybe I have just been given a standard response by RCI maybe my cabin steward may be extra nice to me, otherwise it will be Dad sharing the sofa bed :D Unless there is a big drop in price I can't see me booking 2 rooms.

And my kids are 8 & 11 so they won't agree to sleeping on the floor!

Have you seen this review of the same cabin on Quantum?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2123468

There is plenty of room in that cabin for a rollaway. I do agree with you that you are just getting a standard response when you call. I also know that they usually also say you can only request a rollaway if you are staying in a suite. Personally, I would ask your cabin steward once you board. If there is one available, they should be able to bring it for you. In that cabin, even with the sofabed open and a rollaway, it would not create a safety hazard as it would in a smaller oceanview cabin.

Only other possibility is to bring an aerobed that you put in the window area. My sister traveled with one when her kids were younger because with a family of 5, they were always short one bed unless they booked two cabins or two hotel rooms. They bought a nicer, self inflating mattress that was very comfortable. It was something similar to this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Aerobed-2000011072-Single-High-Airbed/dp/B019ZS5O44/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1470922053&sr=1-3-spons&keywords=aerobed&psc=1

Not an ideal solution, but if you know someone who has one that you could borrow, it might save some fighting. I know you said the floor was a no go but this is better than sleeping with a sibling.;)

As far as Dad on the sofabed, my sister's family ended up with that option too until they ended doing a guys cabin and a girls cabin as the kids got older. They considered doing the three kids in one cabin and mom and dad next door, but were always afraid that the boys would throw their sister overboard.:eek::D