How much leeway do they give you on timing of traditional dining reservations ?

The Other Tom

Well on my one and only cruise, we did. I didn't state an hour early, I said a few minutes. We also encountered no lines, we were able to just walk in and take a seat, by no means we're we the first there.

Not sure why the negatively at my comment, it was our experience not a question I needed to be corrected on.

Edited by bc_redhead

We have a table for 2 on our upcoming cruises. As there is no "any time" dining on either cruise, can we assume that our table will still be there if we happen to be late?:confused: Thinking of those days when we would not have enough time to change before dinner after returning from a port tour if we arrived back at 5:30. Fifteen minutes to 1/2 hour leeway could make a big difference at those times.

You mean you have requested a table for 2 on Dawn and Sun? Be aware, you may not get it. There aren't a great number of 2-tops on either of those ships, so you might end up at a larger table. If you do end up on a shared table just tell your tablemates and waiters that you are doing an excursion next day so they know not to wait for you.

Our plan is to visit the dining room as soon as it opens on embarkation day and speak to maitre'd as has been suggested on several forums and, hopefully, get a table for 2.:D

It is requested that you see the MD at the time/place listed in the embarkation day Patter.

Its usually held in one of the DR's between 2p-3:30p.

At that time he can address any issues you have as far as DR seating/time.

Arriving earlier than the scheduled time will not do you any good, They do not open the doors to the dining room until the scheduled time, so if you arrive early you will just be in the middle of a crowd that wants to be there when the doors open.

Actually that's not always the case....On our med cruise on the Royal earlier this summer, the dining time was 6:00. The doors were actually open from 5:45 - 6:15 nightly. This was for the entire 28 days.

Actually that's not always the case....On our med cruise on the Royal earlier this summer, the dining time was 6:00. The doors were actually open from 5:45 - 6:15 nightly. This was for the entire 28 days.

Then the dining time would have been changed onboard to 5:45.

As stated the doors don't open until the dining time.

Then the dining time would have been changed onboard to 5:45.

As stated the doors don't open until the dining time.

No Keith, the time on our cruise cards and the time in the patter that listed the traditional dining times was 6:00. The opened early for convenience.

No Keith, the time on our cruise cards and the time in the patter that listed the traditional dining times was 6:00. The opened early for convenience.

How nice of them.........

We experienced this twice last year. In the Med the early dining was moved earlier from 5:30pm to 4:45pm.

Cruise cards and the Patter remained the same with the old times. :(

No need to be sarcastic. Generoso said it yes, would be convenient for the itinerary.

Not being sarcastic at all.

It was nice of them to leave the doors open that long. :)

Wow you took my comment totally wrong.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

A reserved table for 2 solves all the problems. You can arrive anytime & your table is waiting for you and it doesn't hold up anyone else wondering if you'll show or not. :rolleyes:

They can & do give away your table, if you're over 30 min. late(if you don't inform them ahead of time)

My statement was from the viewpoint of someone who only has been in late traditional seating.

So while the dining room may open earlier than posted for the early seating, that does not happen for the late sitting. By the time the doors are opened the lobby area in front of the dining room is packed like sardines with those waiting to go in and the stairway from deck 7 is also packed.

They can & do give away your table, if you're over 30 min. late(if you don't inform them ahead of time)

They should reassign the seats as needed. It only make thing easier for the AT diners. I was trying to be a little (sarcastic).

Even 30 minutes seems a little long to wait though.

We haven't been to TD dining in many years although with the new Club dining we might go back to it along with many others if it causes longer lines in the AT DR.

My statement was from the viewpoint of someone who only has been in late traditional seating.

So while the dining room may open earlier than posted for the early seating, that does not happen for the late sitting. By the time the doors are opened the lobby area in front of the dining room is packed like sardines with those waiting to go in and the stairway from deck 7 is also packed.

I've never seen them open early on first seating either, and it's always packed like sardines, too.

I've never seen them open early on first seating either, and it's always packed like sardines, too.

Same experience here, unfortunately. I've wondered if opening early, without taking orders until the appointed time, might even out the crush. But then there would be those demanding to order the moment they sit down :(.

Our plan is to visit the dining room as soon as it opens on embarkation day and speak to maitre'd as has been suggested on several forums and, hopefully, get a table for 2.:D

When I was on Carribbean, there was a waiting list of 40 couples

for tables for 2.

On Caribbean Princess this year they closed the doors to the dining room 15 minutes after the scheduled start of Traditional Dining.

That might be a good indication of how long they can afford to wait on a reservation, without messing up the flow for the wait staff in that section.

15 minutes does not seem unreasonable, especially if true Anytime diners are waiting for a seat.

We generally enjoy traditional tables for 6, and find even if some couple never shows up, they are not replaced. It would be nice if someone from the dining room staff could check on their intentions after a few days and maybe replace them. It's a shame to see all the same empty seats night after night.

We generally enjoy traditional tables for 6, and find even if some couple never shows up, they are not replaced. It would be nice if someone from the dining room staff could check on their intentions after a few days and maybe replace them. It's a shame to see all the same empty seats night after night.

I have thought that, too. Then the missing couple shows up for formal night--first and last time.

I agree. You'd think a simple note to the cabin asking if they intend to eat at td or give the table up would be in order.