Bait and Switch on Super Studio Balcony Rooms

I booked a cruise for a "Super Studio Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony Guarantee" and instead they put me in a category for an Obstructed View Balcony without asking me if that was OK. The balcony was completely obstructed by life boats. Google #6288 and watch the You Tube video of it. I called and complained and talked to at least three supervisors all of whom said the "guarantee" was just for a stateroom and not for the Super Studio. That is not what my reservation confirmation said. They said if I really wanted an unobstructed balcony, I could pay more!!!! They are still selling "Super Studio Ocean View Staterooms with Balcony" but then switch you to a room nobody wants and they can't sell. If they are sold out of that room, they should say so!!!! Worst travel experience ever and I haven't even gotten on the boat yet! Watch out!!!!!

1013486850_BaitSwitch_Page_1.jpg.49074eb4ace97a86207b22c3226ca922.jpg

809905640_BaitSwitch_Page_2.jpg.6694ce889698ce5726af11b5f3559fd4.jpg

I booked a cruise for a "Super Studio Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony Guarantee" and instead they put me in a category for an Obstructed View Balcony without asking me if that was OK. The balcony was completely obstructed by life boats. Google #6288 and watch the You Tube video of it. I called and complained and talked to at least three supervisors all of whom said the "guarantee" was just for a stateroom and not for the Super Studio. That is not what my reservation confirmation said. They said if I really wanted an unobstructed balcony, I could pay more!!!! They are still selling "Super Studio Ocean View Staterooms with Balcony" but then switch you to a room nobody wants and they can't sell. If they are sold out of that room, they should say so!!!! Worst travel experience ever and I haven't even gotten on the boat yet! Watch out!!!!!

You received a HUGE upgrade.

A DO cabin is MUCH bigger than a Studio Balcony.

tumblr_mkbjbmOuJx1rl35vno1_500.jpg

Welcome to cruise critic.

:)

As for the OP, you've been given a bigger room than the studio balcony but I can see why you'd be annoyed if you wanted an unobstructed view room.

Continue to call back and speak to people higher up is my advice

A GTY means you cannot get a worse cabin category than the one you buy but you can be given anything in a better category. An full-sized obstructed balcony is a higher category than a studio balcony. If you want a specific category (or want to avoid a different category), you cannot buy a GTY ... you have to book a specific cabin (which is generally more expensive).

:)

As for the OP, you've been given a bigger room than the studio balcony but I can see why you'd be annoyed if you wanted an unobstructed view room.

Continue to call back and speak to people higher up is my advice

I don't see how that helps to go through CSR and managers. You get what you get with a GTY. If you don't want an upgrade, you need to not book a GTY. If you are upset because of the obstruction, then you may be able to get put back into the GTY pool but could end up with the same cabin or cabin type.

I've had a ton of obstructed balconies and they aren't bad, especially if you save a substantial amount of money.

If the guarantee reservation said "Stateroom Guarantee, Our Choice," I would understand and probably would NOT have booked it for fear of ending up next to the engine room. But my confirmed reservation explicitly said "Super Studio Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony Guarantee." I tried for two weeks to get somebody to fix it and even the supervisors said, "if you want an unobstructed balcony, you have to pay more." The Super Studio balconies are not obstructed. They are still selling Super Studio Balconies even though there are none available, so they can switch people to rooms that no one wants - a view of the life boats.:mad:

I don't see how that helps to go through CSR and managers. You get what you get with a GTY. If you don't want an upgrade, you need to not book a GTY. If you are upset because of the obstruction, then you may be able to get put back into the GTY pool but could end up with the same cabin or cabin type.

I've had a ton of obstructed balconies and they aren't bad, especially if you save a substantial amount of money.

Agreed.. Apologies, I've gone back and re-read the OP properly now and now see (s)he has been given a higher category cabin than that which was booked. At first I though they'd been given a lower one.

As said, if you don't want to be unhappy, book the cabin you want and pay a bit more

If the guarantee reservation said "Stateroom Guarantee, Our Choice," I would understand and probably would NOT have booked it for fear of ending up next to the engine room. But my confirmed reservation explicitly said "Super Studio Ocean View Stateroom with Balcony Guarantee." I tried for two weeks to get somebody to fix it and even the supervisors said, "if you want an unobstructed balcony, you have to pay more." The Super Studio balconies are not obstructed. They are still selling Super Studio Balconies even though there are none available, so they can switch people to rooms that no one wants - a view of the life boats.:mad:

You did not understand what a guarantee booking was at the time you booked it. You are guaranteed a minimum of a super studio, you got a DO, obstructed view balcony, which is considered a higher category cabin.

For what it's worth, my Mom is sailing with my DH and I on the Anthem in a few weeks and she also booked a super studio guarantee. She was also assigned a DO, obstructed view balcony. She is happy to have a larger cabin without having to pay a single supplement. I also know there are several others on our sailing that booked super studio guarantees and were given a DO. Seems to happen often.

As has been stated, a full sized DO is a big step up.

Be aware that while that some DO's have very obstructed views, others have little to no obstruction. You need to do some homework to find a good one. There are numerous threads on cc with reviews and pictures of DO's. Once you find a a good one that's empty have your ta ask Royal to move you. As long as the new cabin is the same category as your current one (both DO) they will do this for you, no problem.

Couldn't read what ship you're on, but if it's Anthem, take a look at the DO's on decks 7 and 8 forward. Their only obstruction is the porthole-like cutout. Doesn't impede your view at all.

:eek: Look at the attached confirmations please. It should not have said "Super Studio Balcony Guarantee;" it should have said "Pot Luck." Classic bait and switch. If there are no Super Studio Balconies, don't sell them. That simple.

1056845311_BaitSwitch.jpg.b618409402dd0fc7a9e184478dbbafe6.jpg

You need to read everything on the page when you book a guarantee. It specifically says this when you choose a guarantee:

OR, LET US CHOOSE FOR YOU

With this best-value option you'll be assigned to one of the staterooms listed above.

One of the categories listed above is a DO, obstructed view balcony.

:eek: Look at the attached confirmations please. It should not have said "Super Studio Balcony Guarantee;" it should have said "Pot Luck." Classic bait and switch. If there are no Super Studio Balconies, don't sell them. That simple.

You got an upgrade to a bigger (double occupancy)room without having to pay the single supplement. A guarantee is always a pot luck...however you get exactly what you are guaranteed OR something in a category ABOVE and the 'DO' rooms are a few categories above. So you have some options: Enjoy it, cancel it, ask to be moved back into the pool or ask for a better DO category room where they can move you.

Edited by Arzeena

OK ... you are not understanding the meaning of guarantee in this context of cruising, Royal Caribbean, or what anyone else is trying to explain to you. You are not guaranteed a super studio balcony. You are guaranteed a super studio balcony or better. Generally (but not always) when there is a guarantee cabin option, there is also an option to buy a specific available cabin in that category (which usually costs more than the guarantee). You did not buy a specific cabin. In other words, it DID essentially say POTLUCK, but you either IGNORED that or did not read/understand what you booked (which is why travel agents tend to be ever so helpful for newbies).

Many people here are trying to be sympathetic because we understand that the ins-outs of cabin bookings are sometimes difficult for new cruisers. However, screaming BAIT AND SWITCH will not work because, quite simply, it was not. I hope that RCI will help you out, but you'd better come at it as it being YOUR misunderstanding (because it was). Starting out by blaming the company for giving you exactly what you bought (studio or better and you got a "better") is probably not going to be successful.

PS ... I do appreciate that you've come back, read, and responded OP. Many come here, make their first rant, and then never return.

I am sorry that I reached out to warn people of the obvious switching when RC is selling a highly publicized new kind of room. To check if I in fact screwed up per reallyitsmema, I just went to the RC site and it DOES NOT show the SS Guarantee as including any room above. See attached screen clips. In fact nowhere does it warn that what you are booking is NOT what you are going to get. The guarantee is a ruse to move you to less desirable/sell-able rooms.

I have cancelled my reservation with RC. Merion_Mom, you are very kind in your offer. I in fact asked the RC supervisor to do just that. She refused. I told her some of the DO cabins do not have obstructions, but I didn't know which ones. No difference. I said all I want is an unobstructed balcony, I don't care what size, what category, what deck, what location. Made no difference, except for her offer to charge me more. Their customer resolution staff are a joke.

P.S. I am sorry if the three attachments (first posting, mid-way and now) are illegible. They do support what I am saying. CruiseCritic must have downsized them.

Happy sailing to you all. I am sticking with Carnival.

Clipboard.jpg.03aac858a370fc7140dc7d571b260b6f.jpg

I am sorry that I reached out to warn people of the obvious switching when RC is selling a highly publicized new kind of room. To check if I in fact screwed up per reallyitsmema, I just went to the RC site and it DOES NOT show the SS Guarantee as including any room above. See attached screen clips. In fact nowhere does it warn that what you are booking is NOT what you are going to get. The guarantee is a ruse to move you to less desirable/sell-able rooms.

I have cancelled my reservation with RC. Merion_Mom, you are very kind in your offer. I in fact asked the RC supervisor to do just that. She refused. I told her some of the DO cabins do not have obstructions, but I didn't know which ones. No difference. I said all I want is an unobstructed balcony, I don't care what size, what category, what deck, what location. Made no difference, except for her offer to charge me more. Their customer resolution staff are a joke.

P.S. I am sorry if the three attachments (first posting, mid-way and now) are illegible. They do support what I am saying. CruiseCritic must have downsized them.

It's not her job to hold your hand.

As a matter of fact, it's not MY job either, but I offered.

Good luck, with whatever vacation you decide to take.

May it be mistake and trouble free.

:rolleyes:

The quote I posted came from doing a mock booking for a cruise that I found has a guarantee rate available. I would do I screen shot of it if I could, but it will end up being little like the ones you are doing. I don't have an online account on a photo site to host the photos, maybe someone else will do a screen shot for us.

Enjoy your next cruise on whatever line you choose but look at a guarantee stateroom again another time once you calm down. You just didn't understand the type of rate you booked. It is a confusing rate.

Edit to add:

I was able to enlarge your last screen shots and those aren't for guarantee rates, it would have been the last rate shown below that screen shot if that rate was still offered. The guarantee rate I found was for an October sailing of Anthem.

Edited by reallyitsmema

If the ship was the Anthem, you were given a very nice and spacious room. We were a few doors down and the lifeboat was never a problem. You could stand and look over and see everything, It was just obstructed when you sat down, but could look down at deck 5 promenade.

I would gladly book this catagory again. I really think you are loosing out by canceling. The Anthem is awesome and so was your upgrade!!;)

I can certainly understand why OP is unhappy. But OP should have been advised that the Studio Balcony is the MINIMUM grade they would get and COULD be upgraded to anything above it, including even an obstructed view. If all the StudioBalconies are totally sold out, I would agree they should stop selling GTY's in that category. I put some blame on OP for taking a GTY, but not all the blame in this case.

Some of you people are pretty darn nasty to those who come here with an issue. Shame on you.

The complained about cabin is a 75% obstructed view balcony. I remember on Anthem our cabin crawl included a deck 6 75% obstructed view balcony: 6682. If this view ruins your cruise, while you are being upgraded to a larger cabin, and getting 2 C&A points per night (as opposed to 1 for the studio) - then yeah, Royal not for you.

c207fd4f4bc5de69cf510cbecbc74d4d.jpg

028aa086f61fdec33046093e8867e308.jpg