Drink package question - Does everyone in cabin need to have one?

From the fine print for my next sailing:

TERMS AND CONDITIONS: *Prices subject to change without notice. Packages cannot be shared and are not transferable. Your check may reflect an additional tax for certain ports or itineraries. When ordering a beverage selection onboard, you must present your SeaPass card bearing the package sticker to your server. Package does not include room service or in-stateroom purchases, mini bar items, Evian water, canned sodas, bottled juice and souvenir glassware, specialty beers as listed on bar menus, or super premium category beverages. Upon arriving to the ship, please visit the Alcohol display table at the ships Expo, check your Cruise Compass or ask your dining room waiter for more information. Package is subject to the terms of Royal Caribbean International's Alcohol Policy. Beverage Packages must be pre-reserved a minimum of 2 days before your sail date. If you are within the cut off time, please visit a beverage table on the first day of your cruise to complete your purchase. Please note that orders cannot be modified once they have uren pruchased. To change an order, you will need to first cancel the existing order and then make a new purchase for your desired beverage package.

We are traveling on the Adventure in January. Does everyone in the cabin need to purchase a drink package or can 1 person purchase it only? Is sharing "allowed" ?

Sharing is something they don't take kindly to.......

When RC started the drink package that was how it operated, everyone adult had to have the drink package. Then very shortly after that they did away with both having to have it.

Actually, they started testing it in the UK with no requirement that all were required to purchase. I think it was only a few weeks into the test that they decided all had to purchase, and months later that's how it was introduced to US based cruises.

I believe that if there is enough "sharing" going on across the fleet, RCI will take the Carnival approach... Everyone in the cabin must have the same level of package.

Probably don't want to go there.

That will be tragic!

Integrity is doing the right thing even when you aren't being watched/ can get caught . Some people have it. Some people don't. The ones that don't will eventually ruin it for the ones that do.

So true!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have given some drinks to my wife.

And sodas to the kids a few times.

No biggie.....

Why? Did you think that was an OK thing to do? Think about all the money DH and I could save sharing a package. We could cruise once more a year. Please don't ruin it for everyone.

I have given some drinks to my wife.

And sodas to the kids a few times.

No biggie.....

It might have been easier to put a "Kick Me!" sign on your back than post this.

Especially the part about sodas for your kids (since it's such a drop in the bucket in the scheme of things).

Why? Did you think that was an OK thing to do? Think about all the money DH and I could save sharing a package. We could cruise once more a year. Please don't ruin it for everyone.

Not exactly sharing my drink package.

I gave my wife & kids a few drinks.

Actually the bartender gave them the soda, I just asked if they can have one....

It might have been easier to put a "Kick Me!" sign on your back than post this.

Especially the part about sodas for your kids (since it's such a drop in the bucket in the scheme of things).

Everyone gets so angry on this subject, like someone is taking directly from them..

However, the people who try to police everyone about giving away drinks.

Are the same ones who bring a case of water & soda.

They just like to pick & choose the rules they want follow..

the people who try to police everyone about giving away drinks Are the same ones who bring a case of water & soda.

I don't see how you could know what posters on this board pack.

I, for one, object to cheating on this front even though we do not smuggle booze, water or soda (why would we need to if we have a package)?

There are many couples where one drinks enough for the package to make sense and the other might not drink at all, so I sympathize with those who want to dissuade you from forcing RCCL in to the "Carnival" approach.

Your post makes no sense, why would folks who have a package smuggle? And why would folks who don't have a package object to those who do sharing with their family? Makes no sense for either to object...

I think you may have had a bit of a brain fart on this issue.

Edited by nealstuber

Everyone gets so angry on this subject, like someone is taking directly from them..

However, the people who try to police everyone about giving away drinks.

Are the same ones who bring a case of water & soda.

They just like to pick & choose the rules they want follow..

Wrong assumption bucko . I have not ever brought anything on board other than the 2 allotted bottles of wine.

And if the packages become widely abused they will be taken away( FTR we don't buy packages either ). Oh and we abide by the dress code, do not smoke on our balcony or otherwise selfishly disregard any guidelines presented by the cruise line. See, we have integrity and will do as requested because it is polite to do so and fails to negatively impact our vacation in any way whatsoever

In fairness to the guy who shared with kids. Depending on the kid's age, I get it to some extent.

My daughter will be 18 months when we go. We don't give her juice, it just has too much sugar in it. My mom will have a premium drink package I won't, as I won't be drinking enough of anything but water (and perhaps some wine at dinner)while I'm aboard with my daughter. I can bet that my mom will want to get something my daughter will enjoy a few sips of (non-alcoholic fun drink). Does that warrant a full package, or even a full purchase of a drink just for my little one? I'm not entirely sure-nor do I think that's ripping RCL off or trying to subvert the system. I have to pay a full fare rate for her to come on the cruise (my daughter) and they do not have activities for kids her age. She will barely be eating full meals at that point. The only reason she's coming on this cruise is that it's a family vacation to celebrate my Mom & Dad's anniversary.

Point is, I wish RCL had a package that was more sensibly priced with kids in mind. The cost for a package that would be appealing to a child my daughters age is just ridiculous. I know there are some that believe children don't even belong on cruises, but frankly, the age my daughter is at, I was floored I even had to pay full fare for her. It was a bit shocking when we first investigated.

For those that object, I get it, but what better solutions do you have? Purchasing a full drink for my daughter who won't drink the whole thing and the only person who would finish it on her behalf is my mom (I don't drink things with sugar in them) just doesn't seem to make sense when my mom already will have the package. There's ripping the system off to the extent of getting 1 package to split between 4 people and grabbing something to drink that your kid will like when you know they won't finish the whole thing anyway.

In fairness to the guy who shared with kids. Depending on the kid's age, I get it to some extent.

My daughter will be 18 months when we go.

For those that object, I get it, but what better solutions do you have? Purchasing a full drink for my daughter who won't drink the whole thing and the only person who would finish it on her behalf is my mom (I don't drink things with sugar in them) just doesn't seem to make sense when my mom already will have the package. There's ripping the system off to the extent of getting 1 package to split between 4 people and grabbing something to drink that your kid will like when you know they won't finish the whole thing anyway.

an 18 month old does not NEED a drink package of ANY sort. freely available is milk, juice from concentrate, iced tea and lemonade plus a flavored water as well as plain tap water.

the fact that someone else will 'finish off her drink' is irrelevant.

do I take a single sip of some of the beers my husband drinks on occasion? yes. does he take a single sip of my wines? sometimes. if I let him( I am very possessive of my fermented grape juice)

but that is not sharing to most people. especially since WE BOTH HAVE PACKAGES OF OUR OWN.

obtaining ANY drink on your package for someone else is sharing. even if that person only drinks half. or a third. it doesn't matter that the person whose package it was obtained under then downs the remainder. it was not obtained FOR THE PERSON WHOSE PACKAGE IT WAS.

My daughter will be 18 months when we go. We don't give her juice, it just has too much sugar in it. My mom will have a premium drink package I won't, as I won't be drinking enough of anything but water (and perhaps some wine at dinner)while I'm aboard with my daughter. I can bet that my mom will want to get something my daughter will enjoy a few sips of (non-alcoholic fun drink). Does that warrant a full package, or even a full purchase of a drink just for my little one? I'm not entirely sure-nor do I think that's ripping RCL off or trying to subvert the system. I have to pay a full fare rate for her to come on the cruise (my daughter) and they do not have activities for kids her age. She will barely be eating full meals at that point. The only reason she's coming on this cruise is that it's a family vacation to celebrate my Mom & Dad's anniversary.

Point is, I wish RCL had a package that was more sensibly priced with kids in mind. The cost for a package that would be appealing to a child my daughters age is just ridiculous. I know there are some that believe children don't even belong on cruises, but frankly, the age my daughter is at, I was floored I even had to pay full fare for her. It was a bit shocking when we first investigated.

This is where the "buy as you go" comes in. You don't have to purchase a whole package. Just buy one at a time.

Sure, you're just one person, only "sharing" three to four drinks over the course of 7 (or more) days. But 3000 people only "sharing" three to four drinks over the same time frame adds up to a LOT of lost revenue for the cruise line.

Put on your big boy pants and pay.

Was just talking to a Crown & Anchor rep about the drink packages as I've never purchased one. She said they're doing a trial on some ship with 10 drink punch cards that can be shared. Has anyone been on a ship with these? There is no grautity attached to this, it's a flat cost. Any info?

Was just talking to a Crown & Anchor rep about the drink packages as I've never purchased one. She said they're doing a trial on some ship with 10 drink punch cards that can be shared. Has anyone been on a ship with these? There is no grautity attached to this, it's a flat cost. Any info?

We had them on Vision earlier this year, for $79 and $84 per 10-drink card. I've read about them on other ships and the price varies. If the gratuity is not included in the price, then it will be added at the time the card is purchased. When they appear, it seems to appear no earlier than the midpoint of the cruise.