Drink package question - Does everyone in cabin need to have one?

Why? Did you think that was an OK thing to do? Think about all the money DH and I could save sharing a package. We could cruise once more a year. Please don't ruin it for everyone.

get off your high horse..... He had the integrity to truthful and honest to the original post and that is who he is talking to....

put your pitchfork and torch away.....

everytime this topic comes up "you" people come out.....

an 18 month old does not NEED a drink package of ANY sort. freely available is milk, juice from concentrate, iced tea and lemonade plus a flavored water as well as plain tap water.

the fact that someone else will 'finish off her drink' is irrelevant.

do I take a single sip of some of the beers my husband drinks on occasion? yes. does he take a single sip of my wines? sometimes. if I let him( I am very possessive of my fermented grape juice)

but that is not sharing to most people. especially since WE BOTH HAVE PACKAGES OF OUR OWN.

obtaining ANY drink on your package for someone else is sharing. even if that person only drinks half. or a third. it doesn't matter that the person whose package it was obtained under then downs the remainder. it was not obtained FOR THE PERSON WHOSE PACKAGE IT WAS.

See my post above....this applies to you..... Get off your high horse ..... its a soda and he was talking to the OP, not asking for you bring out your pitchfork. give it a rest.

Edited by Deptacon

get off your high horse..... He had the integrity to truthful and honest to the original post and that is who he is talking to....

put your pitchfork and torch away.....

everytime this topic comes up "you" people come out.....

I agree totally.

Why do people care so much and get so angry over this subject?

It is almost like someone is taking something personally from them.

I agree totally.

Why do people care so much and get so angry over this subject?

It is almost like someone is taking something personally from them.

I believe the point is that if "sharing" becomes rampant then it may affect everyone. RC will return to requiring everyone in the cabin to purchase a package, as some lines still do. Also drink prices will increase to cover the losses, whether the losses are actual or perceived, so it could be seen as personal.

I believe the point is that if "sharing" becomes rampant then it may affect everyone. RC will return to requiring everyone in the cabin to purchase a package, as some lines still do. Also drink prices will increase to cover the losses, whether the losses are actual or perceived, so it could be seen as personal.

Exactly and I don't appreciate being berated for asking why someone thinks it's ok. Do these people share all you can eat buffets?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Everyone gets so angry on this subject, like someone is taking directly from them..

However, the people who try to police everyone about giving away drinks.

Are the same ones who bring a case of water & soda.

They just like to pick & choose the rules they want follow..

You really think it's the same people? Huh.

If you keep on sharing like that, they might indeed take things away from us. I drink. Dh doesn't. He likes the replenish package. I don't get my money's worth with it so I get the water package and buy other things a la carte. If you keep sharing, we might both have to get replenish (or worse have my son get that too, which would be obnoxious) or get none at all.

In fairness to the guy who shared with kids. Depending on the kid's age, I get it to some extent.

My daughter will be 18 months when we go. We don't give her juice, it just has too much sugar in it. My mom will have a premium drink package I won't, as I won't be drinking enough of anything but water (and perhaps some wine at dinner)while I'm aboard with my daughter. I can bet that my mom will want to get something my daughter will enjoy a few sips of (non-alcoholic fun drink).

You won't let her have juice but you're cool with a frozen piña colada? Now I've heard everything.

Island Oasis is the brande they use on Royal for drinks. Check out the website for the nutrition info and see if you're cool with that.

I wouldn't be. At 18 month my son was still at least 90% nursed with food as play. There is zero need for juice or "fun" drinks.

Oh believe me, I know there is. However, grandma (my mom) will try to spoil my daughter when I'm not looking. I know this. It's okay with me. It's one of the reasons we are trying to be good about it, because we know she'll get special treats with the grandparents, etc. We have a high risk of Type 2 in our family, so my biggest goal is just trying to teach my daughter from a young age that drinks like that (and even juices, etc) are for special occasions and not all the time. But while we're on vacation, I'm not going to begrudge my mom a chance to get a virgin drink mix and give my daughter a sip.

DH's family is at risk too. Therefore I take this very seriously with my son, and I glad I didn't prime his taste buds to juices etc when he was a baby. In this case, the "spoiling" your mom wants to do might actually harm her life.

Since she's not used to the sweetness, the free apple juice etc will be just fine and just as much of a treat.

Is bottled water included in the Royal Replenish package? I really don't want to bring a case of water onboard. Thank you!

Yes. Bottled spring water (not Evian though, but things like Crystal Geyser etc) is part of replenish.

I agree with everyone regarding the sharing of the drink package and I disagree with everyone. I have sailed Carnival and did not get the drink package for the simple fact that my wife is not a big drinker and the cost was crazy.

With RCL, I can purchase a drink package for my self and if she wants a drink she orders it and charges it to the room. We also look for deals that give us OBC, we also add OBC to our ship account before we actually cruise so the cost is not a big shock at the end of the cruise, a little here and a little there and before you know it, its all covered.

To all the people who posted a reply in regards to the sharing question....look at it this way, if you were the owner of a bar or restaurant, and your establishment offered an unlimited drink package and sold it to half the people but then saw or heard that they were sharing the package, how would you feel? What would you do?

$13 for a drink is a high price to pay, but it could be a lot worse....and it may soon be.

You really think it's the same people? Huh.

If you keep on sharing like that, they might indeed take things away from us. I drink. Dh doesn't. He likes the replenish package. I don't get my money's worth with it so I get the water package and buy other things a la carte. If you keep sharing, we might both have to get replenish (or worse have my son get that too, which would be obnoxious) or get none at all.

You won't let her have juice but you're cool with a frozen piña colada? Now I've heard everything.

Island Oasis is the brande they use on Royal for drinks. Check out the website for the nutrition info and see if you're cool with that.

I wouldn't be. At 18 month my son was still at least 90% nursed with food as play. There is zero need for juice or "fun" drinks.

DH's family is at risk too. Therefore I take this very seriously with my son, and I glad I didn't prime his taste buds to juices etc when he was a baby. In this case, the "spoiling" your mom wants to do might actually harm her life.

Since she's not used to the sweetness, the free apple juice etc will be just fine and just as much of a treat.

Yes. Bottled spring water (not Evian though, but things like Crystal Geyser etc) is part of replenish.

Thank you for your parenting tips, it's much appreciated.

Wow... all this lecturing tells me that some need to use their drink package right now and chill out a bit.

It's my belief that the experience of ordering a drink for myself, my wife, or someone I wish to order a drink for, is between my bartender and myself. Not anyone else. This means if she/he (bartender) allows me to order two drinks on my drink package then so be it. Or if I'm required to pay for them, then so be it. But it doesn't pertain to anyone else on this board and/or on the ship.

"Drinks around the bar bartender!" :D

OMG people. Letting a baby take a few sips (SIPS!) of a fruity drink is not going to ruin her for life. :rolleyes:

I think the issue is that the OP isn't really making a lot of sense. On the one hand she says they don't let the baby have any juice or sugary drinks at home but having them on vacation is ok since it's just an occasional treat. That's fine, most people get that. But then she seems to imply that the vacation treats can't just be juice or lemonade or fruit punch, she wants them be frozen frou frou drinks that cost money but she wants a special price on them since the baby will only take a few sips.

I'll ask the OP again: If the baby doesn't get any sugary drinks at home, and as you've said, will only take a few sips anyway, why isn't it enough of a treat to simply give her drinks that are included, like juice, lemonade, or fruit punch? It would eliminate the whole question of sharing and it would eliminate the need to purchase anything for her, be it a package or a la carte at either a regular or special price? If she never gets sugary stuff at home, surely this would be enough of a "treat," for an 18-month old, no?

Can we just close this topic now and concentrate on the cruise related things that might be of interest to all of us? How people raise/nourish their kids is really none of my concern (well, it is when they get to be brats and annoy everyone else, but that's a different story!)

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one and let it go!!!

I think the issue is that the OP isn't really making a lot of sense. On the one hand she says they don't let the baby have any juice or sugary drinks at home but having them on vacation is ok since it's just an occasional treat. That's fine, most people get that. But then she seems to imply that the vacation treats can't just be juice or lemonade or fruit punch, she wants them be frozen frou frou drinks that cost money but she wants a special price on them since the baby will only take a few sips.

I'll ask the OP again: If the baby doesn't get any sugary drinks at home, and as you've said, will only take a few sips anyway, why isn't it enough of a treat to simply give her drinks that are included, like juice, lemonade, or fruit punch? It would eliminate the whole question of sharing and it would eliminate the need to purchase anything for her, be it a package or a la carte at either a regular or special price? If she never gets sugary stuff at home, surely this would be enough of a "treat," for an 18-month old, no?

1. Not OP

2. Asked about special pricing for Kid's sized specialty drinks because there are other children (not just mine) that are coming on board and it'd be good to know and personally, I think a great idea for them to try. Sorry for trying to find a solution to a problem.

3. Not really your concern which drink I let my child try, but I know my mom. She won't push the regular juices as a treat(in her mind they aren't- they're just juice...something she had no problem with us drinking tons of when we were little. She's of the generation that it's good for you). She will try and treat my daughter with a specialty blender drink. That's how my mom thinks. It's also a trip for my mom and my dad to celebrate their anniversary after almost losing my mom in a car accident earlier this year. I'm not super interested in picking fights with my mom regarding what constitutes a treat. If she wants to order a virgin pina colada for my daughter to try, it's not worth the fight. Not with the year we've had.

4. The parenting advice on this forum is absolutely is excellent. I wish I had all of your help raising my child on the nights she is up teething and more. If anyone would like to volunteer, I happily accept your advice. Anyone else, you only needed to answer the question about whether RCCL offered specialty drinks in kid sizes. And the relevant questions to business procedures. Not provide commentary to how we are deciding to parent on this trip. Unless my well behaved child is taking drinks from your hand, none of your business.

5. Finally, every thread I read where someone questions how the cruise industry is run, tends to develop into a whole group of individuals who feel the cruise companies can do no wrong, and how dare someone question anything involved in it. Guess what, people will find some things that make them uncomfortable about the cruise ships, question whether there will still be value, or wish there could be better options. If you have never complained or wished a cruise line could do better- you are either a robot or a company man/woman. In the end, no one is harmed in asking these questions nor is it wrong to do so.

3. Not really your concern which drink I let my child try

you only needed to answer the question about whether RCCL offered specialty drinks in kid sizes. And the relevant questions to business procedures. Not provide commentary to how we are deciding to parent on this trip. Unless my well behaved child is taking drinks from your hand, none of your business.

5. Finally, every thread I read where someone questions how the cruise industry is run, tends to develop into a whole group of individuals who feel the cruise companies can do no wrong

Oh for God's sake! Personally I don't care what you let your kid try, and I don't care if she has a sip or two of grandma's virgin colada, as I agree with you- that's not really "sharing" a drink (provided of course that it really is just a couple sips). But it seemed very confusing as to why she couldn't just have a lemonade or a fruit punch. While it's nice that you wondered about it on behalf of anonymous other passengers, the only person in your care that you mentioned was your daughter, so I had to think that your real concern was figuring out the most cost effective way to buy drinks for your daughter. And trust me, I am not of the "the cruise line can do no wrong." Far from it.

Edited by waterbug123

Juju bird - You originally only mentioned your child and now ask about other children coming on board and drinks for kids in general.

It is probably not cost effective to make mini drinks. My grandkids range in age from 7-13 (there are five of them). They drink only the free drinks - are not allowed soda. They are perfectly happy with punch, lemonade, flavored waters, milk, etc. Even the youngest can easily down a full-size glass. They are super active and in hot climates drink loads. I just cannot imagine a mini drink, even for thr youngest. If we choose to buy a milk shake or virgin drink as a treat they would definitely finish it - even the youngest. I think that's the reason ...... It's not needed!

I have seen parents take free soft serve and mix with free juice to make a little sippy cup of treat; works well.

Also, I would not share with them - they don't sip anyway - they drink! I would either buy the drink or the package - whichever was most economical.

• 10 months later...

Looks like RCCL Harmony of the Seas might be testing out the "if 1 person in a cabin buys the package, then EVERYONE (over 21) in the same cabin must also buy the package" again for a few months. Didn't work the first time. Not gonna work this time around.

Looks like RCCL Harmony of the Seas might be testing out the "if 1 person in a cabin buys the package, then EVERYONE (over 21) in the same cabin must also buy the package" again for a few months. Didn't work the first time. Not gonna work this time around.

Yes, there is a current thread discussing the matter.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2518638

Not "might be testing", they are testing it.